Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone see The Hobbit in 3D in the Odeon ?, only 1 in 25 cinemas can show it properly

Options
  • 16-12-2012 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was wondering if anyone had seen the Hobbit in 3D in the Odeon ?, the 3D version of the film runs at 48 frames per second instead of 24 like most films, and apparently according to director Peter Jackson only 1 out of 25 cinemas are properly equipped to show it.

I'm not a huge fan of 3D, out of all the films I did see in 3D, only Avatar and Dredd 3D really made me go "Wow!". This film has got a lot of mixed reviews, some are saying the 3D is great were as others are saying its awful, so I was wondering what anyone who saw it in the Odeon thought. There are 2D showings available but not as many as the 3D showings, I'm working over christmas and might only get a chance to see one of the 3D showings.

I have read the book but please try and avoid spoilers anyway, thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

went to the film today thought it was good

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

tramoreman wrote: »
    went to the film today thought it was good

Did you see it in 2D or 3D ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Im not a fan of 3D either, but decided to see it in 3D this time around so as to get the full experience. I will see it enough times in 2D when it comes out on dvd

I found it doesnt add much to the movie, and if i was to see it again in cinema, it would be in 2D. In some scenes, its difficult to follow the action, as so much is happening between the 3D action and 48 fps that it was hard to keep up. But for the slower moving scenes, it does look great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Saw The Hobbit in 3D last Thursday and I really enjoyed it. OP if Avatar and Dredd in 3D blew you away then you will love The Hobbit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

I saw it in 3D the other day in screen 1. Definately wasn't running at 48 fps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Odeon Waterford is not on this list

http://www.48fpsmovies.com/48-fps-theater-list/

I'm not sure how accurate the list is though.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

watched it in 3d

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

The whole thing of 24 fps / 48 fps is BS IMO. I honestly don't believe you are going to notice the difference, especially if it's in 3D. When showing 3D films the projectors use a technique called 'triple flashing'.

If you are going to watch a 48fps 3D film you are going to have some headache at the end of it, especially if it's a long film such as 'The Hobbit'

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭TeRmInAlCrAzY

Saw The Hobbit in the Point cinema in Dublin.

48fps was noticeable, and I liked it :)

No headache at the end, have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

It's a shame to hear that the cinema down here doesn't have a 48 FPS projector....not surprised tbh. Still looking forward to the movie regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

It's a shame to hear that the cinema down here doesn't have a 48 FPS projector....not surprised tbh. Still looking forward to the movie regardless.
    Who said it doesn't have a 48fps projector? Odeon are advertising their Waterford cinema on their website as being capable of showing the film in 3D HFR.

I'd like to know myself as the 48fps is the only reason I want to see the film. I've sent them an email - will post the reply here if I get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,754 ✭✭✭lertsnim

b0ardsUser wrote: »
    The whole thing of 24 fps / 48 fps is BS IMO. I honestly don't believe you are going to notice the difference, especially if it's in 3D. When showing 3D films the projectors use a technique called 'triple flashing'.

If you are going to watch a 48fps 3D film you are going to have some headache at the end of it, especially if it's a long film such as 'The Hobbit'

You should really see it before you rubbish it. I had no headache after watching it in Dungarvan last week and heard of no complaints about headaches.

If you cannot see a difference then you are not watching HFR 48fps

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nobodyknows

The Odeon can't do 48fps, the staff member behind the counter seemed a bit shocked that the website was advertising HFR

lertsnim wrote: »
    You should really see it before you rubbish it. I had no headache after watching it in Dungarvan last week and heard of no complaints about headaches.

If you cannot see a difference then you are not watching HFR 48fps

Seen it in 3D 48fps, no difference...

The Odeon can't do 48fps, the staff member behind the counter seemed a bit shocked that the website was advertising HFR

Assuming you're talking about this where it was advertised http://www.odeoncinemas.ie/fanatic/film_info/m100469/The_Hobbit_An_Unexpected_Journey_3D/ it says selected cinemas.

There is a massive difference. I have a 200 hz tv, when you run any blu-ray through that, it looks nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Bull, there's a clear difference.

Absolute bollocks. Where did you see it?

Bull, there's a clear difference.
    Yeah, I've read loads of reviews & comments about it and the general consensus is that if you didn't notice a difference then there's no way you actually saw it in 48fps.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭nobodyknows

Assuming you're talking about this where it was advertised http://www.odeoncinemas.ie/fanatic/film_info/m100469/The_Hobbit_An_Unexpected_Journey_3D/ it says selected cinemas.

on that page if you go the the section where it says "High Frame Rate (HFR) performances of 'The Hobbit' " in bold it shows two links if you want to see the film in "HFR 3D" or "HFR ISENSE 3D"
    when you go into the HFR 3D (http://www.odeoncinemas.ie/fanatic/film_info/m100473/The_Hobbit_An_Unexpected_Journey_HFR_3D/) page it currently only gives the option of Limerick were as the week before it showed all the cinemas

It was written on the ticket too which i no longer have but it was also advertised as HFR in the email I received http://postimage.org/image/w6yeunmqt/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭ec18

the hfr screens in ireland are in the odeon at the point, blanchardstown and cine world in parnell street

see here for odeons it's available in.

I saw it in the point cinema and there was a huge difference between that and normal 3D movies.

ec18 wrote: »
    the hfr screens in ireland are in the odeon at the point, blanchardstown and cine world in parnell street

SGC Dungarvan has one too

From the horse's mouth:
    Thank you for your email.

I can confirm that the ODEON Waterford does not have the projector capacity to show this film in the higher frame rate.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to email us again or call 1520 88 00 00* between 11am and 8pm.

Regards,

Lisa
    ODEON Guest Services

lertsnim wrote: »
    Absolute bollocks. Where did you see it?

A Cinema in the UK

Of course you did. Probably the only HFR showing in the world that didn't look any different. I do hope you had some aspirin for the headaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jimbojetdriver

Seen it yesterday in the full HFR on the isense screen at the Odeon in Blanchardstown. Gotta say it was pretty amazing, picture was unreal. Only downside is its gonna make any other film look a bit crap from now on.

Also the first 3d film I've seen where I could actually see the full benefits of 3d. Use to think it was a gimmick but I've completely changed tune now!!

The film itself though, thoroughly enjoyed it, nice balance between action and quiet parts. Must see 5 stars made all the better with the HFR.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

Saw it in the Odeon, definitely wasn't 48 fps and the 3D was forgetable, but the film itself rocked :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Tess Tickle

i went to see The Hobbit but the Aras was closed.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

blaa85 wrote: »
    There is a massive difference. I have a 200 hz tv, when you run any blu-ray through that, it looks nuts.
    Refresh rate has very little to do with frame rate.

A 24fps film played through any TV set is still going to just be 24FPS. The other "frames" that make up the 200Hz are blank or interpolated frames.

• Advertisement

Refresh rate has very little to do with frame rate.

A 24fps film played through any TV set is still going to just be 24FPS. The other "frames" that make up the 200Hz are blank or interpolated frames.

Same sort of effect though, whatever does it. No motion blur, more defined picture, like looking at real life, etc. The Dark Knight is a constant showpiece anytime someone comes over and hasn't seen the tv before. The scenes shot in IMAX are unreal. I've only seen the Hobbit in standard 3D, but we had a few sessions where we watched the lotr trilogy in the run up and one of the guys who has seen 48fps version has said it's very similar.

Advertisement