Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best shop bought mincemeat?

Options
  • 16-12-2012 9:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭

I know making my own would be a million times better but alas that wasn't to happen this year.
    So that leaves shop bought mincemeat for mince pies.

What is the general consensus as to the best mincemeat from a jar?
    I've heard some say that Aldi's is pretty good.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I've only ever used Chivers and it was nice. The Odlums woman on Ireland AM advises grating an apple into shop bought mincemeat, which I did, and it definitely improved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Aldi's is really nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Whatever mincemeat I buy I always add a little grated or chopped apple and a glug of brandy. I don't like mincemeat but hubby said it tasted good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Thanks guys, my mother was planning on putting grated apple on top anyway to make it a bit fresher. We'd gotten Chivers previously but we didn't like it. Might try the Aldi one then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭joanas

the aldi one is fab! I buy it every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭mhairesa

This year I've tried 3 types: chivers, Marks ad Spencer classic and Lakeshore(bought insSuperquinn).

In my opinion the Lakeshore wins hands down! Delicious :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Thanks everyone! :)

Advertisement