Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2hour drive with our dog!!

• 16-12-2012 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

So were travelling form dublin to limerick for Christmas and were bringing our dog with us, shes 15 months old. We haven't brought on a long drive like this before. Ive got the seat-belt attachment for the car so shes not jumping around. Im going to put her bed in the back seat beside my son so im hoping she will be calm enough. But still worried.

Any tips for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

My JRT is an absolute disaster in the car, he's an old dog at this stage though, but I find if I sit in the back and wrap a blanket around him and hold him it keeps him quite a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You could maybe try so DAP/KalmAid but from experience of going Dublin<->Cork they usually go asleep especially when they have somebody to snuggle in with! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Lambo28

The vet recommended me to get that calm aid, but then said she didn't think i would need it as shes such a good natured dog. I think i might get it just in case. Id be worried it would have the opposite effect on her and make her hyper!!

What should i do about food etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

It'll be fine. For 2 hours I wouldn't worry too much about food - maybe some treats though and make sure you have water - dogs can get a bit dehydrated in the car. Stop at least once for the dog to go to the loo and stretch the legs.

I take mine up north (3hours) and to Kerry (4 hours). A good walk before we set off helps - they're tired then and usually just go to sleep.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Just stop on the 60 mins mark and give the dog a 5 min walk and a bowl of water, dog will be grand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

TBH if she has your son beside her I'd say she'd be fine and probably won't need the Kalm Aid etc - unless she gets upset in the car? When we were driving to Cork it was for vet appointments and we had to fast my dog - he cried for his breakfast and treats lol! On the way back I fed him and he conked out. We opened the window just enough for him to sniff out and that kept him occupied when he wasn't asleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

I travel from Limerick to Dublin with my german shepherds all the time!! Elvis is only 11 months old and has mad the trip a few times already :) there always the finest in the car! the time never bothers them! just a good walk before ye set off so they're good and relaxed and have done there business before travelling :)

I remember when I was younger we had a Yorkie at home and he hated the radio so we always had to have it lowered down when he was in the car haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

For two hours, I'd just drive straight through, i'm sure your dog stays inside in the evening for longer than that, flaked out in front of the fire. I probably wouldn't feed anything for about 4 hours before the journey, have a bottle of water and a bowl handy just in case, but we often do long drives with our dogs, and even when we stop for water, they very seldom take any.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭rorrissey

First time I brought my GSD Retriever X from Cork to Kerry he slept most of the way, but then when the road got rough he vomited his breakfast all over me.
    On the way back my uncle, who is a farmer told us not to feed him breakfast the morning we were going to leave, and Gussie ended up vomiting before we even got in the car. I don't know if it was sea water or if he was just hungry, but at least he didn't get sick in the car again. Anyway, ever since he's been fine in the car. I think the first long journey is a bit rough on dogs. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

ah sure it will be grand, my dog is grand in the car either in the hatchback boot or the back seat. every so often when we are not going to fast i let the back window down and let her stick her head out, she loves it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

If you think she might be sick. It would be worth packing a clean up kit.
    Plastic bag, rubber gloves, antiseptic wipes and kitchen roll.

Maybe bring her on a few short trips in the car first if she's not used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

How is the dog in the car in general, if she's relaxed in the car in general then there should be no problems. If she's a pukey dog then don't feed her that morning and cover the car with some towels in case of drool.

She'll probably just sleep and only lift her head when the car stops in traffic.

You can make one stop but 2 hours isn't too long really so if she does her pees n poos before you go she should be fine.

It's 2 and a quater to 2 and a half hours drive for me up home and only when any of our dogs were puppies would I need to stop. We'd generally make one stop anyway along the way but one is all you need for that lenght of journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Lambo28

Well to be honest i was dreading the drive with the dog but it was grand.

We left early xmas eve morning and coming back we left early aswell which helped. We stopped once each way and she done her business. The first half hour in the car on the way down she was very restless, i think she was just getting used to the harness and being attached to the seat belt.

She was so good down in my parents, it was a completely different environment, strange people, a big change for her but she was great.

But since coming back up she has been out of sorts, not eating a lot or drinking a lot. Just being lazy in front of the fire. She doesn't really like big changes.

Should i be worried or let her settle back in to her routine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Let her settle, it's not unusual. Our dog loves trips but also loves being back at home and he gets extra homely/sleepy for a while due to all the adventures he had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

Lambo28 wrote: »
    Well to be honest i was dreading the drive with the dog but it was grand.

We left early xmas eve morning and coming back we left early aswell which helped. We stopped once each way and she done her business. The first half hour in the car on the way down she was very restless, i think she was just getting used to the harness and being attached to the seat belt.

She was so good down in my parents, it was a completely different environment, strange people, a big change for her but she was great.

But since coming back up she has been out of sorts, not eating a lot or drinking a lot. Just being lazy in front of the fire. She doesn't really like big changes.

Should i be worried or let her settle back in to her routine?

She'll be fine in a day or two. Just tired and out of routine. Mine be exactly the same.

Advertisement