Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Steam Christmas Sale 2012 (20th Dec to 4th Jan)***

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Bought psychonauts for the 3rd time. I hate you all for not buying that game when it came out.

I still have the 6 cd version here, vegas 2 to complete my sort of good collection of Rainbow 6 collection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Hitman 2 Silent Assassin, Sim City 4 Deluxe and FEAR for a total of €7 today

Serious nostalgia playing Hitman, haven't played it since it first came out back in 2002 but remembering the first couple of levels very well

Was planning on trying FEAR but 17GB?! What's that all about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Could anyone recommend some games that I wouldn't have to have a high spec pc to play on, I have a HP ultrabook but it only has an intel HD400 in it. I was looking at getting some of the STALKER games, and maybe some of the older Hitman games.

STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl ran perfectly fine on my average Intel HD laptop, I could even manage nearly max settings in DX9 mode (-anti alaising & max shadows), you won't get the great atmospheric lighting effects but still one of my favourite gaming experiences all the same. Don't think you'd manage the other two STALKERS though.

Hitman should be no problem, as mentioned above I just bought Silent Assassin and I'm playing on max settings on the laptop without any problems whatsoever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Opinicus

When did the ability to setup a steam library on a separate drive come in? It's brilliant! PC is going to be left on all night tonight to DL all my games onto my storage harddrive :D

Just bought FTL & Half Life Collection. Have the Orange Box on the xbox but figured it's time to play HL2 as it was meant to be played.

• Advertisement

Harps wrote: »
    STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl ran perfectly fine on my average Intel HD laptop, I could even manage nearly max settings in DX9 mode (-anti alaising & max shadows), you won't get the great atmospheric lighting effects but still one of my favourite gaming experiences all the same. Don't think you'd manage the other two STALKERS though.

Hitman should be no problem, as mentioned above I just bought Silent Assassin and I'm playing on max settings on the laptop without any problems whatsoever
    Brilliant, thanks a mill. Have you got many other games that run fine on that laptop?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Could anyone recommend some games that I wouldn't have to have a high spec pc to play on, I have a HP ultrabook but it only has an intel HD400 in it. I was looking at getting some of the STALKER games, and maybe some of the older Hitman games.

Fallout 3 should run fairly alright on it maybe lowish/medium settings. F.E.A.R and Deus ex are must haves too. And any pretty well any valve games would run very smoothly.

In all honestly you could probably run the vast majority of pre 2009/2010 games reasonably well. But best to double check with google if in doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Opinicus wrote: »
    When did the ability to setup a steam library on a separate drive come in? It's brilliant! PC is going to be left on all night tonight to DL all my games onto my storage harddrive :D

Just bought FTL & Half Life Collection. Have the Orange Box on the xbox but figured it's time to play HL2 as it was meant to be played.

You don't need to re-download them. You can copy/paste the game folder contents to the same directory on the other drive. Then 'delete local content' for the game in Steam and click the 'Install' button again. It will find the files in the new folder and be ready to play in 10 seconds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

LuvSpudz wrote: »
    okay torchlight 2 at that price is very nice, can't say I know orcs must die and divinity though, what are people's opinions on those?

Torchlight 2 = I've played for 212 hours already. If you liked Diablo 2, then you'll love this. It is the spiritual successor to Diablo 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

You don't need to re-download them. You can copy/paste the game folder contents to the same directory on the other drive. Then 'delete local content' for the game in Steam and click the 'Install' button again. It will find the files in the new folder and be ready to play in 10 seconds.

So you don't need to be running the beta anymore to install games to another hard drive?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

SaulGoode9 wrote: »
    There's only a 3% difference in the VAT rates.

Euro Region 1, which includes Ireland, gets shafted on a lot of games. The US usually get the lowest prices, then UK, then Eurozone and Australia. It's a joke really, Valve don't seem to have the same understanding of exchange rates as everyone else.

Oh come on lets not kid ourselves they have a perfect understanding and abuse it as much as possible. Hey steam should I bend over here?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,970 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

gigiya wrote: »
    oh, my god. I heard a wonderful news. this store is big sale. Christmas sale: Extra 15% off on orders over $100 SITEWIDE. WITH COUPON CODE: XMAS 2012. so amazing. is it true? see: http://ym6.com/29o

Welcome to bansville. Population 1.

Brilliant, thanks a mill. Have you got many other games that run fine on that laptop?

Haven't done much gaming on it really but pretty much any game pre 2005/6 should run on high settings, needless to say the likes of Half Life 2, Far Cry, Deus Ex etc are necessities if you've never tried them.

Deus Ex gameplay is a bit dated but having only gotten into PC gaming in the past few years its still easily one of my favourite games and well worth playing, the level of freedom and choice in how you play was/is unheard of, HL2 I'm sure you're heard of and Far Cry, the first half at least, is great fun

Other than that I haven't played much worth while on it though Civilisation IV and Rome Total War play perfectly fine as well so if you're into them thats another few hundred hours sorted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

oh, my god. I heard a wonderful news. this store is big sale. Christmas sale: Extra 15% off on orders over $100 SITEWIDE. WITH COUPON CODE: XMAS 2012. so amazing. is it true? see:

Janice (from friends) stop spamming

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭altairscreed

oh, my god. I heard a wonderful news. this store is big sale. Christmas sale: Extra 15% off on orders over $100 SITEWIDE. WITH COUPON CODE: XMAS 2012. so amazing. is it true? see: http://ym6.com/29o

LOL:rolleyes:

Haven't done much gaming on it really but pretty much any game pre 2005/6 should run on high settings, needless to say the likes of Half Life 2, Far Cry, Deus Ex etc are necessities if you've never tried them.

Deus Ex gameplay is a bit dated but having only gotten into PC gaming in the past few years its still easily one of my favourite games and well worth playing, the level of freedom and choice in how you play was/is unheard of, HL2 I'm sure you're heard of and Far Cry, the first half at least, is great fun

Other than that I haven't played much worth while on it though Civilisation IV and Rome Total War play perfectly fine as well so if you're into them thats another few hundred hours sorted :D

Thanks man, great help :). Want to try playing ARMA CO and get DayZ aswell, but I think thats pushing it haha

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Not on steam but still a bargain.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/bethesda-bundle-18-77-for-11-games-1420251

Bethesda bundle at gamersgate - €26

Brink complete pack
    Dishonored
    Doom 3 BFG edition
    Fallout 3: goty
    Fallout new Vegas - ultimate edition
    Hunted the demons forge
    Rage
    Rogue warrior
    Elder scrolls 3: morrowind goty
    Elder scrolls 4: oblivion goty deluxe
    Elder scrolls 5: skyrim

All, individual steam codes too. Handy if you already own some as then you can give them away.

Click this (http://www.gamersgate.com/shop/addtocart?sku=DDB-BETHESDANYC) to add it straight to your cart.

You should get splinter cell chaos theory at 2.50 its too good to miss if your not able to run hi spec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Just picked up F.E.A.R for €2.24
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/21090/

I didn't realise it when buying it but it also includes the 2 DLC's;
    F.E.A.R. Extraction Point & F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate.

Massive 21GB download but looks like great value.
    MetaCritic reviews give the game 88/100;
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Got Legends of Grimrock now that it's Steamplay.

• Advertisement

Brink complete pack
    Dishonored
    Doom 3 BFG edition
    Hunted the demons forge
    Rage
    Rogue warrior

All, individual steam codes too. Handy if you already own some as then you can give them away.
    is this for real ?:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Picked up Garry's Mod and Monkey Island bundle on Steam, LOTR: War in the North on Greenman and the humble bundle today. So that's 10 games and the indie game movie for €14.75. Not too shabby.

That Bethesda collection posted above is brilliant value, possibly the best deal I've ever seen for games! Will probably buy it just for Dishonoured and Rage, have nearly all of the others.

mewso wrote: »
    Oh come on lets not kid ourselves they have a perfect understanding and abuse it as much as possible. Hey steam should I bend over here?

It seems sarcasm doesn't work over the internet. Who'd have thunk it?

Moon54 wrote: »
    Just picked up F.E.A.R for €2.24
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/21090/

I didn't realise it when buying it but it also includes the 2 DLC's;
    F.E.A.R. Extraction Point & F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate.

Massive 21GB download but looks like great value.
    MetaCritic reviews give the game 88/100;
    http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/fear

How can it possibly be that big though? Bought it myself earlier expecting it to be a few GB at most, I wont be able to play it for ages now because of the ridiculous size

And as just said, is that deal for real? Can't see how they can possibly be making a profit on giving all that away for €26?? I've already played most of them but for anyone who hasn't played Dishonoured or Skyrim the deal is just ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carpejugulum

Brink complete pack
    Dishonored
    Doom 3 BFG edition
    Hunted the demons forge
    Rage
    Rogue warrior

Click this (http://www.gamersgate.com/shop/addtocart?sku=DDB-BETHESDANYC) to add it straight to your cart.
    tumblr_lo2vvnyM0k1qmwtnlo1_400.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Thank Almighty, I so want that bundle....

Lol, looks like the website is swamped atm
    I'm so glad tomorrow is Saturday, wait... today is Saturday :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

How can it possibly be that big though? Bought it myself earlier expecting it to be a few GB at most, I wont be able to play it for ages now because of the ridiculous size

And as just said, is that deal for real? Can't see how they can possibly be making a profit on giving all that away for €26?? I've already played most of them but for anyone who hasn't played Dishonoured or Skyrim the deal is just ridiculous!

FEAR is actually 3 (perseus mandate and extraction point) games so it's about 7ishGBs each which isn't out of the norm. The Bethesda bundle seems legit. I've seen it on the site for that price and some people on reddit are saying they managed to buy it.

I don't think I'll buy it. I already have Rage and FO3. I only really want FO:NV, Oblivion and Skyrim. With Skyrim I'd prefer to wait for a GOTY edition with all the DLC whenever it gets released. I'd be tempted by Dishonoured but I want to start clearing some back catalogue so I don't mind leaving that.

Fair enough I suppose but surely most of the engine files should be in the main game folder and so shouldn't have to be re-downloaded? Just seems a bit ridiculous that I have to basically download the same thing three times over when most games can manage similar DLC consisting of a few hundred mb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

I'm currently at Checkout.

But I then realised that I have to register, but I can't even get through to that :(

blobby360 wrote: »
    I'm currently at Checkout.

But I then realised that I have to register, but I can't even get through to that :(

Try disabling images. It might help a bit.

• Advertisement

fcuk me its a nightmare trying to get onto gamersgate

Advertisement