Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***Steam Christmas Sale 2012 (20th Dec to 4th Jan)***

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

They offer "Up to Xmb" - no provider ever guarantees speeds to cover their asses. That means you can pay for a 50mb service, only get 2mb, and they're covered.

You won't get reimbursed either.

Dont they still have to give a certain minimum quality of service?
    Like 4% speed isn't good :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Dont they still have to give a certain minimum quality of service?
    Like 4% speed isn't good :P

He could check his router page to see if they are sending him the full allowance. If they are he could try another router and check the lines in the house.

Or just keep knocking on and off your router. They'll see a new IP address every time and send a new router out. Keep doing it while complaining that you cant use it. They should send someone out then.

I had the above problem for real with vodafone a few years ago. Used it to end the contract in the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    He could check his router page to see if they are sending him the full allowance. If they are he could try another router and check the lines in the house.

Or just keep knocking on and off your router. They'll see a new IP address every time and send a new router out. Keep doing it while complaining that you cant use it. They should send someone out then.

I had the above problem for real with vodafone a few years ago. Used it to end the contract in the end

I've gotten a new router and an eingeneer out, no luck. It doesn't really matter anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭Nollog

The main issue with upc speeds is they use the cheapest routes, so it usually makes for slower speeds.

Haven't bought anything from steam so far, amazon have been cheaper, and gmg of course too for scribblenauts and nexuiz respectively.
    Also got the humble bundle for offspring fling

• Registered Users Posts: 30 chococobs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,178 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

After a quick read sounds like im gonna be picking up sins of a solar empire tomorrow, endless space is great(if alot more complicated than originally thought) but actual real time fleet management is a big draw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

VinLieger wrote: »
    After a quick read sounds like im gonna be picking up sins of a solar empire tomorrow, endless space is great(if alot more complicated than originally thought) but actual real time fleet management is a big draw

It's another one my list of stuff that I have, and haven't played.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Picked up Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale and Chantelise for 5.72 EUR (for both) which is a steal! I was waiting for Recettear to drop (was 50% from start) but at that price I decided to get Chantelise as well! With that I think I'm done for this year; all the rest I wanted has been on sale but not at a price I'd be willing to pay due to backlog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

GarIT wrote: »
    I wish I didn't have UPC paying for 50MB down 5MB up, getting 1MB down 4.5MB up and nothing other than WEP works. UPC refuse to do anything, and insist the contract still stands.

Just to be clear, you are paying for 50Mb down, 5Mb up i.e.Megabits. When you download something the units are MB/s not Mb/s i.e. Megabytes per second not Megabits per second. There are 8 bits in a byte, so no matter what your 50Mb line will never download faster than 6 -7 MB/s.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I paid 17:50 for that,missed it for 13.55 the other day.

Leaving it alone until I've had my fun with Shogun 2 and all the DLC's with it though,its nearly a different game.

Silly green man gaming gave me codes for TW Shogun 2 instead of the list above ffs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

farna_boy wrote: »
    Just to be clear, you are paying for 50Mb down, 5Mb up i.e.Megabits. When you download something the units are MB/s not Mb/s i.e. Megabytes per second not Megabits per second. There are 8 bits in a byte, so no matter what your 50Mb line will never download faster than 6 -7 MB/s.

Yup, another example -I'm a 100 Mb customer and quite happy with 7-8 MB download wireless. (Wireless will always be slower than wired).

Dcully wrote: »
    Silly green man gaming gave me codes for TW Shogun 2 instead of the list above ffs.

Scratch that, once i clicked on campaign i see the correct content :D:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

/\/ollog wrote: »
    The main issue with upc speeds is they use the cheapest routes, so it usually makes for slower speeds.

Haven't bought anything from steam so far, amazon have been cheaper, and gmg of course too for scribblenauts and nexuiz respectively.
    Also got the humble bundle for offspring fling

What do you mean by cheapest/slowest routes? Curious by this statement.

I'm on 150meg UPC and steam maxes at 19MB downloads.
    Most stuff downloads very fast.

Did you mean router... cos yeah they are not great... you definitely need your own wireless setup with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Tij da feen

Solyad wrote: »

Did you mean router... cos yeah they are not great... you definitely need your own wireless setup with it

That's the max speed you should be getting off of that line. 150Mb means 150 / 8 for 18.75MB/s download speed, so at least you're getting what you payed for. I'm stuck on around 6.5Mb meaning max download speeds of around over 800KB/s. Although Origin blatantly lies saying I get download speeds of 1.5MB/s which just isn't possible on my connection.

Yay chivalry won the community vote, 50% off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

I was going to buy Bully: Scholarship Edition, its €5 now reduced from €10, any chance it might be cheaper later or should I just buy it now?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/12200/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,383 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Got FTL for 4.99.... cannot wait to play it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭Nollog

Solyad wrote: »

routes meaning the routes the packets take to certain destinations.
    I had huge issues with the route they changed to about 2 years ago to OVH's network in France.
    Maybe it's called peering actually.

Can you tell me what server you use for steam?
    [Steam, settings, downloads+cloud, region settings]
    Mine is set to UK-London, but I'd be interested in something more toward 19MB/s :p
    I'm on 120mbit.

Oh, I just remembered I bought Sonic Hits Collection Holiday 2012. So valve did get me to part with some money this year after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I was going to buy Bully: Scholarship Edition, its €5 now reduced from €10, any chance it might be cheaper later or should I just buy it now?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/12200/

Wait till the last day to buy to see if it gets into a flash sale or daily deal, I'd be surprised if it didn't drop by another euro or two.

Played FTL there myself for the first time this morning, spent an hour with it and for the life of me i fail to see what the fuss is about.
    Granted an hour probably isnt fair to judge but i found the combat to be a snoozefest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Zedrayas

Just Bought and Downloaded Assassins Creed 2 , Fail Ubisoft , can't play the bloody game due to a stupid bug. thats €6.50 wasted!

For anyone about to buy Dark Souls: PTDE , do NOT buy it if you dont have a PC-compatible controller , I made the mistake , wasted 30 quid, the port it S**T , probably the worst I've seen!

Offer: (ends soon) http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I love FTL. Still go back and play it from time to time, after playing loads of it when i originally bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

FTL has been the bane of my life for the last 24 hours. The permadeath feature is really good & frustrating...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Agent J wrote: »
    FTL has been the bane of my life for the last 24 hours. The permadeath feature is really good & frustrating...

try xcom ironman! :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Agent J wrote: »

Must get stuck into ftl

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Zedrayas wrote: »
    Just Bought and Downloaded Assassins Creed 2 , Fail Ubisoft , can't play the bloody game due to a stupid bug. thats €6.50 wasted!

Whats the problem with it?

marco_polo wrote: »
    Whats the problem with it?

"Unable to find the Ubisoft Game Launcher, please re-install Assassin's Creed II.

Ubisoft Game Launcher:
    Error code 2."

I did as it said + what other websites said , but they are old posts , and mainly on the non-steam version of ACII. any ideas marco?

try xcom ironman! :pac:

I agree . what a mode! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Zedrayas wrote: »
    For anyone about to buy Dark Souls: PTDE , do NOT buy it if you dont have a PC-compatible controller , I made the mistake , wasted 30 quid, the port it S**T , probably the worst I've seen!

Offer: (ends soon) http://store.steampowered.com/app/211420/

I small mod file called DSFix will fix how terrible the game looks.

Advertisement