Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Restricting a Honda 50!

• 16-12-2012 9:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭

Relative has a M licence - is looking to heading out on a restored Honda 50

The M licence is resricted for mopeds under 50 cc and that dont exceed 45 kmph

Is it possible to get the Honda 50 restricted so they can ride it legally?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

gozunda wrote: »
    Relative has a M licence - is looking to heading out on a restored Honda 50

The M licence is resricted for mopeds under 50 cc and that dont exceed 45 kmph

Is it possible to get the Honda 50 restricted so they can ride it legally?

wouldnt give it a thought! you'd be awful unlucky to find a guard that would do you for it tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just wear an extra pair of socks that will do it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

serious3 wrote: »
    wouldnt give it a thought! you'd be awful unlucky to find a guard that would do you for it tbh

I think the insurance may be an issue though....

• Site Banned Posts: 11 P0rn0King

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just wear an extra pair of socks that will do it :p
    And fit a roof rack icon10.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

It needs to fully auto, as it has a gearshift it's not drivable on an M licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

aujopimur wrote: »
    It needs to fully auto, as it has a gearshift it's not drivable on an M licence.

Where did you get that idea?

There's no mention here or here about auto.

The only way to get an M licence for auto only is to do the test on an auto. But that's the same for all licence categories.

OP have you tried any of the Cub forums?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭gipi

Not sure that restricting it will be enough - it might meet the low speed (45kph) requirement, but it'll still be a 50cc engine, which is not what the M or AM licence covers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Del2005 wrote: »
    Where did you get that idea?

There's no mention here or here about auto.

The only way to get an M licence for auto only is to do the test on an auto. But that's the same for all licence categories.

OP have you tried any of the Cub forums?

M licence is for a moped, twist and go.
    A Honda 50 is not a moped as it only has an auto clutch.

gipi wrote: »
    Not sure that restricting it will be enough - it might meet the low speed (45kph) requirement, but it'll still be a 50cc engine, which is not what the M or AM licence covers?

So the M licence is stated for

"Mopeds up to 50cc and 45kmh"

Does up to include the 50 or is it therefore 1 cc over the limit?

And is the Honda actually a Moped?

It here appears to be all types of conflicting info out there tbh

Yikes who would ever thought Honda 50's could be so problematic ;)

• Advertisement

aujopimur wrote: »
    M licence is for a moped, twist and go.
    A Honda 50 is not a moped as it only has an auto clutch.

Please provide a link to back this up. I've shown 2 from the RSA, the old and new licencing laws, which have no mention of it needing to be auto to be a moped. All you've done is say the same thing twice.

Just because most mopeds sold in Ireland recently have been of the twist and go variety doesn't mean that geared bikes which are <49cc and can't exceed 45km/h aren't mopeds.

So the M licence is stated for

"Mopeds up to 50cc and 45kmh"

Does up to include the 50 or is it therefore 1 cc over the limit?

And is the Honda actually a Moped?

It here appears to be all types of conflicting info out there tbh

Yikes who would ever thought Honda 50's could be so problematic ;)

It is a moped as it's 49cc, but if it can exceed 45km/h you'd need an A1 licence

It is a moped as it's 49cc, but if it can exceed 45km/h you'd need an A1 licence

So can the top speed be restricted to under 45 km/h so that it would be driven with a M licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

So can the top speed be restricted to under 45 km/h so that it would be driven with a M licence?

I very much doubt it tbh.
    Even if someone manages to rig the bike so it cant exceed 45mph then ya gotta convince the insurance company about it.

Most people driving twist and go scooters on M licences aren't licensed as they can exceed 45km/h and no one seems to care.

I've had a quick google and for the most produced vehicle in the world in appears to have very few forums. But it doesn't appear to be able to be restricted, you'll have to check around in a few moped forums to see if it's possible.

Most people driving twist and go scooters on M licences aren't licensed as they can exceed 45km/h and no one seems to care.

I've had a quick google and for the most produced vehicle in the world in appears to have very few forums. But it doesn't appear to be able to be restricted, you'll have to check around in a few moped forums to see if it's possible.

Thanks for the replies

I came across a few mentions that this was fairly common in the UK previously and was approved but nothing more recent

I would have thought with the number of Honda 50s out there it might have came up before....

Thanks for the replies

I came across a few mentions that this was fairly common in the UK previously and was approved but nothing more recent

I would have thought with the number of Honda 50s out there it might have came up before....

I wouldn't of thought someone looking to restrict a 50cc engine would be common at all. Its like breaking a turtles leg because he is running too fast and ya need him to slow down.

Thanks for the replies

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=BFBB :confused::confused::P

goodlad wrote: »

I wouldn't of thought someone looking to restrict a 50cc engine would be common at all. Its like breaking a turtles leg because he is running too fast and ya need him to slow down.

It was to do with moped regulation & licensing over there.

Hence the restictuon

Good lad - HAr HAr
    You even took the effort to type in the auto signature - awe shucks !

But If that's supposed to be a subtle request from you - the answer is no thanks - ok. Hope you are not too disappointed but you got the wrong organisation I'm afraid. Don't worry I'm sure there is a man out there for you somewhere :D

Anway it should be the BTFBB- however I will give you a clue - it's some thing to do with firearms ok! Other than that I cannot disclose ...

• Advertisement

Good lad - HAr HAr
    You even took the effort to type in the auto signature - awe shucks !

But If that's supposed to be a subtle request - the answer is no thanks - ok. Hope you are not too disappointed but you got the wrong organisation I'm afraid. Don't worry I'm sure there is a man out there for you somewhere :D

- I will give you a clue - it's some thing to do with firearms ok! Other than that I cannot disclose ...

The firearm in your pants? lol
    Ah i just googled it and the first thing that came up was that urban dictionary link.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭DanWall

Lets clarify, there is no mopeds today. A moped has pedals like a bicycle and an engine, thus the name motor/pedals = moped

goodlad wrote: »
    The firearm in your pants? lol
    Ah i just googled it and the first thing that came up was that urban dictionary link.

Now now - none of your interest what I keep down there. Back away ok?

:D

DanWall wrote: »
    Lets clarify, there is no mopeds today. A moped has pedals like a bicycle and an engine, thus the name motor/pedals = moped

So where does that leave the M licence and a Honda 50? any ideas appreciated....

DanWall wrote: »

Not according to the RSA and EU, see my earlier post. I saw plenty of what you described on the continent last year.

Looks like the Honda 50 is out for a M licence.

Yes - Max speed of 65 kph ...

From here

http://www.classicbikersclub.com/articles/2011-09/honda-c50-step-thru

See Honda 50LAC - restricted model

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Off a cliff? :pac:

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement