Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

one housemate abusing the internet

• 16-12-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I live in a house of 5 students , we use Upc where there is no download limit so thats fine.

But one housemate is constantly useing the internet on her laptop and phone, whenever shes in the house everyone's internet goes i.e. it disconnects when opening a new page it neeeds to be constantly refreshed and disconnected and reconnected over and over its not worth trying to use when she's in.

You may say it's because theres 5 people using it at once but no we'v done experiments and its only when she's here, every can use it together without her no problem, even at the weekend when there's just me and her here its the same problem of disconecting.

We have said it numerous times to her and she just replys with a brain dead stare 'oh does it go' ,but then she will go up and watch something else on her laptop.

So my queiry is there any way of restricing her internet or disconecting hers rather than ours, without her knowing (its on a wireless network)?:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Murt10

I'd disconnect the router every time it happens.

Her laptop has a problem. let her get it sorted out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Get a proper router, bridge to it, then set up QOS.

She's likely torrenting in some shape or form and not limiting and thus overloading your connection.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Sounds like torrents if its causing your connection to go slow. She is constantly downloading films and not setting the upload or download limits.

You can go into router settings and block her from connecting to the modem. You can do this by blocking her Mac address or physically blocking her PC.

Alternatively change the wireless password on the modem so she can't connect to it.

I think blocking her Mac address is the best way to do it though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

As mentioned above setup QOS on the router and if the router doesn't have QOS buy one that does. QOS = Quality Of Service. You can setup your router to, for example, make all web traffic take precedent over torrent traffic. By doing so all your webpages will load fast and the torrents will be slowed down only.

You also could block ports in the router, leave one open for her, and then limit the traffic to that port and/or limit the time period which that port is open to only a few hours in the day, maybe at night, and then tell her if she is downloading stuff to use that port and tell her during hours when other roommates are up she cannot download via torrents.

Also UPC DOES have a transfer limit. They, like every other ISP in Ireland, skirt the law and include it in their 'terms of service' or 'terms of agreement' and in there it states 250 gigs is the limit.

I know, as here is a letter I got from them a while back...

73555_460711651840_1266334_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14 A4volvo

cheers for all the reply's..iv spoken to a friend of mine who says he can set up the router to make all web traffic take precedent over torrent traffic.. hope this solves the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

CptSternn wrote: »
    Also UPC DOES have a transfer limit. They, like every other ISP in Ireland, skirt the law and include it in their 'terms of service' or 'terms of agreement' and in there it states 250 gigs is the limit.

Actually its 500GB

http://www.upc.ie/termsandconditions/acceptableusagepolicy/ states
    "From 5th September 2011, the data transfer allowance for all Fibre Power Broadband customers is 500GB "

Advertisement