Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kickstarter: car horns for bikes

Options
2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

mrcheez wrote: »
    So in the case of an accident where a car didn't see/hear you and pulls out in front of you the general consensus is that it's the cyclist's fault for not practising defensive cycling?
    Nope.

I'm saying I don't really see the scenarios where a horn would be beneficial. I've never been knocked off my bike by a vehicle (thankfully) but I've had a few close shaves down through the years and I don't think having a horn would have helped in any of them. I've had a few near misses where a car suddenly and without warning turned left in front of me, and a horn wouldn't have helped. What did was that I immediately hit the brakes hard, and to be honest if I'd wasted even a split second deciding whether to toot my horn or hit the brakes it might have done me in.

The only situation I can think of that I've had where a horn might have been useful was when a car started to drift towards me and push me into the footpath, but in that case braking to let the car move ahead is preferable too. You can hit your horn but you're still relying on the driver doing the right thing, and I'd rather be responsible for myself. Ultimately if you observe a danger, slowing down is an immediate remedy, beeping your horn means waiting for the driver to hear it, spot you, and react.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

flatface wrote: »
    Im not having a go at your cycling, I am sure you handle the bike well. I suppose I cant see a case where a horn would help instead of just yielding to a potential hazard. The blackrock example is just like other separated bike lanes - they create confusing issues at each junction for cyclist and driver alike. If i can't take the normal traffic lane to block traffic I would eyeball the driver approaching, prepare to stop, and if they don't look me in the eye and yield, come to a stop. Pain but its a product of the design.

All I'm saying is that these are real life situations so a loud horn will at least draw the attention of the driver. That time I just rang the bell - it wasn't loud, didn't have any impact on the driver, I felt helpless and in need of something that would work - this stuck with me and I decided to get the horn. If the car is pushing me off my track I don't collide with the car but move out of the way but that's too close for my liking so it's yielding or getting hit. The driver didn't even react. I'm past the stage of throwing Fs in these situations so I'll let the horn do the work.

People are getting older, have families and not everyone is an alley cat, so keeping safe is a priority.

There is this notion of downplaying the hairy situations caused by the drivers and blaming cyclist for abusing the freedom that bike gives you on the road. There are a lot of cyclist that I pass daily who jump the red lights or do other stupid things and there is not much anyone can do about that. There are idiots on both sides but what's important is to keep as safe as possible. My other half is getting bike to commute to work.

I will actually cycle with her for few weeks just to teach her how to navigate safely in the traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

omri wrote: »
    There are idiots on both sides but what's important is to keep as safe as possible.

Pretty much this. Using as much as you can to be noticed on the road is a priority.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

omri wrote: »
    There is this notion of downplaying the hairy situations caused by the drivers and blaming cyclist for abusing the freedom that bike gives you on the road.

I dont know, maybe Im wrong but I dont see the left turning situation as being caused always by bad drivers, sometimes its poor design. Some road layouts do not give you an indication as a driver that you should yield to cyclists going straight ahead, yielding to traffic on the left is awkward I've always hated it and try to go around the outside or stop.
    For me there are very hairy situations that are harder to avoid such as drivers overtaking too close and fast. Horn wouldn't help there much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

flatface wrote: »
    For me there are very hairy situations that are harder to avoid such as drivers overtaking too close and fast. Horn wouldn't help there much either.

OK here's a simple scenario where it is required. Cycling along bus lane, cars on rhs in heavy traffic. Car suddenly decides to go down bus lane to undertake traffic.

Scenario one: car pulls in/doesn't see cyclist in time, rams into cyclist or comes very close to it.

Scenario two: cyclist sees car about to pull out (has finger on horn ready just in case as he could predict such a situation might occur) and doesn't have time to stop, pumps horn, car stops expecting car to come down bus lane.

In both situations, sure you might be able to stop in time, but the horn greatly increases the chance the car will stop before completely running you off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Let's not try re-invent the wheel here. The horn is something that should improve your safety, it will not make you 100% safe. People use horns in cars as a warning and that works, can't see a reason why it won't work on the bicycle. There are people who will support this, will get them and use them. The others won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

it will only end in tears...or a fight

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭JBokeh

Hope to God these are banned on sportives before someone brings one along with them

Advertisement