Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent allowance rates cut again

Options
  • 16-12-2012 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hey, I dont know if this affects anyone else here but me and my partner both got our review forms for rent allowance for next year, we had to get our rent down from 550 to 500 last year and this time they expect us to get it down to 400 with the new cuts. There is no way this is guna happen and if we move we loose our 550 deposit, as you can imagine we are both pretty pissed off now and dont know what to do. Is there anyone else here in the same situation or have any advice on what to do. We cant afford to move and if our rent allowance is gone money is going to be even tighter :(
    No smart comments needed here like "get a job" we are trying and getting nowhere just helpful advice wanted please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

the only things i can think of
    can you appeal the decision
    try to talk to your landlord to see if he would be prepared to bring the rent down
    try to talk to someone in the Citizens Information they might tell you what you will be able to do if any
    mind you what i would do personally if i was you if you dont have any kids i would think about moving abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Petey89

tramoreman wrote: »
    the only things i can think of
    can you appeal the decision
    try to talk to your landlord to see if he would be prepared to bring the rent down
    try to talk to someone in the Citizens Information they might tell you what you will be able to do if any
    mind you what i would do personally if i was you if you dont have any kids i would think about moving abroad
    the landlord wont drop anymore, going to talk to someone in citizens advice tomorow and see what they say.
    I would be gone abroad if I had any money :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Have a pile of kids. Youll get a pile of free cash every month that will easily pay for a massive house in Dunmore and be treated better than someone who works and looks after themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 snowguy

Not being smart or anything, could you move back in with friends/ family, or move to a place with cheaper rent ?
    Or how about getting a person in to help pay the rent.

Just throwing ideas out there, because a friend of mine in his early 40's, who has worked about 3-4 years in his entire life has a
    very decent flat ( to himself) , gets the whole range of benefits, rolls over in his bed when he hears the other people in the building
    going off to work. His parents have three empty bedrooms in their house, his sister lives in Dublin while her house sits empty in Waterford.
    Does he need rent allowance No, does he want rent allowance, Yes.

• Site Banned Posts: 224 ✭✭SubBusted

Make an appeal. The office is near O'Connell bridge in Dublin (beside FÁS).

• Advertisement

snowguy wrote: »
    Not being smart or anything, could you move back in with friends/ family, or move to a place with cheaper rent ?
    Or how about getting a person in to help pay the rent.

Just throwing ideas out there, because a friend of mine in his early 40's, who has worked about 3-4 years in his entire life has a
    very decent flat ( to himself) , gets the whole range of benefits, rolls over in his bed when he hears the other people in the building
    going off to work. His parents have three empty bedrooms in their house, his sister lives in Dublin while her house sits empty in Waterford.
    Does he need rent allowance No, does he want rent allowance, Yes.

we are going to be moving home in may, im going to finish my course before we move and our lease is up the start of may so we are not intendeing to stay in waterford so there isnt much point gettin a new place for 4 months. We have to go to community welfare and tell them the landlord wont drop the rent and see if they will just give us the rent allowance for the last 4 months.
    I cant imagine having a life like your friend that is pure laziness we hate having to go look for rent allowance and being on social welfare its no life, we have no money anything we get goes towards paying for the car the flat the bills and food shopping for the week and normally have nothing much left after that. I dont know how people can live on it forever and be happy doing it.

Media999 wrote: »
    Have a pile of kids. Youll get a pile of free cash every month that will easily pay for a massive house in Dunmore and be treated better than someone who works and looks after themselves.
    well wer two dudes so we cant really have loads a kids hahaha! but i do know people who just had a kid so they could get a council house and have everything handed to them and never have to work again. not the kinda life I would want anyway I would rather have a job and make my own money and pay for my own house.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

If you haven't already had a search of Accommodation and Property I'd recommend you do. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 snowguy

^Petey89,
    Yes, I would not want to live like my friend either - mind numbing life. If you
    only need to stay where you are till May, perhaps an appeal, or rent out
    a room.

Good luck,

Petey89 wrote: »
    well wer two dudes so we cant really have loads a kids hahaha! but i do know people who just had a kid so they could get a council house and have everything handed to them and never have to work again. not the kinda life I would want anyway I would rather have a job and make my own money and pay for my own house.

Ah i see. Room in a house it is for you so.

• Advertisement

we were talking to community welfare today there guna see what they can do an get back to us in the new year. so im not guna worry bout it till then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

Media999 wrote: »
    So what you are saying is over 400000 unemployed and they don't look after themselves, it's a stupid throwaway comment and if people minded there own business this country might be a better place to live.

200motels wrote: »
    So what you are saying is over 400000 unemployed and they don't look after themselves, it's a stupid throwaway comment and if people minded there own business this country might be a better place to live.

Em no. Dont twist my words now there buddy. In fact your not even twisting just full on talking bull**** that i never mentioned.

Where did i say people who dont work, dont look after themselves?

Bit touchy today are we?

Advertisement