Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lets see your browser!

Options
  • 16-12-2012 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭

Heres mine!

wwed.png

Isnt it pretty?? -- The nice colours,etc icon7.gif

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

193713_1904332769910_813984_o_zpsb57f6b74.jpg

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

All those toolbars are not a good sign Chet, I would reccomend giving Mbam free a run, as well as ADWCleaner to rid the system of junk

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Which one?:o

sshot_zpscbe1987a.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

233048.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

233146.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

yoyo wrote: »
    All those toolbars are not a good sign Chet, I would reccomend giving Mbam free a run, as well as ADWCleaner to rid the system of junk

Nick

Good god that's not mine. I took the pic of someones in college and i figured it was far more interesting than my uneventful install!

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Good god that's not mine. I took the pic of someones in college and i figured it was far more interesting than my uneventful install!

Ahh ok lol, thought it was one pulled from the net at first but saw it was google.ie and then came to that conclusion. Would love to know how people get their computers in such a mess though :P .

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Screen_Shot_2012_12_18_at_01_07_57.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

Zynks wrote: »
    233146.png

What browser is that? It looks so sexy ;)

Looks like this theme on chrome/chromium with some add-ons

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/brushed/bfjgbcjfpbbfepcccpaffkjofcmglifg?hl=en

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ahh ok lol, thought it was one pulled from the net at first but saw it was google.ie and then came to that conclusion. Would love to know how people get their computers in such a mess though :P
    I do PC repairs for friends and relatives and some of the PC's I see, there are so many toolbars and other crap installed in their browsers, you only have a couple of cm's of actual screen space to actually see anything. It's like browsing while staring through a letter box :) Doesn't seem to actually bother them though, which is odd.

Alun wrote: »
    I do PC repairs for friends and relatives and some of the PC's I see, there are so many toolbars and other crap installed in their browsers, you only have a couple of cm's of actual screen space to actually see anything. It's like browsing while staring through a letter box :) Doesn't seem to actually bother them though, which is odd.

Same here :) . From toolbars, to multiple anti virus scanners, to these obscure anti malware/registry booster programs (not "malware" downloaded either) you would have to wonder sometimes :) . It's usually always paired with a good ole slow as crap Celeron or Sempron with 1 gig of RAM, ohh the joys :D . I always advise people, never skimp on the CPU, it is the one culprit of "new" machines turning into rubbish. Much better off getting the Core i or AMD equivalent.
    Had a machine there recently where the person was still using IE6, you would really have to wonder...

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 18,601 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Same here :) . From toolbars, to multiple anti virus scanners, to these obscure anti malware/registry booster programs (not "malware" downloaded either) you would have to wonder sometimes :) . It's usually always paired with a good ole slow as crap Celeron or Sempron with 1 gig of RAM, ohh the joys :D . I always advise people, never skimp on the CPU, it is the one culprit of "new" machines turning into rubbish. Much better off getting the Core i or AMD equivalent.
    Had a machine there recently where the person was still using IE6, you would really have to wonder...

Nick
    Well you would but 70-80% of the population haven't gotten a clue and more importantly have no real desire to get more afay with what they are doing.

Isn't that how the computer industry works. "My computer is too slow, it's 3 years old. I know I need a new one!!"

kippy wrote: »
    Well you would but 70-80% of the population haven't gotten a clue and more importantly have no real desire to get more afay with what they are doing.
    That's true. You'd still wonder though how a user would come to "accept" a screen covered in toolbars, or stupid "registry boosters" popping up every minute. It seems people are naturally afraid so just ignore them :P
    cookie1977 wrote: »
    Isn't that how the computer industry works. "My computer is too slow, it's 3 years old. I know I need a new one!!"
    Maybe in the past, its funny how in the recession those 6 or 7 year old Dell's are still in operation, the odd RAM upgrade thrown in to prolong it :pac:

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Jordan537

i think that is the way it works, once your computer goes slow people tend to just buy a new one instead of fixing the "slow" one. i have family neighbours with litterally 10cm browsing space, rest is filled with pure crap and smiley emoticons.
    again, they are not fussed by it.

i like my browser clean and well layed out so i know exactly what im doing. My laptop is two years old on christmas day and still working perfectly and havent done a fresh install of windows yet.

Old school Firefox 17.0.1

233256.png
    Maybe in the past, its funny how in the recession those 6 or 7 year old Dell's are still in operation, the odd RAM upgrade thrown in to prolong it :pac:
    In fairness I do hear it more with laptops, someone will often ask me "it's 3 years old, should I just get a new one?"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭mcw92

Mine

2012_12_18_11_50_49_pm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

i have a policy

free toolbar = free malware 99% of the time

so i don't install toolbars unless they are work related

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Toolbars are aweful! (They slow things down)

Someone on another site said they were admiring how i dont have any toolbars! (I dont want any)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Chrome is perfect, few extensions is all you need, no tooblar muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭mcw92

Dude111 wrote: »
    Toolbars are aweful! (They slow things down)

Someone on another site said they were admiring how i dont have any toolbars! (I dont want any)

I have yet to see a useful toolbar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Here is mine - nice and simple :D

Chrome can be a RAM hog on smaller memory systems but ive 8gb so thats not in play...toolbars are a pure waste of time

I don't really like Chrome, I think it's too minimalist. Entirely my own opinion, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

233594.png

Chrome on the go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

desktop_zps849eba86.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Zynks

DylanII wrote: »
    What browser is that? It looks so sexy ;)

Thanks Dylan, and sorry I lost track of this thread. cookie is right, it is Chrome, running on Linux Mint (not sure how much impact the OS has) with a brushed metal theme and the app in the window is Speed Dial 2, which I use as my home page in all browsers on PC, tablet and phone, so I have a customised and synced starting page.

mcw92 seems to have a similar setup (post #19), but more on the minimalist side - very nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

Toolbars are the devil!!! Nasty little yolks

I use a combination of sw iron ( basically a modded version of chrome) I also have Firefox that I use as I have tweaked it massively with grease monkey scripts and addons.. (all for a more pleasant experience, stoping autoplay and add blocked)

Mostly I use safari on my iPhone as i am now..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭warlikedave

Karsini wrote: »
    I don't really like Chrome, I think it's too minimalist. Entirely my own opinion, of course.

Indeed each to their own :) I prefer minimalism though since I see a browser as a simple gateway to online content - Also I use a massive amount of my pc resources for home server, media center and gaming as well as rendering stuff

Used to love firefox but now it has a tendency to freeze any system that I run - and my main desktop/home server is no slouch with 8gb ram and a 2600k in it :(

Advertisement