Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elmo Cake

Options
  • 16-12-2012 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭

Im going to try and make an Elmo cake for my daughters 1st birthday. I would love some guidance as to where the best is to buy the tin, colours ect. and is it just a plain sponge mixture that I should make.

there is a whole world to sugar craft that I didnt know existed

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Have you seen the Cookie Monster cake in the I Like Cake thread? It might inspire you while you're waiting for replies. It's on this page http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055154264&page=34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I saw it, it's amazing. Loved the cookie mouth. I think the hardest part will be the icing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Have you looked at any tutorials on youtube?

I suggest you try and make cupcakes first as a trial. I think that the 'texture' of elmo is created with a star tip. So you would need to 'pipe' his fur. Time consuming but worth it :)

I made a chocolate biscuit cake because that's what my sister wanted but it could easily be done with a maderia cake.

I didn't use rolled icing just plain dyed buttercream (which is what I think would work well for Elmo as well)

Best of luck and feel free to ask anymore questions :)

Would you mind giving me your recipe for butter cream ? Will get practicing on cupcakes. Is there a particular nozzle I should use

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I used 2 parts icing sugar to 1 part butter.

For the cookie monster I used 500g sugar and 250g butter but I had LOADS left over.

You would need a star tip nozzle I think. *edit* in the video below they use a 'grass' tip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE8MXZ0ajlI

I would just make the eyes from white chocolate and you could make the mouth using an oreo coookie.

• Advertisement

I used 2 parts icing sugar to 1 part butter.

For the cookie monster I used 500g sugar and 250g butter but I had LOADS left over.

You would need a star tip nozzle I think. *edit* in the video below they use a 'grass' tip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FE8MXZ0ajlI

I would just make the eyes from white chocolate and you could make the mouth using an oreo coookie.

Thank you. Is there a website you would recommend for supplies ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Cerulean Chicken

foodaholic wrote: »
    Thank you. Is there a website you would recommend for supplies ?

www.stuff4cakes.ie.

Advertisement