Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Louth Cafes

Options
  • 16-12-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

What in your opinion is the best cafe you have been in so far within Louth?

I will be honest and say that my top two cafes would have to be Jackies cafe on Market square, Dundalk and 23 seats on earl street Dundalk.

I was impressed by Jackies wonderful staff and speedy service not to mention pre-recessional prices and top quality food that you would find in a bistro. I mean it was actually cheaper than the Greenmount, Roma and Europa put together. I am really scratching my head here as to how low they manage to keep those prices ( Jackies cafe that is ).

The interior was lovely and very european. I am sick to death of Irish companies trying to mimic America and american cafes, I don't live in America nor do I really want to, I live in Europe so its nice to see European cafes being European. American Cafes tend to be very cold and drab looking anyway with little or no imagination.

Only problem I can see with this place is that it is rather small and toilets are upstairs, so if your in a wheelchair, probably advisable to make sure you have gone before you decide to park at Jackies cafe. That is the only downside to it.

23 seats has great staff and wonderful services too. And like the former cafe also has that European interior about it but would certainly have a little more Irish to it and reminds me of cafes I have been in Co.Dublin.

The food is excellent are everything else. Staff extremely friendly too. When you go to costa coffee in Marshes I find you don't get that friendly response you would from these cafes like Jackies and 23 seats and other local cafes. I dunno, I really dislike costa coffee in the marshes and the interior, kind of reminds me a little of shytebucks and their interior.

Only downside to 23 seats I can think of is that it was definitely pricey for me. Not so pricey that a working class man couldn't have a cup of coffee in it with his type of wage, but perhaps not a cafe you wanna go to every day of the week if your a bit on the skint side. They also have great local music playing in it too which I found to be a great bonus for entertainment. Always nice to see local businesses support local artists. So Nice job there.

I'm done. What about you? What is your favourite cafe in Dundalk?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Alanski73

23 Seats is on Crowe St beside Devanneys Stationary shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Havent done 23 seats but will do soon,need to break away from the excellent 10/10 McAteers.Also on the entertainment side and 8/10 for coffee, hat tip to The Morning Star Park Street,music,quiz,and other such madness every other Saturday evening.Good craic and excellent service from the propriteors there everytime i visit.

Love coffee,need to get out to sample more and looking forward to other recommendations here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭tony81

I like 23 seats although like a lot of people I like my coffee hot! The girl who works there explained to me that in Italy they drink their cappuccinos warm.. but particularly in cold weather I love a hot drink so I always ask them to make it hot.

I used to go to Riva but they are absolutely atrocious! The staff really let the place down.

Panama is alright. I don't like their plastic menus though and the floor is a bit bare. But very nice for coffee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

Mine would be Food for Thought in Carlingford. Lovely food, not expensive and my favourite place to eat in Louth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Without a doubt when it comes to the quality of coffee you can't beat McAteers. The staff are also excellent and very obliging. Food passes muster as well. All round it can't be beaten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭TO_ARTHUR!

Even though it's a restaurant as well, Bizou on Meatmarket Lane functions well as a cafe. They serve a good selection of teas and coffees as well as having a great menu for cake and biscuits with which to accompany ones beverage.
    It's a good place to go if you're on the town with friends and would like to bring them somewhere good to shoot the breeze and have something nice to drink. I think it's one of the best in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭bewhiched

I. Agree love bizou great grub

Advertisement