Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shotgun cleaning

Options
  • 16-12-2012 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭

sorry if this is a bit of a novice question and prob asked a thousand times but whats the best method , materials and how often should i clean my shotgun ive been just given it a wipe with oily rag after a days rough shootin and given it a clean every month or two use a bit of grease on the lugs , wd40 to clean the fouling i spray it leave it a while then use the brass brush after that i use cloth patches to wipe it and then apply a light coat of spray gun oil inside and out also use snap caps every so often if not been used i usually give a little spray of oil into the action, top leaver, and safety catch. if im doing anything i shouldnt or not doing something i should please advise. ive never even bothered cleaning my guns before but since getting a new one im going to try do my best to take care of it. thanks in advance :)

snipe02

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Every time I use it I push a nylon brush through it, few dry patches then an oily one and it goes into the safe. I remove and clean the chokes and the threads every time and wipe down action ,bearing surfaces and ejectors.

Every 250 cartridges I use Hoppes #9 in the barrel, nylon brush it and patch it until it's clean then an oilly patch down the barrel.

I've a silicone cloth that I rub over the whole thing once the barrel is back on the action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I'd keep the oil away from the toplever and the safety catch if it's a gun with a wooden stock. In the long term the oil will do damage to the timber from the inside out and may start to affect wood to timber fitting. If you want to lubricate the internal parts of your gun your best option is to take it apart and apply some quality gun grease. If you can't do this yourself leave it in to be done.

Advertisement