Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferret needs fattening

• 17-12-2012 3:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭

Hi all ,
    I am about to becoming the owner of a ferret , well on the 09/01 (rescue but very friendly and domesticated) and will be looking to prepare food for his rescuer until I can take him .

The little mite will need some fattening up over the Winter as he was living rough for a few weeks . Any tips on meals I can prepare at home . I understand no fruit and veg , high meat . I dont really want to give him processed shop bought food and would like to gradually introduce a new diet to him as I understand they do not do well on a completely new diet straight away .

Can anyone help with high valued food for the little fella that I can prepare at home ?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I think it's best to fatten him up slowly rather than giving him loads of calories in one go. So small regular meals perhaps would be better.
    They do like eggs as well a couple of times a week..give it to him whole so he can play with it first.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Split

Thanks for that .. Ill try him little and often and see how he is with the eggs .. What sort of meat would I be looking to give him ?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Jackasaurus rex

Split wrote: »
    Thanks for that .. Ill try him little and often and see how he is with the eggs .. What sort of meat would I be looking to give him ?

chicken with skin and all is plenty fatty. a fairly fatty diet is good for ferrets anyway. good luck with em. I love ferrets. had them years ago but I was too gutted when they died to get new ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 361 ✭✭transit260

give it nothing but flesh in my opinion,ive had them for 30 + years and the only thing they thrive on and are meant to eat is meat,dried foof can be handy in summer with the problem of flies but they do not do very well on this.chicken,,rabbit should be their staple diet.if you have the stomach for it and find fresh dead bird/rabbit carcasses they will do very well and plenty of handeling and you will enjoy your new charge,they are infectious little critters so prepare to be boweled over by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

transit260 wrote: »
    give it nothing but flesh in my opinion,ive had them for 30 + years and the only thing they thrive on and are meant to eat is meat,dried foof can be handy in summer with the problem of flies but they do not do very well on this.chicken,,rabbit should be their staple diet.if you have the stomach for it and find fresh dead bird/rabbit carcasses they will do very well and plenty of handeling and you will enjoy your new charge,they are infectious little critters so prepare to be boweled over by it.
    +1 on the rabbit and chicken
    -1 on the fresh dead bird/rabbit
    Both could've been shot and died after containing lead pellets
    I made huge mistake of it years ago with a pigeon I shot and sworn I took all the pellets out but ferret died days later
    Assumed it was lead poisoning
    I feed my 3 ferrets a mix of everything
    From rabbits they catch themselves with dog food and cat food and dry ferret food you'll get in pet shop sometimes mixing in an egg
    I have 3 very healthy ferrets that are a joy to handle though my youngest has a thing for nibbling ear lobes
    Are a bit heavy but they are hunting ferrets aswell as pets so plenty of fitness and are very quick
    Take my advice on the food anyway
    Cant go wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Split

ugh ... I really need to toughen up and get a little less squimish ... When he moves in here Ill try all the suggestions .. thank you for this ..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 the_ferreter

I feed mine a mixture of dry food and wet food. I work my ferrets so i get fresh rabbit to feed them on. But i usually only give them fresh rabbit about 2-3 times a week. As said before dont try and fatten the critter up too quickly. They'll be your best friend if you look after them right and hadle them lots.....better than any cat lol

Advertisement