Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very worried :( help

Options
  • 17-12-2012 3:19am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭

hi guys n girls,
    Wondering if you can help me! I have searched online but haven't really found useful answers. Basically my exams have not gone well this semester(2nd year BA) and i am very worried I have failed quite a few of them :(
    I never failed before so I dont know the drill. So my questions are how many modules can i fail without having to repeat the year? I think it could be 2 but im unsure. If i fail two or three will i be allowed progress into semester 2 ?And will i have to pay the repeat/resit fees upfront? Or will the University allow me to gradually pay them off? I really cannot afford the extra cost :(
    Basically can i progress into semester 2 this year if i fail more than 2 modules ?

Thanks in advance, I know you guys are real helpful in here :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

Yes you will be able to progress into second semester with 2 fails no problem,how bad do you think you did in them? If you've got 30% or over in them you can compensate them providing you get an equal number of Cs in another subject throughout the year for the compensation,think this is allowed only 3 times in the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

The whole notion of "repeating a year" is gone in UCD now.

With the GPA scoring system, everythig is broken down into modules, so you can do a level three module in second year, a level one module in 3rd year etc.

The main thing you need to worry about is passing your core modules in order to progress to the next level of core modules, say for example, you need to pass Microeconomics I before you can take Microeconomics II etc.

It doesn't matter really how many you fail per se, you could fail all of them and do semester two, it just means you would have to repeat all of them either in semester two or this time next year - so then you might have to consider how many modules you're going to take in one semester and how many can you not take until you pass the repeats, so as far as I know, fails can have a knock on effect towards finishing on time, depending on the circumstances and when you can repeat it by and when you need to have passed it by in order to take the next level of that subject.

Any non-core subjects you can just drop them alltogether and take different electives to make up the minimum credits required.

Also note that if you are in stage 2, whilst you can compensate a few subject (not sure exactly how many) you wont find out until the end of stage 2 if you can compensate them - and in a BA, I presume next year (3rd year) is the second part of stage 2 and your degree, so you'd have to wait until the end of your degree to find out if you can compensate them (in the event of a core module, you must pass it if it is required to take another core module related to that down the line).

Hope that helps.

For a really clear picture, maybe right out an email of your exact scenario to the programmes office in UCD or call in and see them. Might be best if you wait until your results are out though so that you are dealing with facts and not speculation, and who knows, hopefully you did better in some of them than you think and it's not as bad as you think.

Don't worry buddy, you're not alone, I'll be spending my Christmas living in hope also! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Ahh thanks for the feedback !! Has settled my mind a bit more! Ya i suppose i will just have to wait and see! :/ Going to be nerve-wrecking when results are out! When are result out actually ? Is it before we go back in January?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Locker10a wrote: »
    Ahh thanks for the feedback !! Has settled my mind a bit more! Ya i suppose i will just have to wait and see! :/ Going to be nerve-wrecking when results are out! When are result out actually ? Is it before we go back in January?

Usually (and I think it's the same this year) we're back the Monday and the results are out the Wednesday!

Advertisement