Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Going to New York and want to buy an iPad

• 17-12-2012 3:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

So I'm going to new york in the new year and want to buy the new ipad. I was wondering does anyone know if it is worth my while to get it in New York or should I just not bother and get it in Ireland? Would it be any cheaper in Dublin airport or JFK airport duty free? Has anyone got any experience of this?

Thanks! :cool:

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

smndly wrote: »
    So I'm going to new york in the new year and want to buy the new ipad. I was wondering does anyone know if it is worth my while to get it in New York or should I just not bother and get it in Ireland? Would it be any cheaper in Dublin airport or JFK airport duty free? Has anyone got any experience of this?

Thanks! :cool:

You will save about €70 by buying in NYC.
    If your there and your looking for one, then by all means. its worth buying. You could pick up a smart case while your there and still come under the Eire RRP for the iPad alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Yes but you'll need an adapter because the plug that'll come with it will be for the U.S of A.

Also i heard of stories of people been asked to pay VAT at customs , you can get around that by having it out of the box. (Don't know how true that is though)

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Yes but you'll need an adapter because the plug that'll come with it will be for the U.S of A.

Yes, thats true.
    adoptors are €2 in the Euro Shops, or you could use an old phone wall plug from an iPhone or get one on adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I read on Zerohedge that walmart is going to stock the iphone5 at 30% off. So maybe they will have ipads too? they might have a website?

I read on Zerohedge that walmart is going to stock the iphone5 at 30% off. So maybe they will have ipads too? they might have a website?

cant see that 30% happening tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

kceire wrote: »
    cant see that 30% happening tbh.

It just did. They are selling it for 30% cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

Walmart are giving a discount off contract phones, so unless you wanna sign a contract while you're in America it'll be no use to you.

Edit: on a different site it says they've discounts off iPhone 4S's and iPads starting Dec 17th, 100 dollars off an iPad is pretty good to be fair

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/14/wal-mart-iphone-5-ipad_n_2303813.html?ir=Technology

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭smndly

Great thanks for all the info!

It looks well worth it to get one over there so think i'll go for it! I'll want the 3g version though so do I have to get a certain carrier like AT&T or Verizon or something so that it will be compatible back in Ireland or does it matter? And I wont have to sign any contracts or anything for the carrier will I?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

OP.. Don't forget NY sales tax on all purchases. Not sure of exact figures but I recall over the years it was circa 8% on electronics. It could be factored into the advertised RRP but just do your maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Kenno90 wrote: »

Also i heard of stories of people been asked to pay VAT at customs , you can get around that by having it out of the box. (Don't know how true that is though)
    You ae allowed bring in €430 (might not be exact figure but it is around that amount) worth of goods per person in from outside the EU so if you're buying the basic model and take tags of clothes and other stuff you buy, you can legitimately bring on the iPad without paying duty.

• Advertisement

Just to confuse you again OP, powercity have all iPads reduced today. Not as cheap as NYC but close enough if you want it in your hands before you go maybe?

16gb wifi reduced to 485.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

currys have ipad3 with cellular for €469.00

currys have ipad3 with cellular for €469.00

For €25 extra, you can get iPad 4 in powercity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

For €25 extra, you can get iPad 4 in powercity.

cellular?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

There is some gaffe in NYC run by jews (kid you not, not open saturday of course) pretty cheap, they have an online site also...

Get back to you with a name....
    Just google " Jews electronic store New york “

Got it

.... B& H...

Brother got a camera there , including the flight he still saved in comparison to irish price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I bought my iPad in ny in November. I bought it in the B&H Store on 36th and 9th (I think). It's run by Hassadic Jews as another poster mentioned. I saved around €60-70.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

Jogathon wrote: »
    I bought my iPad in ny in November. I bought it in the B&H Store on 36th and 9th (I think). It's run by Hassadic Jews as another poster mentioned. I saved around €60-70.

My sis bought an ipad2 over there in November, and, as said already, do remove all the tags, boxes etc. Check that you can actually turn it on, as in that it has some power in it (not sure that this is really necessary, but what if in the airport they asked you turn it on as they do with laptops sometimes?).

The ipad2 that she bought was a good enough saving to warrant recommending that you do buy it over there, and she was able to get it in a colour that's not readily available here (she says). She did buy it from one the very cool looking apple stores in Manhattan.

cellular?

Sorry missed that. No wifi only.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Armelodie wrote: »
    There is some gaffe in NYC run by jews (kid you not, not open saturday of course) pretty cheap, they have an online site also...

<snip>

.... B& H...

Brother got a camera there , including the flight he still saved in comparison to irish price

Was just going to recommend these. They often have some UK/Euro plugs too.

coffeepls wrote: »
    My sis bought an ipad2 over there in November, and, as said already, do remove all the tags, boxes etc. Check that you can actually turn it on, as in that it has some power in it (not sure that this is really necessary, but what if in the airport they asked you turn it on as they do with laptops sometimes?).

The ipad2 that she bought was a good enough saving to warrant recommending that you do buy it over there, and she was able to get it in a colour that's not readily available here (she says). She did buy it from one the very cool looking apple stores in Manhattan.

It's only available in black or white and both are readily available here too.
    Back then the iPad 2 would of been the old one to the iPad 3 so significant savings were there to be had but I thought the whole point of this thread was for the new iPad 4?

Maybe the OP can confirm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Wils110

In relation to the tax added on just check do Macy's sell iPads when I was there I got a visitor card and got a 10 per cent discount you need your passport to get the card...it's in the visitor center

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭coffeepls

It's only available in black or white and both are readily available here too.
    Back then the iPad 2 would of been the old one to the iPad 3 so significant savings were there to be had but I thought the whole point of this thread was for the new iPad 4?

Maybe the OP can confirm.

Sorry - thought it was just about the saving & whether to actually buy in the US and bring it back.

coffeepls wrote: »
    Sorry - thought it was just about the saving & whether to actually buy in the US and bring it back.

Suppose all info is relevant to the op. they can make an informed decision then :)

My bottom line would be, if I was going anyway, I'd buy there as €70 saving is not to be sniffed at (based in iPad 4 pricing). But if I had the cash ready now to buy I would buy in powercity at €485 as its only a €45 saving then so it cuts out any customs risk and need to bin boxes etc etc

I've done the calcs recently as my neighbour offered to bring one back but it wasn't worth the risk of asking her incase she got stopped etc so ended up getting a bottle of fierce aftershave instead, 50% saving in that :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Just home from new york with a new ipad, Got the 32Gb Black retina display at €504.

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Just home from new york with a new ipad, Got the 32Gb Black retina display at €504.

Thats a very good price!

At $599 + 9% NYC Sales Tax = $650 approx.

Nice saving there, did you open it for customs or just bring it through sealed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Thats a very good price!

At $599 + 9% NYC Sales Tax = $650 approx.

Nice saving there, did you open it for customs or just bring it through sealed?

Yea, With tax and All it came to Exactly $652.16.

I had all out of box,Left box and rubbish with it in a bin in NY and just brought charger home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Yea, With tax and All it came to Exactly $652.16.

I had all out of box,Left box and rubbish with it in a bin in NY and just brought charger home.

Why didn't you just post the empty box back to Ireland seperately?? You have probably reduced the resale value if you were to try and sell it in the future.

tallpaul wrote: »
    Why didn't you just post the empty box back to Ireland seperately?? You have probably reduced the resale value if you were to try and sell it in the future.

more than made up by the cheaper initial purchase price though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Doodah7

more than made up by the cheaper initial purchase price though.

Yes but he could have won on both ends by retaining the packaging. Personally I wouldn't buy an iPhone/iPad or whatever without the original box it came in.

• Advertisement
Advertisement