Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone elses dog fascinated by fire?

• 17-12-2012 4:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

My yorkie Rolly is absolutely mad for fire.

When anyone goes near the fire to clean it out or anything (when it's not lit) he'll run over and get up on the hearth as if he is guarding it or something.
    When it is lit he'll either be in lying in front of it warming his arse or else watching it from where he is lying.

Then if you poke the fire or even go near it when it's lit he will stand alert with his front paws on the hearth staring in to to fire until someone calls him away, sometimes even considering trying to get into the fire :pac:

He's mad for chasing lit fag butts too when people throw them on the ground. He'll stamp on them with his paw and try to eat them :rolleyes:

Is anyone elses dog a borderline pyromaniac or is it just rolly?
    Anyone know why they find it so fascinating? I know they like the heat and the fire is somewhat interesting to look at but surely there's something more to it when they'll sit there burning their eyes off to stare at the fire? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

My dog is the opposite - terrified of the fire. When she sees my dad coming in with sticks and coal she will cry and bark, and when the fire is lit it's just unbearable. The constant barking and whinging. I think because this dog is scared of fireworks at halloween, the fire reminds her of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

One of my two Wesites is a hybrid of the above -petrified of fireworks and yet fascinated by the (gas) fire/flame. She will stare at the fire/flame for ages when it's on - it's quite cute and funny at times as she tilts her head for a better view. She's never ventured closer to it or attempted to get into it though (yet!).

My other male Westie has zero interest in it. Actually less than zero.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd a wolfhound who was mesmerised by fire, would literally go into a trance sitting in front of it and just staring at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

One of mine doesn't stare into the fire, but if she could put her arse in it she would. She loves heat and is regularly found with both hind legs pressed up against a scorching hot radiator. Weird dog..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

We had to put up a fixed screen to keep our dog from getting burned. She'd lie as close as she dared to the fire and often have (stinky!!!) scorched hair on her back. I was genuinely afraid she'd set herself on fire.

• Advertisement

Haven't had to do that, thankfully. Because of the way the hearth is she can't lie too close, but if it were any bigger we'd have to put up a guard.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Well funnily enough Rolly finally went for it last night and decided to lick the front of the fire. Cue running away crying and sulking for the night

stacexD wrote: »
    Well funnily enough Rolly finally went for it last night and decided to lick the front of the fire. Cue running away crying and sulking for the night

Silly dog. That'll teach him.

Advertisement