Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eBay food related products,safe to buy?

Options
  • 17-12-2012 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi!

Have you ever purchased any food products from ebay? What about Jack Links jerky or homemade biltong?
    There are number of food related products for sale there : kombucha mushrooms, crisps, cereals..you name it.
    How do I know that use by date is not passed or if there is any end by date at all?
    Who can guarantee that homemade snacks are safe to buy from ebay ( e.g. how do I know that buying homemade jerky - does not contain any part of cats or dogs?)

I been "lucky" to see once home where housewife made regulary cakes to local village kids parties. Hygiene in this house was very questionable. All sort of pets running around the table, small kids who needed continuous attention from mum.. I really do believe that she did not have any licence to run such business.

Post your experience (and other comments) here.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Common sense has to come into it. If you find a seller you could post the item and let people have a look and point out things.

I would not trust homemade biltong much, I would not trust it much in a shop or market here either, let alone ebay.

I know guys who worked in 2 different well known supermarkets with bad practice -I don't think this was intentional. It was both cases of cross contamination, like you will see many professional chefs do on TV too. In some cases TV editing might drop out some cleaning they do in between steps, but on loads of live TV chef programs I see them clearly cross contaminating of varying degrees -i.e. some is just nasty, like double dipping saliva which is later cooked, but some is properly dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you eat frankfurters, I am pretty sure you will have eaten some things that would make your toenails curl.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Seamus1964 wrote: »
    ...How do I know that use by date is not passed or if there is any end by date at all?
    Who can guarantee that homemade snacks are safe to buy from ebay ( e.g. how do I know that buying homemade jerky - does not contain any part of cats or dogs...
    Any online food purchases will be entirely at your own risk. Also, the Food & Drink forums are not the place to ask for safety advice.

I suggest that you would be better discussing online purchases in the Consumer Issues forum.

Sharing of 'horror stories' as you would appear to be looking for will probably only result in hearsay or defamatory statements.

Closed.

tHB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement