Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wateford Based company to create 250 jobs.....in Wexford

Options
  • 17-12-2012 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/new-jobs-eishtec-719166-Dec2012/

Eishtec creating 250 jobs in new custom built facility in Wexford. Great to see jobs created but big pity not in Waterford on top of the employment created by them so far. Surely the buildings and staff are available.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Eishtec, an Irish company set up in 2011 and based in Waterford, is to create the jobs at a new custom-built facility in Drinagh in Wexford

Is probably the key to this, anyone know if the company had sought planning permission for same in Waterford and got denied?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

thomasm wrote: »
    Great to see jobs created but big pity not in Waterford on top of the employment created by them so far. Surely the buildings and staff are available.

It's a valid question IMO, even though I don't begrudge Wexford the jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Eishtec are still hiring in Waterford atm anyway. On a Jobridge scheme atm but got a letter from FAS last week about it letting me know.

Does anyone know if there's anything being done with the space TalkTalk had?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Eishtec are still hiring in Waterford atm anyway. On a Jobridge scheme atm but got a letter from FAS last week about it letting me know.

JobBridge in a call center taking calls? are they having a laugh?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I'm already on a placement, the letter was to let me know there were jobs available in Eishtec if I wanted to apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭BBM77

Me smells the hands of a minister, grant assistance or whatever if you locate in my constituency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

so are they actually closing down in waterford and moving or is it another division their setting up?

edit

Just read it was an expansion so question answered

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

One of the companies on the estate Schivo bought it a few weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Aye, jobbridge for a job thats already minimum wage, sounds more like slave labour tbh. I know there'll be a bunch of "be glad to have any sort of job" type comments but c'mon these jobs are fairly rock bottom, they pay around a quarter to a third less even than jobs in TalkTalk did. I suppose its better than the australian call centre but not much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

1967 wrote: »
    One of the companies on the estate Schivo bought it a few weeks ago.

Oh aye, Howlin is always up to shenanigans, just look at the VEC relocation decision.

Still I don't begrudge Wexford people, I know a heap of them used to travel down to Waterford to work in TalkTalk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Chiparus

oh god, not parish pump politics again.

We have been asking Wexford to support the SE hospital group with Waterford at its center, now we begrudge jobs in Wexford.

You would not care if they went to Dublin.
    You really have to get rid of this small town county jersey mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

No one is begrudging jobs in Wexford. The valid question that was asked was why Eishtec decided to create these jobs outside of Waterford. Why wouldn't we want to know the reason for that?

Apparently there was a reason why they didn't create the jobs in Waterford. I didn't hear that, just saw a tweet by Damien Tiernan about it, but it could be that they already employ 400 people in Waterford and there wasn't enough space for them to expand in Waterford, or it might be part of an overall company strategy to set up several facilities across Ireland, or could be even that there's not enough people in Waterford who can/will do call centre work, or maybe there were given an incentive (e.g. free rent) to locate in this new Wexford facility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Don't know the answer but from the reports there was a custom built facility sitting there empty,so in these times I would imagine the letting deal was very sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

Even with the Talk Talk building being sold a few weeks ago,there is another purpose built call centre building lying idle for the last four or five years namely ntl on the cork road surely they could have gotten a deal on that but although the jobs are gone to Wexford its good to see a local company doing so well in such a short space of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

"Our TD's are useless and doing nothing to get jobs to Waterford!!"

"Ooh look at that Wexford TD up to shenanigans getting jobs to Wexford, shame on him!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

^^^ Our TD's are useless though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Chiparus wrote: »
    oh god, not parish pump politics again.

We have been asking Wexford to support the SE hospital group with Waterford at its center, now we begrudge jobs in Wexford.

You would not care if they went to Dublin.
    You really have to get rid of this small town county jersey mentality.

Oh come on... are we not allowed to ask the question? Wexford is suffering a lot in the recession too, and it's better to see jobs going there than to Dublin or Galway, but this is the Waterford board remember - and some of us already pre-empted your objection:
    fricatus wrote: »
    It's a valid question IMO, even though I don't begrudge Wexford the jobs.
    Oh aye, Howlin is always up to shenanigans, just look at the VEC relocation decision.

Still I don't begrudge Wexford people, I know a heap of them used to travel down to Waterford to work in TalkTalk.

I put it in bold, just in case you didn't see it the first time around. ;)

"Our TD's are useless and doing nothing to get jobs to Waterford!!"

"Ooh look at that Wexford TD up to shenanigans getting jobs to Wexford, shame on him!!!"

We can't blame politicians for doing their best for their own area of course, but I would hate to see jobs going to an area that was already doing fine, while the unemployment rate remains so high here.

I think most of our objections have to do with how so much seems to be going Galway and Cork's way, despite their lower unemployment rate, while nothing is being done here, with one of the highest rates in the state.

As I understand it Wexford's unemployment rate is also high, so it's fair enough that they're getting a slice of the cake too.

Advertisement