Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc just shuts off

Options
  • 17-12-2012 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Just went up to my pc last night and it was off.It is left on all the time.I turned it back on and while on it it just died.There is a green light on the motherboard showing power but even pressing the on button on the front does nothing.I have to turn the switch off at back and wait and then away it goes.I'm thinking the psu???
    Any ideas??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

The pin connections from the power button to the motherboard may have come loose have you opened it up? When you press the power button do the fans start up? Does the computer give a series of bios beeps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Thanks for a reply.No beeps no nothing.it just cuts out and wont switch on with the button on front but if i turn off the switch on the psu and turn it on again away it goes?
    redriddick

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

Are you sure the case buttons connectors are securely connected to the motherboard they can be very finicky! I've knocked them loose by just bumping against my pc. Check if the reset or other buttons on the case work when it does turn on, and make sure that the power connections from the psu and motherboard are secure, also check for any discolouration at any of the connections (brown/black = bad!)

Thanks man.Will be at home at lunch and will check it out.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Does sound like PSU, could also be swollen capacitors, inspect the motherboard for any swollen or leaking ones like:
    h1vgv.jpg
    Also if you could borrow another PSU and test it it would be a good idea :)

Nick

• Advertisement

Thanks guys.
    I removed the cpu and cooler cleaned everything,checked connections and put all back together.Fine last night but went up this morning and nothing.I'm beginning to think its the psu again.I did install a tbs 6981 sat card the other day so have removed that to see.I guess some specs might help
    Asus m4a785td-v evo
    amd phenom cpu
    Corsair 400w psu
    6 gb of ram
    Bearing in mind the pc is on 24/7 what psu would you recommend???
    Thanks again.

Right the pc has been running fine since i removed the tbs card but once i put it back in i get 10-20 min and then boom gone.I think the psu cant run so have ordered a cx600 from ebuyer and will try it as soon as i get it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

It could also be the tbs card is faulty? Corsair make decent PSUs but like everything they can fail, hopefully your issue will be solved with a new psu anyways, if not at least no you know the culprit ;)

Nick

Thanks Nic.
    I seen somewhere on the net where some guy was using a 380w psu and changed for a 500w and it solved his problem.Will have a spare psu if not and will rma the tbs card.
    Will keep ye posted>
    Redriddck

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

did u self build the pc? i had similar issues before with a soundcard.... turns out the motherboard wasn't mounted properly and the soundcard was pushing the board down slightly so it came in contact with the case. so i removed the motherboard and replaced the motherboard mounts and put it all back together. works perfect now. Also a 400w psu these days doesn't cut it once you start adding things like multiple hard disks, add in pci based cards, many usb devices that are powered by the motherboard, and a good graphics card

• Advertisement

Thanks freddie,
    Yeh i built it myself.I reckon its the psu,i've got 3 hard drives in there no graphics as im using on board but we will see what happens.
    thanks a mil

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

Redriddick wrote: »
    Thanks freddie,
    Yeh i built it myself.I reckon its the psu,i've got 3 hard drives in there no graphics as im using on board but we will see what happens.
    thanks a mil

yeah 3 hard drives will suck up a fair chunk of power... best put in a 600w or better if you plan to use a better gcard in the future

as a test try disconnecting the power to one of the drives to see if your tv card works ok... if it does then you know for definite your psu is not powerful enough

Hi Guys,

Just to get back to ye on this (hate when people dont bother to post answers)
    I got a corsair 600w psu and put it in on Thursday and it has been going since.So anyone thinking about getting a tbs 6981 bear in mind it likes the power!!!
    Thanks for all the help.

Advertisement