Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I cannot recommend Greyhounds enough as pets

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

"Animal welfare groups make a nice living from the grants they get both from the Government and Greyhound Board. Some have the sole aim to close down greyhound racing, but they'll be the loosers when these grants are stopped.

Oh yes, the rescue people I know are swanning round in their BMWs with their Gucci bags desperately trying to spend the vast amounts of cash from their grants.....seriously!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

I now know why I don't post here. A discussion on the nature of greyhounds as pets. Turns to this.

I now know why I don't post here. A discussion on the nature of greyhounds as pets. Turns to this.
    Sorry, Bernard. You speak the truth. I'll finish with agreeing that greyhounds, like all dogs make brilliant pets.
    http://www.igb.ie/Talking-Dogs/TWO-RETIRED-SHOWS-THIS-WEEK-/
    http://www.igb.ie/Welfare/Greyhounds-as-Pets/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Bumping this to recommend the best breed of dog I have ever owned. Sleep all day very affectionate. 2 20 minute walks a day and job done.

The sighthound strolls mentioned previously I have been on and are great. Many people and families just go on these walks to meet greyhounds and see if its for them which is great to see. If in doubt I would suggest going on a walk and see what they're all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'm pretty sure that many do 'disappear'. But the impression given is that they all have their ears mutilated beforehand.
    The point I am trying to get across and maybe I am being naive, but if there is a database of all DNA, surely the mutilating of ears is of no benefit to the owner? Some welfare organisations get grants to home ex racers. Is the best value being got for this money? Are the dearest Vets being used or do they shop around?
    There is an article in the Irish Times about how much CEO's of charitys get in salary each year. Is the same true for animal charities?

Maryanne, I don't know if it's genuine lack of knowledge or are you trying to get a reaction.

In answer to your questions; most rescues use the same vet for each of their animals and some vets give them preferential rates. Do you know how much the grants are, compared to how much the IGB gets from tax payers money every year?? There shouldn't need to be grants towards ex-racing greyhounds, the IGB should pay for it themselves.

With regards to the CEO's of charities making money, you're talking about the massive ones such as concern. Animal welfare charities absolutely do not make money and the vast majority are volunteer run, they are constantly turning animals away because they simply cannot afford to take another and it's heartbreaking. The IGB is a multimillion euro industry. It doesn't stand to reason that you ask if people are getting value for money from the charities who struggle to clean up after such a rich industry.

Who do you think has the money there to run DNA tests on every grey they pick up? Honestly, if your post is genuine you seem to have no idea how tight most of these welfare groups are stretched.

The lucky dogs are the ones who are picked up, not the ones shot and dumped.

• Advertisement

"Who do you think has the money there to run DNA tests on every grey they pick up?"
    If a greyhound is picked up with ears mutilated to avoid identifying them, surely it's a matter for the Gardai and they would do the DNA test? Every breeding bitch and dog has to have a DNA sample taken before their offspring can be registered in the Stud Book. All others picked up would still have their tattoos intact.
    How many are picked up with mutilated ears every year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

"Who do you think has the money there to run DNA tests on every grey they pick up?"
    If a greyhound is picked up with ears mutilated to avoid identifying them, surely it's a matter for the Gardai and they would do the DNA test? Every breeding bitch and dog has to have a DNA sample taken before their offspring can be registered in the Stud Book. All others picked up would still have their tattoos intact.

The Gardai arent going to DNA test a dog, are you for real? They will throw them in the pound where they will more than likely end up dead.

I have heard of greyhound breeders who bring their dogs to the pound to be PTS and refuse to let them go up for adoption so they all get killed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Maryanne, are you for real? The Gardai can and do take hours to get to your house if you've been burgled. Do you really think they're going to go all CSI on a dog?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

What is your obsession with their ears? It's ok that they are killed so long as they have their ears? I answered your questions as best I could and you're still on about the ears, rather than actually comment on what I said.

I don't know how many are found mutilated, but I do know that about 9 thousand go missing every single year. Not found at all.

Have a read and a look at the pics at the end.

http://grai.ie/2012/04/10/racing-greyhounds-killed-and-dumped-in-mass-grave/

Of course the gardai don't dna test. Are you serious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Maryanne just to give you an idea of how far the government grant goes with rescues. The ammount changes from year to year. So it can't be depended on say a very small rescue might have gotten €2000 one year may get nothing at all the next year.

I know of a large, homegrown rescue which recieved a grant of €25000, this did not cover 1 half of 1 months cost for them. So while they appriciated it, it really isn't that much in the grand scheme of things. Rescues like these depend on the public to keep their doors open not any grants. And it certainly does not allow them to be paying massive wages to any of their staff, even those at the highest level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

To direct the topic back to greyhounds as a pet...

Myself and my girlfriend have been talking a lot about getting a dog when we're back living together (she's studying in a different country to me for the next few months), and we've been strongly considering a greyhound. The more I read about them (and I've read a lot at this stage!), the more I love them :) The only thing is, it would be our first dog - provided we got a retired dog (maybe 4/5 yrs +) from a greyhound rescue center, would we have much trouble handling it in an apartment? I know of course it depends on the dog itself, but would the general temperament of a retired greyhound suit first-time dog owners?

Also if anybody has a greyhound as a pet, please post it in the Post Your Pic thread! That thread gives myself and the gf a big smile whenever we look through it :D

Setun wrote: »
    To direct the topic back to greyhounds as a pet...

Myself and my girlfriend have been talking a lot about getting a dog when we're back living together (she's studying in a different country to me for the next few months), and we've been strongly considering a greyhound. The more I read about them (and I've read a lot at this stage!), the more I love them :) The only thing is, it would be our first dog - provided we got a retired dog (maybe 4/5 yrs +) from a greyhound rescue center, would we have much trouble handling it in an apartment? I know of course it depends on the dog itself, but would the general temperament of a retired greyhound suit first-time dog owners?

Also if anybody has a greyhound as a pet, please post it in the Post Your Pic thread! That thread gives myself and the gf a big smile whenever we look through it :D

I think that a grey would make a great first dog, don't think you could be going far wrong and as far as I am aware they are great for apartment living.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

Have a look on orchard greyhound sanctuary website. Mary Jane there does some fantastic work for rescues. Also some great stories/pics from re-homes.

I know of one other lady who had a greyhound in an apartment and as far as I know he gets on great. Regular walks are a must along with a routine. But nothing too strenuous as they are just as happy on the sofa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

Santa's little helper, he looks to be a form of a greyhound, he seems very intelligent & has a great temprement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Here is just one example of a dog whose DNA was taken... And it got the rescue group absolutely nowhere with the IGB.

From the facebook page of the GRAI (www.grai.ie)

Racing name: Tutts – kennel name

Ear marks: Tattoos burned off to avoid identification

DOB: Unknown as tattoos had been burned off both ears, to avoid identification

Competed: Unknown as above

Abandonment case: Found straying in Limerick City

Condition: Emaciated and infested with worms. Very nervous and could not be handled for several days.

Vet treatment: Treated for worms and fed on special diet to increase weight

Reported to the IGB: Yes. The dog was rescued in May 2011. On two occasions during the summer of 2011 Limerick Animal Welfare (LAW) asked a senior person at the IGB to arrange for a DNA sample to be taken. The request was repeated on two further occasions in the Autumn of 2011. An IGB steward called to the LAW sanctuary before Christmas 2011 and took the DNA samples. As of the current date (October 2012) The result of the test still have not been made known to LAW.

Outcome of IGB investigation: Awaiting results of DNA test. Still not received. The Registered Owner of this greyhound, who has never been to our attention in the past, gave her to a lady who was unknown to him in the Cahir area as a pet. He is extremely sorry that things turned out the way they did but at the time he thought that he was doing the right thing for the bitch as the next option was the vets or South Tipp Dog Pound to be put to sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I think that a grey would make a great first dog, don't think you could be going far wrong and as far as I am aware they are great for apartment living.

Fully agree - provided like all dogs you are prepared for the extra work that comes with living with a dog in an apartment i..e you have to get up, put your coat and shoes on and bring the dog out first thing in the morning and last thing at night for a toilet break. Its easier in house with a garden you just open the door :)

That aside greys are great dogs I foster for my local rescue and find they general settle in very quickly. Some within minutes.

As for the person that thinks people are making a lot of money from the Dept of Agriculture grants - thanks for the laugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,780 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I found this thread on the front page and expected adorable greyhound photos. I am upset.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Folks, whilst the tangent into the racing industry, grants etc was probably an inevitable, even necessary offshoot, I think the point has been made now.
    Let's get back on topic now, if anyone would like to start another thread on the welfare and ethics behind the racing industry, please go ahead.
    But from now on, back in keeping with the op, this thread is to stay on topic.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Wouldnt want anyone to be disappointed at Christmas so for all grey fans and especially for Overheal here is my girl. (least I hope it is as not sure if the attachment is working)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Thanks to the people who have mentioned Sighthound Strolls, the group I run with my friend.

For anyone considering adopting a greyhound/lurcher, please do find us on Facebook and get in touch and we can add you to our mailing list (I'm not alllowed to post our email address on here as far as I know!) The very best way to work out if they are the dog for you is to meet some that are happily homed and chat to their owners.

We have dogs attending who live in a wide variety of homes - homes with kids, cats, retired couples, single people, people living in apartments, people who bring their dogs to work, dogs who are pets as therapy dogs, dogs who take part in agility. You know, dogs the same as any other breed of dog! Some people don't seem to view them as regular dogs like any other due to the greyhound racing angle but I can assure you that most of them take their retirement from racing very seriously!

We had approx 70 greyhounds/lurchers at our walk last weekend and shock horror, not one of them required a muzzle!!!

Funnily enough before I met one years ago I didn't think they were that attractive to look at either but once you meet them, sans racing getup, I think you'd be surprised at just how stunning they are!

Here's a few photos from the day!

• Advertisement

Vel wrote: »
    Thanks to the people who have mentioned Sighthound Strolls, the group I run with my friend.

For anyone considering adopting a greyhound/lurcher, please do find us on Facebook and get in touch and we can add you to our mailing list (I'm not alllowed to post our email address on here as far as I know!) The very best way to work out if they are the dog for you is to meet some that are happily homed and chat to their owners.

We have dogs attending who live in a wide variety of homes - homes with kids, cats, retired couples, single people, people living in apartments, people who bring their dogs to work, dogs who are pets as therapy dogs, dogs who take part in agility. You know, dogs the same as any other breed of dog! Some people don't seem to view them as regular dogs like any other due to the greyhound racing angle but I can assure you that most of them take their retirement from racing very seriously!

We had approx 70 greyhounds/lurchers at our walk last weekend and shock horror, not one of them required a muzzle!!!

Funnily enough before I met one years ago I didn't think they were that attractive to look at either but once you meet them, sans racing getup, I think you'd be surprised at just how stunning they are!

Here's a few photos from the day!

I would personally like to say a massive thank you for the work that you are doing to change the perceptions of greyhounds in this country. Most people, myself included would have only seen greys either in racing circles or being walked within the local area by the man who kept a few with their muzzles. I had never seen one kept as a pet and still don't know anyone personally who does. YET. Before I started volunteering I had no idea what wonderful, fabulous dogs these are and if I am ever getting a dog again they will be very high on my short list.

I have seen in rescue time and time again people don't even bother to stop and pet the greys or take the time to even consider them for adoption. If people knew what they are truely like and how little exercise they actually need then i am sure that they wouldnt be waiting for months on end to be adopted and have to be flown to different countries to find homes. So the more people who see them being kept as pets the better!

Some sbsolutely fab dogs in those pics :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I was the same, the only context I saw greyhounds in when I was a kid was a brace of them being walked in muzzles by very grim-looking guys! I assumed they were cross and it took getting to meet them through the rescue I worked with for me to lose my totally unfounded fear.

I adore Border collies, that's my thing. To me they are the most beautiful dogs in all the world, inside and out. When my collie died unexpectedly this year, I decided a greyhound would be a good companion for my oldie collie x, who is ten.

Josie is a plain black, leggy dog. She's never going to win a rosette for her looks. But having decide to cast looks aside in making my choice, I've struck absolute gold.

Even my dad had apprehensions about adopting a greyhound. He thought he'd be a bit embarrassed by the mirthful attention she'd attract, bringing her around in the car like he does with our other dog. But a few months on, there he was last weekend out walking her in her pink fleece with her squeaky tennis ball in her mouth and it didn't cast him a thought. :)

They don't look like a typical pet dog, but they sure are one! And the minute they are in your heart, you don't worry about little things like that any more.

I had Josie with me today meeting a friend with a five year old little girl. Sophie ran straight towards her, arms outspread and wrapped her in a big hug around her neck. Josie didn't even flinch, but quietly wagged her tail and soaked up the affection. It was Sophie's first time meeting a greyhound so hopefully now she won't grow up with the same misconceptions as me. :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

boomerang wrote: »
    Even my dad had apprehensions about adopting a greyhound. He thought he'd be a bit embarrassed by the mirthful attention she'd attract, bringing her around in the car like he does with our other dog. But a few months on, there he was last weekend out walking her in her pink fleece with her squeaky tennis ball in her mouth and it didn't cast him a thought. :)

LOL! :D
    This, for me, is quote of the day! I'm still smiling at it!
    Thanks B!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Cant wait until Im in a position to adopt a grey!!!

More pics please people - and the more wearing scarves and snoods the better!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    Re the muzzling, my understanding is that greyhounds who are kept as running greyhounds have to be muzzled when out being exercised in public, pet greyhounds don't.
    I've fostered greys, and had several lurchers as pets.

Great fun, very lazy animals, but very affectionate, and very talkative sometimes :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

I agree with the OP and everyone here, Greyhounds and Whippets (I had one for 17 years) are simply FABULOUS pets . . .

They don't shed
    They need short walks or short runs
    They don't have that doggie smell
    They are very lazy indoors
    They are generally very healthy
    If it's one of those horrible days like the world is ending, they DON'T EVEN WANT to go outside . . .
    They are very loyal but don't demand too much attention
    They rarely bark,
    If you get one as a pup, no problem with cats . . .
    The list goes on and on

A few more pics from our walk!!

And a few more

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Lovely pics, that blond lurcher is just beautiful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Stheno wrote: »
    Lovely pics, that blond lurcher is just beautiful[/Quote

I just love these : )
    Inca with the sheep jacket & horns : )
    a5 & the milkey one ; just love to bits!

Thank you : )

Advertisement