Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which composer(s) grew on you

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭Sanguine Fan

[QUOTE=purebeta;83299488
    That said, most music from inexperienced or naiive Avant-Garde composers
    is nothing more than a will to impress, and more often than not these are the works which I'm not a fan of.

Some works which I'm particularly fond of at the moment(but by no means easy to listen to):
    http://youtu.be/HBTSFRqN9V4 - Adámek - Ca tourne ça bloque
    http://youtu.be/Qf2PDi-4BNw - Van der Aa - Imprint
    http://youtu.be/NovmhQV8IfI - André - iv 4 (This one in particular takes some close listening)
    http://youtu.be/H2Rmk0zIECk - Billone - 1+1=1 (Quite heavy, but has some quieter, more still moments)[/QUOTE]

These pieces are all interesting in their own way. I can't say I find any of them attractive, but that's subjective of course. Would prolonged exposure to music like this eventually render me open to its pleasures? Perhaps, but I don't think it is worth the investment of time and energy.

I watched the second episode of The Sound and the Fury on BBC 4 recently. It covered the post-war avant-garde composers of the Darmstadt school, e.g. Boulez, Nono, etc., and later people such as Birtwistle. What struck me about them all was their indifference if not hostility towards their audiences.

Why on earth would you create anything unless it is to communicate to someone else? I think it was Birtwistle who commented that he will keep writing the music he writes until the audience gets it. For me, it raises the question as to where creative vision ends and blind arrogance begins?

It's impossible to answer, of course. I doubt if anyone could distinguish between true artistic integrity and charlatanism based solely on listening to a composer's work. Having said that, I am sure some of the composers of music I hate must be utterly genuine in their desire to express something deep within themselves. I just wish they would do so in a way that would mean something to more than just a small audience of those who understand the process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

In keeping with the ? on the thread I would have to say Patrick Cassidy.
    Irish composer who has written a lot of beautiful pieces.
    A lot for scores, but hey they are still beautiful for "modern" pieces

Edit, having just posted the above I have just listened to Vide cor meum and I stand by my choice :-)

(I am also a classicist btw so don't judge me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Anyone in the Helix last night (Wed)? The Fidelio Trio played Anton Arensky's Piano Trio, Op 32. A really beautiful piece of music. Why haven't I heard it before this?

In short, Arensky is definitely growing on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Anyone in the Helix last night (Wed)? The Fidelio Trio played Anton Arensky's Piano Trio, Op 32. A really beautiful piece of music. Why haven't I heard it before this?

In short, Arensky is definitely growing on me.

How did you find the Fergus Johnson work they premiered? I meant to get up to it but things conspired against me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

pconn062 wrote: »
    How did you find the Fergus Johnson work they premiered? I meant to get up to it but things conspired against me.

Not to my taste, unfortunately. The wife didn't like it, either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭MomijiHime

Mozart after learning that he proposed to Marie Antoinette when they were children ..I think it's sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The Scandinavian composer.. who's name I forgot... same time frame as late Mozart / Early Beethoven... gah what was his name...

Advertisement