Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary Schools in Wicklow Town

• 17-12-2012 12:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, can anyone give some honest opinions on the various secondary schools around Wicklow town. Girls and co-eds?
    When I went to school there (DCW) it wasn't a great school back then to be honest but maybe things have changed?

Will be moving back hopefully and not sure what to do about secondary schools, the one she goes to now (we're down the country) is excellent. Good teachers, good results and strict policies on bullying etc. (although I know that kind of thing will go on in every school a bit).

What are the schools like now, am tempted to go co-ed as she was in a co-ed primary.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

East Glendalough is a great school by all accounts, but you may not even get on the waiting list!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

East Glendalough is protestant though, so depending on ones persuasion admitance may be an issue, (still I agree that its a good school).

The Dominican seems fine by most accounts, though there are issues with bullying (or the lack of response to).

Alternatively there is the new "Colaiste Chill Mhantain" (stupid name).
    On the back road to Rathnew.
    It is the new home for the DLS & Abbey CC.
    I don't know anyone directly but I hear that its a good school, but poorly run and a bit rough (just what I hear though).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Thanks folks, something to think about. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

From what I hear the principal is extremely strict. The school looks very impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 riya99

Always wonder, is down the country different to up the country, or is it just outside the pale???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 lardarse99

Colaiste Chill Mhantain nice new school shame about the principle there though seem to be power mad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

lardarse99 wrote: »
    Colaiste Chill Mhantain nice new school shame about the principle there though seem to be power mad

On principle, I would not be happy with a power mad Principal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Not sure ryia99 all the schools in our nearest town (North Tipp region) are pretty good, the one our young one is in at the moment is really good so when we do eventually move I'd like to continue on the way she's going, she's doing well in it and I know from being in DCW that it wouldn't be my first choice (although maybe it's changed a lot since?)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Obafemi Adaraloye

Colaiste chill Mhantain is a great school, good facility, with some few great student and most of all great Teachers. I would also like to say Thank you to all the staff and team off Colaiste chill Mhantina who have help me over the last 7 years there, you're kindness will always be remember with gratitude. Deep appreciation goes to everybody there You're thoughtfulness has meant more than word could ever say. Thank you every body.

Obafemi Adaraloye

• Registered Users Posts: 1 RosieCK1999

Coláiste Chraobh Abhann is an excellent school. The principal and vice-principal are very fair and they deal with problems quite quickly. Great atmosphere in the school all together and teachers are very pleasant.
    I don't know if this would be too far for you but I know my friends daughter attended from Wicklow town and my daughter goes to Coláiste Chroabh Abhann.
    Defiantly a school to consider, my daughter loves school and doesn't want to leave !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Coláiste Chraobh Abhann is an excellent school. The principal and vice-principal are very fair and they deal with problems quite quickly. Great atmosphere in the school all together and teachers are very pleasant.
    I don't know if this would be too far for you but I know my friends daughter attended from Wicklow town and my daughter goes to Coláiste Chroabh Abhann.
    Defiantly a school to consider, my daughter loves school and doesn't want to leave !
    Colaiste chill Mhantain is a great school, good facility, with some few great student and most of all great Teachers. I would also like to say Thank you to all the staff and team off Colaiste chill Mhantina who have help me over the last 7 years there, you're kindness will always be remember with gratitude. Deep appreciation goes to everybody there You're thoughtfulness has meant more than word could ever say. Thank you every body.

Obafemi Adaraloye

The cynics amongst us may find it hard to believe that the following is just a coincidence:

1) The above posts are the first post from two separate users.
    2) These first posts appear consecutively in the same thread.
    3) Both posts have similar content i.e. they both praise school staff and their schools.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭slickmcvic

2011 wrote: »
    The cynics amongst us may find it hard to believe that the following is just a coincidence:

3) Both posts have similar content i.e. they both praise school staff and their schools.

....yeah,but those amongst us with "HALF A BRAIN!!" will notice that each post praises alternate schools not the same institution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

2011 wrote: »

Also CCM hasn't been around 7 years!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

The person who was praising CCM was praising it because he was in the school.

The 7 years he was refering to were the 3 years he spent in CCM and the 4 years he spent in the Abbey Community College which later became CCM.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,598 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Boaty wrote: »

The 7 years he was refering to were the 3 years he spent in CCM and the 4 years he spent in the Abbey Community College which later became CCM.

No doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Boaty wrote: »

of course..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭edenbridge146

My daughter is in CCM and from a parents perspective I hate it!!
    So impersonal.
    Communication - Anytime you need to speak or communicate to a teacher it has to be written in the journal. Every other school in the country has an email address......they never answer the telephone!!
    Secondly, the attendance of the teachers. My daughter comes home every week where he has had free classes of some sort.
    Going back to my first point, I asked about a scholarship available and the teacher in question knew nothing about it. I then went to the VEC office who informed me they offer 3 scholarships every year. Why did the teacher not know this??
    Thirdly, my daughter needed help with one of her questions in his maths class. Although she is bright at maths, she explained to me she doesn't have the time to explain thoroughly as there are other kids who need her time more. There are 35 in the maths class. In otherwords 'Not her problem'. So my daughter is penalised??
    Fourthly, my daughter selected Home Economics on the subject form. She decided to change this in the first week and was offered Techncical Graphics. That's it!! The child loathes Technical Graphics.
    Its a conveyor belt system and nothing personal about education. The teachers are under pressure with little resources and i suppose they've done the best with the situation but i will be moving him for the leaving cert as my child is not paying the price for a poorly run, sloppy secondary school that cashes in on the monopoly it utilises by being the only secondary school in the area.

I am concerned that comments / posts on this thread may be biased and could be damaging to reputation of a school.

I am going to lock this thread for the moment. If you have strong opinions either way please PM me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement