Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving a car at Carlow train station overnight

Options
  • 17-12-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

Has anyone any experience of leaving a car at Carlow station over night. I'm planning on overnighting in Dublin occasionally during the week, and was curious if this was doable.

I notice that there are CCTV cameras around the station entrance, so parking there would certainly be safer than way down the back. Anyone done this and suffered vandalism as a result, or not suffered anything as a result?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Has anyone any experience of leaving a car at Carlow station over night. I'm planning on overnighting in Dublin occasionally during the week, and was curious if this was doable.

I notice that there are CCTV cameras around the station entrance, so parking there would certainly be safer than way down the back. Anyone done this and suffered vandalism as a result, or not suffered anything as a result?
    That is a very quiet spot late at night and if anyone was around they would not be noticed and could damage or take whatever they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,413 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I agree. I would not leave my car there OP I have to admit. Wasn't there a case a few years back of a load of cars being vandalised there? Prob before the CCTV came in but it was notorious.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Michael_Dare

Yes, but an active and running CCTV camera should deter anyone, surely? With the CBS school right next door - prime target for late night vandals - I'd imagine that whole corner is covered by cameras.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Maybe someone on here who leaves nearby might let you park in their drive.

Yes, but an active and running CCTV camera should deter anyone, surely? With the CBS school right next door - prime target for late night vandals - I'd imagine that whole corner is covered by cameras.

You would think but the thugs that do these things don't give one sh1te about the law, let alone your car/property.
    Can you leave it in the Superquinn car park oernight or that one on Dublin st where hotel used to be, and walk over. Never parked there but looks very secure and safe.

• Advertisement

That Dublin Street car park is interesting - I'd forgotten about that. I was thinking about putting an ad in the Nationalist offering €50 a month for a spot in someone's driveway - Rathnapish maybe. That's within easy walking distance. These days, there's bound to be a lot of people who'd grab €600 a year for a spot in their driveway.

That Dublin Street car park is interesting - I'd forgotten about that. I was thinking about putting an ad in the Nationalist offering €50 a month for a spot in someone's driveway - Rathnapish maybe. That's within easy walking distance. These days, there's bound to be a lot of people who'd grab €600 a year for a spot in their driveway.

Well it wouldn't be far to walk either from the station, less than 5 mins I'd say.
    €600 per year sounds like a lot ot spend on something you wouldn't be using everyday or only intermittently.

At €8 a week, you're already paying €416 a year at the station. The extra isn't much on top.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What about the carpark by the garda station?

What about the carpark by the garda station?

I thought about that one, but I'm not sure they do weekly rates. It seems like a temporary, pay as you go car park.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Also the station is not always manned and damage to cars outside could easily go unnoticed late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

couple of years ago now but mine got broken into as did 3 others on the night

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nomunnnofun

If I was you, I'd leave it in the Irishmans carpark. I've always left mine there overnight when going to town on weekends and is always safe. 3 euro exit fee only. And is just a 5 min stroll to station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I live not far from train station and there doesnt be many people there at night the only thing you need to worry about is getting clamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

PM sent with location of where you can leave the car overnight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

See the big ugly building next to the train station? :-P
    CBS secondary school...I go there anyway generally during the day people hang in and around there and Dympas and although school is finished for Xmas right now I would be weary leaving the car around there as someone else recommended the Irishmens bar or whatever's its called has cheap and safe €3 parking

Advertisement