Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private sector to lecturing

Options
  • 17-12-2012 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Hi Guys

I beleive I'm about to be offered a position of full-time assistant lecturer in a Dublin university (3yr contract). If I take the position I will be moving from a relativly comfortable job in the private sector and taking a substantial drop in salary. I love the subject and it's a creative course, so I know I will enjoy the experience. I know that only I can make the final decision, but I would love to hear some advice and Insider information on the life of a lecturer, the pros & Cons etc. Am I crazy to even consider this move!?

thanks
    Freddie
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭samsamson

Hi freddie,

I'll be watching this thread with interest, I'd love to see what insights people have to share.

In the meantime, this thread of mine is somewhat relevant and you might find it interesting: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056826094

Sam

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭freddie

Thanks Sam

Like you I am finding it difficult to find good info though Google. I was offered the the job just before Christmas, so I have had a couple of big decisions to make over the last few days. Anyway I am going to take the job and I am starting at the end of January - with absolutely no idea what to expect!

Thanks for sharing our link, some great info there. I will be watching with interest.

Freddie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Figerty

First step is to join the relevent lecturing trade union! I'll get shot down for saying that but it's true. A three year contract is setup to prevent you ever getting a CID and semi-permancy should you wish to. There is particularly devious approach being taken at the moment. Your Head of Department will load the work on if you are in a vulnerable contract postion!

The Union also offers serious protection from spurious actions by students. This does occur occasionally. I have seen it happen to staff and it took serious union represetation action to ensure no unjust reputational damage was done to the innocent party's.

Second thing is never B******* students. They will find you out and you will loose all respect. If you don't know the answer to a question, then say you don't know and will find out. Always come back with the answer.
    Once you loose respect it's gone.

If you don't like working with people then you won't ever enjoy working with students. It takes great patience sometime and other times they are a joy.

You never know what is going on in students life. Poverty is rife in third level at the moment. Colleges won't admit this publically but we are hearing of massive pressures in all colleges. The screwed up grant system has caused unbelievable hardship this year in all colleges. Ruari Quinn should be ashamed of the damage his foul up has done.

Enjoy your holidays you will need them and take them as compensation for the drop in salary. If you are taking the job for the holidays then the rest of the year will be a nightmare! I don't think you that way inclined.

Never walk in to a classroom unprepared an idle class is an hard on everyone and you won't get any enjoyment. Your position is to teach your expertise and knowlege and guide, inspire, challange and lead your students education. Anything less and you will have a tough time. If you do it right it is a massively rewarding job.

Your comforatable job at the moment will be a distant memory for the first year as it takes about 3-4 hours to prepare a 1 hour quality lecture and each lecture leads to the next one! Students eat notes so plan tutorial questions that demand they go and figure out their own problems. Spoon feeding the learner is sometimes necessary, but weaning off is also necessary.

It may sound odd. But have your face to the class as much as possible and use eye contact. I have collegues that have their back to the class while engaged in writing on the board and you never know whats going on. Yes, third level students should be mature, but not all are.

Get your module descriptors immediately and find out what exactly you are teaching. Make sure you check past papers and stick close to this for the first year. You will be murdered with work for the first year without trying to write newly structured exams.. in other words get the lie of the land before you try to change it.

Get as much right in your notes in the first year and tweak thereafter. The dynamic of a class changes every year, you will learn to read it!

Get to the canteen and get to know people. Staff office can be empty and lonely if you don't make the effort. Check out the photocopying, email, internet connection, phone, purchase ordering system etc. before you need them.

I will be interested to hear 1 year from now how you have gotten on. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭freddie

Thank you so much for the detailed and extremily helpful advice - It is exactly the type of information I need.

Union - I forgot about that side of things! Do I get a choice, or do I just go with the IFUT?

When you say my head of Dept will load on the work, is that to pressure me out in order to get someone new in on a new contract? Surely not?

I will do my best not to B******* students, good advice. Any more advice on gaining early respect? Or just getting through that first lecture. I'm not nervous yet but I have a feeling I will be!

I completely agree with you regarding the grant system and students personal circumstances - I have seen it up close. It's very important for teachers at all levels to reminded every now and again.

Holidays? I have been advised that I will be working 9 - 5 and most of my "holidays" will be taken up with research - and that's the attitude I'll be going in with. I would also be interested to see how I'm getting on in a year ....even a week would be good :)

Thanks again for a really helpful post

Freddie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭Figerty

No bother Freddie,
    Most of the Heads of Departments are sound.. but some have mastered the art of getting someone else to do thier work! Could be timetabling, pormotional work, programme reviews etc. Others do it all and lead from the front.
    When you are on a 3 year contract and would like to contiune, your eagerness can be useful to the HOD. Or if you wish to progress then the HOD will have a major input into this.

You need to make clear distinction between Class contact hours/non class contact hours and Holidays. Non class contact is where research takes place. Holidays is where your brain gets a break! Tired brain,,,tired body!

• Advertisement
Advertisement