Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shift Swapping

• 17-12-2012 3:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, does anyone know if arranging a shift swap yourself is alright to do? I of course will confirm it with my manager as soon as I do so he can update the rota. I need a certain day off but he is a little iffy about allowing us time off without a huge amount of notice and I've only discovered I need it off today. (It's for next week).
    I want to ask around and see if someone will take my shift for me so I have an option to provide him with when I call him but is there any problems usually with doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I've not worked in a shift work environment, but I'd imagine that it varies widely from company to company. Some places might just need to know that the correct amount of staff will be in work, some might like to control who's there in particular. Maybe ask one of your colleagues if it's the done thing in your place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,468 ✭✭✭vandriver

Maybe a better idea to ask your supervisor if you could swap a shift,and mention the other staff member who is facilitating you,rather than telling the supervisor what you are doing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It can cause major issues with time off between shifts depending on the rotations etc. so as the post above I'd approach the Supervisor before I approach any members about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

vandriver wrote: »
    Maybe a better idea to ask your supervisor if you could swap a shift,and mention the other staff member who is facilitating you,rather than telling the supervisor what you are doing.

I actually contacted my supervisor first about the day off because my manager was absent and he said to find someone to take my place before calling my manager. Which I have done. All I need to do now is to ring my manager and ask if he is willing to allow the other person to take my place.
    There is an infamous problem with communication between the supervisor and manager though as the two men constantly change their minds about what they agree on...I'm just wondering if arranging your own replacement for a shift is the norm in any other places? Has anyone had an experience with it not being alright to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Depends totally on the company.

If it's a direct swap, then make sure that the other person is about the same skill level as you (so they have the same overall balance of people on both the shifts). Or if the other person just does the shift for you, make sure they're better at the job than you. (No manager will thank you for giving them an extra dose of someone who's not very good at the job).

And as someone said, make it like a suggestion, not as if you're telling them. (The gentle art of managing-up is basically about making your manager think that their ideas are your ideas.)

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

• Advertisement
Advertisement