Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EA Origin Question

• 17-12-2012 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭

I got an email in the middle of the night on Friday night saying that my Origin password was changed successfully. I never changed anything (and I probably only registered on Origin for something on Xbox Live, maybe to get free DLC or something - I never actually logged in via the web).

So I did the safe thing - I reset the password manually myself. Being ultra paranoid (just in case I used a common password), I also changed my google password and hotmail password, just to be safe.

I just got another email with a password reset link, followed by a "Your password was changed successfully" email. I don't know what the hell is going on.

Any Origin users here know what's going on? I know now that their service was hacked in November. I wonder if this is related?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Got no e-mails here, could have been part of the hack a few weeks back alright. But heard some of those had the e-mails then changed to a Russian e-mail account, or that could be another service hack. So least you got there before anything bad happened or I'm mistaken.

Oh and before the thread devolves into this (and always does when Origin is mentioned):

"hurhur hrurdurrr Origin sux, use Steam you noobs hurrrhurhuyufrhrhuhrrh"

So constructive posts from now on please!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

There's been a rash of Origin account attacks recently, mostly to hijack BF3 accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,521 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Don't have BF3.

My concern is that if I reset it manually on Friday night, how was it reset again a half an hour ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Yeah i heard about this recently too, i know ye already have changed yours, but anyone with an origin account should change their password - just to be sure, to be sure :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I got the same, went to EA Support and was advised to change my password. Got Dead Space for free also.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys, I just changed it again manually (to something lastpass would be proud of). :)

Lets see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,546 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Mr E wrote: »
    I

So I did the safe thing - I reset the password manually myself. Being ultra paranoid (just in case I used a common password), I also changed my google password and hotmail password, just to be safe.

I just got another email with a password reset link, followed by a "Your password was changed successfully" email. I don't know what the hell is going on.

Did you get the email when you changed it yourself, could that second email not be from you changing the password?

Set up an authenticator on the gmail account.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

First off don't click the links I know it's obvious but hey.

Try to login in to Origin and see if it's any different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Same thing happened to me last week , changed password like recommended. Have thrown up a forum post over there about it(even though it appears that origin are aware of it now and have it sorted) see if I get a free game out of it.would have been nice of them to alert people about it though, if it was a common problem they were aware of. Just another reason why I couldn't be arsed using the origin client.

Stev_o wrote: »
    First off don't click the links I know it's obvious but hey.

I'm in the email industry, so I can spot a phishing email a mile off (the email had a valid SPF record and DKIM) - it was definitely from EA.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Actually, take Stev_o's advise literally. I've seen it before with battlenet e-mails getting spoofed, which had links that redirected to sites that looked like a blizzard site.

If I ever getting anything about supisicous activities, I don't use the links in the email notification, I'd go onto the website I know is secure.

Sounds like Origin may be the new phishers paradise.
    Mr E wrote: »
    I'm in the email industry, so I can spot a phishing email a mile off (the email had a valid SPF record and DKIM) - it was definitely from EA.

Isn't that how spoofing works though? I've seen stuff that looked like my own email address getting spammed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Actually, take Stev_o's advise literally. I've seen it before with battlenet e-mails getting spoofed, which had links that redirected to sites that looked like a blizzard site.

If I ever getting anything about supisicous activities, I don't use the links in the email notification, I'd go onto the website I know is secure.

Sounds like Origin may be the new phishers paradise.

Isn't that how spoofing works though? I've seen stuff that looked like my own email address getting spammed.

afaik you cant spoof domain keys or spf records as they are actually tied to the domain the email is sent from. Your email provider then looks up the records in the same way you would do a whois on the domain. If they match its real if not its phished and sent to spam.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Is your account valuable, i.e. many games on it? I haven't received any such emails myself. Perhaps it would be worthwhile to drop EA a support ticket to allow them look into the issue? Sounds suspicious.

It was a bare minimum account (I hadn't even set an Origin ID), so it's useless.
    I'd say I just registered it to get some free DLC on xbox live - I can't even remember what game. Dead Space 2 maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

I got one earlier today but i cant even remember the last time i used an ea account so or if i even have anything registered to to it so i wasn't to bothered to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I've been suspicious of origin for a while now. My old password was 19 chars long, and without any notification, passwords were suddenly limited to 16 chars. Now, this in itself may not sound too awful, but my password was truncated to the maximum 16 characters, i.e., they cut the last three off. This tells me that the passwords were not securely encrypted. Saw another guy whi encountered the same who mentioned it on reddit, who supposedly brought it up on the EA forums only to be banned.

To be honest though, I don't care. I have no games on origin that I want to keep so badly that I'll deal with a company or service with such awful practises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭ondafly

I had this happen to me also - yesterday evening @5.45pm I quickly followed the link in the reset email (someone obviously didn't change the forwarding address) and I changed the password myself. Like the above, I really don't use origin, it seemed to have me down for a Skate 2 game and BFBC2, I also got the rage, trying to find somewhere I could email and advise EA/Origin about it and gave up eventually and went back to playing Castlevania on my PC Engine Duo R (the classic consoles don't try and link ya to facebook at every chance :pac:)

Below is an extract of the mail. All headers were legit etc, so its not a spammer.

Hi ondafly,

You're receiving this email because you requested a password reset for your Origin account. If you did not request this change, you can safely ignore this email.

Click the link below to begin the password reset process:

https://www.ea.com/ie/profile/reset-password?U*************************

Regards,
    Your friends at Origin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i completly lost my account because of the same thing had to start all my games from the start , they couldnt stop him , every time i reset my password he changed it back :( , real PITA there has to be a very obvious flaw with origin security its happening way too many people lately :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Darragh18

does anybody have a contact number for origin ea i need to contact them before i kill someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,711 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Darragh18 wrote: »
    does anybody have a contact number for origin ea i need to contact them before i kill someone
    You'll get faster response from here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,508 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I dont think there is any telephone support, but their online support is pretty good - https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/select?question=Origin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

There is a phone number but its either uk or US I cant remember . The time I had my issue . The phone was a far more sucessful way for me .il try root it out for u when I get home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,873 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

08702432435 it is written inside the box of any EA game. Or you can use the chat feature on Help.ea.com.

im ringing the number and it's not attempting to even dial am calling from ireland

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

im ringing the number and it's not attempting to even dial

You did include the UK country code, didn't you?

im still waiting on answer the phone

is there anybody who works with ea or origin that can help me on dis

is there anybody who works with ea or origin that can help me on dis

No one who works with EA or Origin would publicly say so in front of gaming community.

Advertisement