Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heading to Oz in 2013, help required.

Options
  • 17-12-2012 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hello, first off I want to thank you in advance for even clicking this thread and reading this because this whole situation means a great deal to me. I'll give a little spill of my situation before asking a few questions.

In 2010 I met this perfect girl online, and since then we grew closer and closer. I visited her for a month in June of this year, and it was perfect. I'm now going to head over to Australia in 2013, at the end of January for hopefully 12 months. I'm going to apply for a "Working Holiday Visa". I've did some research, and apparently if you spend 12 months (or over) in person with your partner, you're able to sign up for a Defacto Visa or a Prospective Spouse Visa. I'm ready to make the commitment to start my move to Australia.

When I go over in January 2013, her mother said she's more than happy to let me live with them and she'd even get me a job at her work for my duration (I know you can only work 6 months in one place, then have to switch employers so she has a second job lined up for me also.) I also have over £3,500 in my bank (Over $5000) so I can provide proof I have enough money when I enter.

So here's my questions:
    (I'm currently 19, so I'm old enough to get the Visa's required).

Q1: I want to use a Migration Agent to get my "Working Holiday Visa" as I've looked through the application and it's really confusing me. What one would you recommend to me? (I need a bank account in Oz + a Tax File thing to work)

Q2: If you don't think a Migration Agent is the best solution, what would I need to fill out myself to do the equivalent?

Q3: After the year is up, do you recommend going for a Defacto Visa, or a Prospective Marriage one?

If you've made it this far, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I've read through some stickies on here first, but wanted to see what information people had for my situation. This is pretty much going to be my life, so thanks for anyone who replies.

-Mark

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Have a read through Rightyabe's thread and that should answer your immediate questions about the WHV.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73021962#post73021962

You don't need to go through an agent to get a visa and you just need your passport and a credit card (I think, not sure if they take Laser or what the other payment options are) to do it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

mrstorm wrote: »
    Q1: I want to use a Migration Agent to get my "Working Holiday Visa" as I've looked through the application and it's really confusing me. What one would you recommend to me? (I need a bank account in Oz + a Tax File thing to work)
    Are you sure you looked at the right visa. A WHV application is really straightforward. A migration agent is total overkill. A waste of money.
    Q2: If you don't think a Migration Agent is the best solution, what would I need to fill out myself to do the equivalent?
    You don't need anything. It's a set of simple questions.
    Q3: After the year is up, do you recommend going for a Defacto Visa, or a Prospective Marriage one?
    A prospective marriage visa is to enter the country to get married within a few months. Not really applicable.

You may qualify for a defacto visa, but its a lot more than just being there is person for 9 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Thats pretty much a pre-meditated version of how I ended up here, except for meeting herself online.

Leave the migration agent out of it, keep every scrap of information about how you met, correspondence flights etc.

Go on your WHV trip to Oz, but go and do your regional work for a 2nd year. Once year one is up, the options are then open for a de-facto visa for you. TBH, I would wait until you are well into your second year in-country before applying for the de-facto, as there are travel restrictions on the bridging visa they will put you on while the application is being processed.
    Get all of your documentation in order well before the deadline for your WHV finish and get the application in. (might be worth a visit home before this as it could be 12-18 months before your 820 is granted) at which time you will be given a 2 year temporary visa (no restrictions on travel, work, study) after which time you will be automatically considered for Permanent residence status.

I have gone through all of this successfully, and it has worked out well. Don't hesitate to PM if you have any dramas with the forms, they look very detailed and complicated, but its just a matter of having all the information on hand,
    it is worth having all of your family info on-hand prior to coming to Oz if you are sure this is what you want to do, as it will save chasing birthdays and passport numbers etc. through the timezones. Garda character reference letter from your local supernintendo is worth lining up before you leave also. (full clearance letter from Phoenix park wasn't necessary for me, please God its the same for you as that takes bloody months to get)

Be patient, dot the i's cross the t's and keep every shred of information about your relationship and your life together.

Best of luck mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 mrstorm

"keep every scrap of information about how you met, correspondence flights etc."
    I don't understand the above? We met online so I'm not sure what would apply as evidence hah. (New computer, don't have a chat log from our first conversations)

I'm under the assumption that if I spent the 12 months with her using a WHV that means our time in person has progressed to 12+ months. Which I would be able to get a Prospective Marriage Visa, and that says I'm allowed to be in the country for 9 months under the intention of marriage within those 9 months. So if we got married, I'd be able to fill out for another Visa, which would be the Partner Visa(?) That once granted lets me stay for 2-3 years temp, and if we're still together and can prove it and such I'll be granted a permanent one. I understand each Visa costs around $1k, and I don't mind paying for the Visa's. And I don't care about travelling to/from the UK. If I need to reapply in the UK, I will. I'm not sure how much sense I'm making. I'm basically just trying to find a way so the next time I'm with her in person we'll never have to say goodbye for x amount of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

Do your regional work when you get out there first to get the 2nd year visa, then you will have at least a year and a half before you have to apply for the de facto visa.

I dont meant to be pessimistic but I wouldnt put your eggs in one basket, meeting online and seeing each other for a month is very different to living together and seeing each other constantly. Id let the relationship flow naturally before bringing in the added pressure of applying for a defacto visa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

"keep every scrap of information about how you met, correspondence flights etc."
    I don't understand the above? We met online so I'm not sure what would apply as evidence hah. (New computer, don't have a chat log from our first conversations)

I'm under the assumption that if I spent the 12 months with her using a WHV that means our time in person has progressed to 12+ months. Which I would be able to get a Prospective Marriage Visa, and that says I'm allowed to be in the country for 9 months under the intention of marriage within those 9 months. So if we got married, I'd be able to fill out for another Visa, which would be the Partner Visa(?) That once granted lets me stay for 2-3 years temp, and if we're still together and can prove it and such I'll be granted a permanent one. I understand each Visa costs around $1k, and I don't mind paying for the Visa's. And I don't care about travelling to/from the UK. If I need to reapply in the UK, I will. I'm not sure how much sense I'm making. I'm basically just trying to find a way so the next time I'm with her in person we'll never have to say goodbye for x amount of months.

Mate your 19, and you met this girl online. You don't have to think about marriage yet.
    As above said, you can get 2 years WHV if you are willing to do regional work (where does she live??).
    Then after 1 year together you can apply for the partner visa.
    You don't have to get married to get the partner visa.

You propose: WHV -> Prospective marriage -> Resident
    Easier way: WHV -> Resident.
    You are adding a lot of extra steps, inc. marriage

hussey wrote: »

Mate your 19, and you met this girl online. You don't have to think about marriage yet.
    As above said, you can get 2 years WHV if you are willing to do regional work (where does she live??).
    Then after 1 year together you can apply for the partner visa.
    You don't have to get married to get the partner visa.

You propose: WHV -> Prospective marriage -> Resident
    Easier way: WHV -> Resident.
    You are adding a lot of extra steps, inc. marriage

She lives in Brisbane, QLD. Apparently that location is excluded for regional work. You mention a defacto is a better choice. What if I spend 12 months in Australia with her, then we both spend 12 months in Scotland while I apply for a defacto visa. Surely that would help things?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mishymc

I just applied for my 820 onshore partner visa, been waiting 5 months now!
    I think your best option is to apply for your 1yr WHV (no need for a migration agent), do your 3 months regional work, get your 2nd yr WHV then apply for the 820/801 partner visa. This is what I have done! (although I met my partner while I was on my 1st WHV). This gives you enough time to gather all the evidence that you need for the partner visa.

12 months in Oz and 12 months in Scotland could also work if you prefer! It's enough time to gather evidence however, you cannot come back to Australia until the offshore visa has been approved which could be another 12 months!

Prospective Marraige visa isn't really relevant here. It means you apply offshore and once you enter Australia you have to get married within 9 months. It is not something you want to rush into considering you are quite young, and also you don't know how everything will go (whether its the relationship/lifestyle etc. You might end up hating Oz when you get there!!). Also you still need to apply for the 820/801 after this!

I don't think there is a need for a migration agent! They offer advice and tell you what you need, but with enough research and organisation you can do it yourself! At the end of the day you still need to do all the hard work and gather all the evidence!

There are work restrictions on the WHV but there is a template on the immigration website you can fill out to request an extension. Also, once you apply for the 820 you can fill out form 1005.
    Hope this helps!

She lives in Brisbane, QLD. Apparently that location is excluded for regional work. You mention a defacto is a better choice. What if I spend 12 months in Australia with her, then we both spend 12 months in Scotland while I apply for a defacto visa. Surely that would help things?

I am confused. You can spend 24hrs in Australia with her, you can apply for a defacto and be granted a bridging visa (You should really read the immi.gov.au website) which means you can stay here while visa is processed.

Unless you want to travel to scotland?

I am confused. You can spend 24hrs in Australia with her, you can apply for a defacto and be granted a bridging visa (You should really read the immi.gov.au website) which means you can stay here while visa is processed.

Unless you want to travel to scotland?
    I'll read up on it when I'm home in a few hours. But you're yelling me I can apply for my defacto visa during my 12 month visit and be granted a bridging visa which allows me to stay in aus while its processed? Because i would much prefer that. I'd rather avoid travelling home (i thought it was required)

• Advertisement

You can apply for the de-facto on-shore at any stage, but you have to remain in the country and be in the country when it is granted.
    do your WHV, do your 3 months farm work, (the darling downs is only 2.5 hours from Bris, has plenty of seasonal farm work that pays okay money) get your 2nd year WHV, see how it pans out, then before that runs out, get the application in, you will have lived together for over 12 months, you will probably have a dual bank account and shared household bills by then, you will have oodles of evidence to prove your relationship, no restrictions on your bridging visa and you won't have to spend 5 or 6 grand travelling back to the wet patch to wait for an offshore processing.....its a win win win situation.

Plus you will get to meet some Dinky Di Aussies out on the farms, they are the Heart and soul of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Elfman

Hi Mark ,

A few bits of advice from my experience :

- NO real need for this, go to the site http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/working-holiday.htm and apply online. when you're here you can go to any council building and get your tax file number.

- See Above

- With regards to this I would go and see an imigration agent in Oz. Go early as if you apply for a defacto etc they can advise about making sure you have the records needed to prove you are a legit couple. So for instance if you open a joint bank account , get some bills in both your names and now you can even register as a couple with the local government. this all makes life easier . Also ask about your other options.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭statina

The overall verdict seems to be do your regional work. You havent mentioned regional work in any of your responses so maybe its something you're not considering??

My advice would be to think about your options rationally and logically and not to be ruled by the heart!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

statina wrote: »
    My advice would be to think about your options rationally and logically and not to be ruled by the heart!!!
    Well his reason to go to Australia is for a woman so rational and logic won't be high on the priority list. But hey, before you are old and wise you must first be young and reckless!

statina wrote: »
    The overall verdict seems to be do your regional work. You havent mentioned regional work in any of your responses so maybe its something you're not considering??

I will be living with my girlfriend and her mother for the duration of my stay. Her mother can get me a job (then a second job after the first six months is up). Both jobs would be really local, and pay decent. I don't want to do regional work mainly because I can't drive and don't want to travel x amount of hours a day there and back for 3 months. I really would rather go down the Defacto way sooner.
    catbear wrote: »
    Well his reason to go to Australia is for a woman so rational and logic won't be high on the priority list. But hey, before you are old and wise you must first be young and reckless!

^This. Pretty much why I'm doing all this is because I believe I've found the perfect person for me. And the 2-3 years we've spoken she's proved numerous times that shes worth all this effort. I've had some pretty bad relationships, and some pretty good ones. But this one has been the best so far, even despite the distance.

Before I give a slight overview that I've gathered from you all. I just want to thank everyone who has replied to this thread. I'm not asking about a nice place to eat, or any nice sights to see. I'm asking how to make sure I never have to physically be apart from my girlfriend again. And with all the help I've gotten from here, it seems like it's more than likely to happen.

The overview I've gotten is that when I'm there on a WHV for 12 months. Me and my girlfriend should get a joint bank account. Even though we'll be living with her mother, we could probably use our bank account for a new Internet plan(?) ((They have a really bad plan, and I plan on helping them upgrade when I land to a new one)) So that means the bills for that new Internet plan will be in mine and my partners name since we'd be using our joint bank account. It would also prove we're living together in the same house for the duration of the stay. I'm also going to visit a migration office in Brisbane and ask them how I should advance. Someone also mentioned about a bridged visa. (The limitations being you're not allowed to travel freely/work/study while visa is in play) But that means you're allowed to stay in the country until your Defacto is either approved or rejected. So this is hopefully how things play out:

Working Holiday Visa > Apply for a Defacto Visa near the end of it (so we have some evidence of the relationship being genuine) > They give me (?) a bridged Visa while the Defacto is processing > When Defacto clears (someone mentioned I'm sure) about getting a Partner Visa (which does not require marriage) and then that Partner Visa is temporary for 2-3 years until it comes into review to make permanent? So that means I don't have to return to Scotland to reapply for anything?

And on a last note, as lovely as getting a 2nd WHV, it's not a likely scenario for me.

And on a last note, as lovely as getting a 2nd WHV, it's not a likely scenario for me.

You meet a girl on the internet, willing to travel half way around the world for, and you are not willing to work 88 days in a regional area even though can guarantee you get to spend another 12months with her?

You really need to re-assess this mate. You can do it over the year as well, don't need to do it all at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Yup, I'm currently doing the same thing. WHV -> bridging -> defacto-> permanent. You need to have proof of living together. A letter from her mother isn't proof. You need bills etc so if mom is open to it get both your names on the electricity bill etc. Open an account (you can pre open a NAB (National Australia Bank) online, just go in with passport when you get there, they'll email you all the stuff anyway) then once that's done open a joint account and use it etc.

Btw the defacto visa is EXPENSIVE, least that's my interpretation. $3,000ish. Save your pennies... (someone else might be able to clarify the cost but on the costs page under 'if you hold any other type of visa' 3k is the price. Now decide whether your first argument will be over you paying in full or her splitting the cost :)

You meet a girl on the internet, willing to travel half way around the world for, and you are not willing to work 88 days in a regional area even though can guarantee you get to spend another 12months with her?

You really need to re-assess this mate. You can do it over the year as well, don't need to do it all at once.
    As a last resort I would, but it appears there's other options. Like I said, I can't drive and someone here mentioned there's a place 2-3 hours away from Brisbane. So 6 hours travelling a day. Just would much rather an alternative approach, which I think is achievable now.
    Yup, I'm currently doing the same thing. WHV -> bridging -> defacto-> permanent. You need to have proof of living together. A letter from her mother isn't proof. You need bills etc so if mom is open to it get both your names on the electricity bill etc. Open an account (you can pre open a NAB (National Australia Bank) online, just go in with passport when you get there, they'll email you all the stuff anyway) then once that's done open a joint account and use it etc.

Btw the defacto visa is EXPENSIVE, least that's my interpretation. $3,000ish. Save your pennies... (someone else might be able to clarify the cost but on the costs page under 'if you hold any other type of visa' 3k is the price. Now decide whether your first argument will be over you paying in full or her splitting the cost :)
    I just spoke to them there, and we're going to pay for the gas bill when I'm back over there with our joint account. And I don't mind expenses. I have $6000+ kept away to put into my back account for when I land over there, and I'll be working for the duration of my stay. So I'll happy pay all Visa charges regardless of cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,339 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

As a last resort I would, but it appears there's other options. Like I said, I can't drive and someone here mentioned there's a place 2-3 hours away from Brisbane. So 6 hours travelling a day. Just would much rather an alternative approach, which I think is achievable now.
    You wouldn't be driving down everyday. That would be insane.
    You'd stay down there for the duration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 mishymc

In January 2013 the visa costs goes up to $4000. They usually increase the cost in July of every year also.

On a bridging visa there are travel restrictions because you need to be in the country when the partner visa is approved. The bridging visa granted once you apply does not permit re entry to australia. There is a form you can fill out if u have a trip planned to change the conditions of your bridging visa, so that it will allow re entry into Australia.

The work/study restrictions on your bridging visa will depend on what visa you were on prior to the bridging visa being granted. For you it will be a WHV, so you will have a 6 month work restriction. You can fill out form 1005 (you need to claim financial hardship) and they can lift any work/study restrictions. I applied for this and my work restrictions were lifted two days later!

The reason a lot of us are advising you do the 2nd yr WHV is so that you have enough time to build a life and actually have hard evidence of your relationship. One of the main requirements is that you live together for at least a 12 month period. You cant send your application in after your WHV visa has expired, therefore depending on when you are going to send in your application (even a week before) this won't satisfy the 12 month requirement! This along with having no lease in both of your names may work against you.
    I know of a couple who were not approved their visa because they were missing three weeks of evidence. They appealed and because the wait time had been 12 months on their application they could prove they were still together through this time and eventually got approved, but it stress that you don't need if you are fully prepared!

4k???!!! Jesus... Must repeat to myself that the GF is worth it :P

yeah, mine cost about $ 3k total when the application cost, federal police checks, medicals, getting garda references and stuff sent over, registered post, photocopying and phonecalls were all factored in.

And nearly 18 nail biting months ! (which required me to get a 2nd federal police check done as they are only valid for 1 year)

Personally I had no idea the work restriction could be lifted on the bridging visa. That has brought me a BIG sigh of relief. Had already resigned myself to a year of 6 month contracts or temp work. Still, 4k.... that's so much vodka :(

mishymc wrote: »
    In January 2013 the visa costs goes up to $4000. They usually increase the cost in July of every year also.

On a bridging visa there are travel restrictions because you need to be in the country when the partner visa is approved. The bridging visa granted once you apply does not permit re entry to australia. There is a form you can fill out if u have a trip planned to change the conditions of your bridging visa, so that it will allow re entry into Australia.

The work/study restrictions on your bridging visa will depend on what visa you were on prior to the bridging visa being granted. For you it will be a WHV, so you will have a 6 month work restriction. You can fill out form 1005 (you need to claim financial hardship) and they can lift any work/study restrictions. I applied for this and my work restrictions were lifted two days later!

The reason a lot of us are advising you do the 2nd yr WHV is so that you have enough time to build a life and actually have hard evidence of your relationship. One of the main requirements is that you live together for at least a 12 month period. You cant send your application in after your WHV visa has expired, therefore depending on when you are going to send in your application (even a week before) this won't satisfy the 12 month requirement! This along with having no lease in both of your names may work against you.
    I know of a couple who were not approved their visa because they were missing three weeks of evidence. They appealed and because the wait time had been 12 months on their application they could prove they were still together through this time and eventually got approved, but it stress that you don't need if you are fully prepared!

$4k is fine to pay for it, plus anything else (medicals and checks and what not). I'm going to the Brisbane immigration office in the first week or so of landing to get information/advice on what they think I should do. And how did the couple you know appeal, and how long did it take for the appeal to be finalized? So in a hypothetical scenario:
    I spend the 1 year WHV time living with my gf. Having evidence of living together in that time, but because I apply for De-facto just before it expires (to get bridging Visa), I don't have the full 12 months living together on the clock, but because it takes 12 months for the application to process, by the time they reject it, we'll of had another 12 months together in which we still have hard evidence of the relationship so we can appeal for it? I'm very good at saving money, and will have plenty of money saved by the end of the first year WHV. So if I can lift the work restrictions on it, I'll work during the bridging Visa also, so that means I'll still be able to pay for something like the gas bill (for evidence) and what not. I know everyone here strongly suggests a 2nd WHV. But if the former plan works, I'd rather do that. As a last resort we can live with her father in NSW and I can do regional work there perhaps. But like I said, would much rather the former method.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

I hope this works out for you and everything, but please, make sure you have a backup plan for when it all goes to custard.

Shzm wrote: »
    I hope this works out for you and everything, but please, make sure you have a backup plan for when it all goes to custard.

If it fails indefinitely then we'll just live in Scotland. Even though it's harder to move to Australia, I'd much rather move to her than vice versa. Although I hope you meant to type "if" rather than "for when", hah.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Well, I was actually referring to the relationship part of your plan. The visa side of things generally follow a strict process and have guidelines etc in place, so you know what to expect.
    The other part of your plan you seem to be relying heavily on her and her mum for support, which is all well and good - however could leave you in a pickle if things don't end up the way you're planning. If thing's don't work out between the two of you, then you're going to end up with no accommodation, and probably no work. I'd just say to make sure you always have enough cash saved for a few days in a hotel, and flights back home should you need it.

Shzm wrote: »
    Well, I was actually referring to the relationship part of your plan. The visa side of things generally follow a strict process and have guidelines etc in place, so you know what to expect.
    The other part of your plan you seem to be relying heavily on her and her mum for support, which is all well and good - however could leave you in a pickle if things don't end up the way you're planning. If thing's don't work out between the two of you, then you're going to end up with no accommodation, and probably no work. I'd just say to make sure you always have enough cash saved for a few days in a hotel, and flights back home should you need it.

I'll have enough for a few nights in a hotel and a flight home is that scenario ever happened. Although it looks very unlikely to happen. But always nice to plan every scenario.

• Advertisement

Well, I've came to my senses. Regional work it is. I'm going to just work normally for a few months while looking for a regional job, but I'll join up with "wwoof" so my chances of finding a place with accommodation are better (since I won't be paid). I'll do the three months straight through, then get the documents I need for the 2nd WHV. Since the 2nd WHV is a sure thing with the 3 months, rather than chancing the other plan of appealing the Defacto after one year.

So, regional work with the "wwoof" group near Brisbane sounds like a better plan? And I thank you all for any and all information you've gave me on Australia.

Advertisement