Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wall Mounted Dip Bars

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Could use gym rings hung from a pullup bar?

OFF topic, aren't they Perpendicular (90°) all the way out from the wall? Parallel
    with each other? Dip bars should widen as they go IMO

Dip%20Bars%20-%20Web.jpg

Gorilla could make you a set for whatever way you want them. Rack attachment, Wall to floor, wall only etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭street

squod wrote: »
    Could use gym rings hung from a pullup bar?

Good idea but I think I'll stick with bars for the moment ; )
    OFF topic, aren't they Perpendicular (90°) all the way out from the wall? Parallel
    with each other? Dip bars should widen as they go IMO

I'm mostly interested in working my triceps so close grip width using parallel bars should do me. That said, it would be nice to have a bit of both for chest dip purposes.
    Gorilla could make you a set for whatever way you want them. Rack attachment, Wall to floor, wall only etc.....

Thanks squod I'll check this out

street wrote: »

I'm mostly interested in working my triceps so close grip width using parallel bars should do me. That said, it would be nice to have a bit of both for chest dip purposes.

Kitchen chairs are what I used to use. Always found it awkward to have them parallel. Dunno if there's a sense in this statement or not but I have torn my rotator cuff using parallel dip bars, never had a bother with the ones that widen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I had a dodgy shoulder for a while, possibly rotator cuff. I could not do PB dips for a good while, but I could manage a few on a V shaped right angled bar (a hand railing).

I do like the angle and before I got the injure I could lash out way more dips on the right angled bars.

More recently I found a new method, get 2 strong bars, like barbells, and have a support in front and behind you. My supports are 2 tables. I rest the bars on the table and dip, you might want a towel on the tables to stop the bars rolling.

This also allows you to have the bars at a tilt which is interesting, i.e. the table in front can be higher/lower than the one behind. It gives you total control over the bar spacing and angles.

They still are a bit unstable so I was thinking of having something to hold the bars together front & back. Its a good rock solid feel to it, I hate doing dips or chins on flimsy feeling devices.

I also made my own free standing V shaped dip bars ages ago. It was a table being thrown out with metal legs

small-table-frame1.jpgIf you had a table frame like this you could just stand in the middle and do dips with bent legs. Mine was a little different and tucked into the corner of a room, its more like that table minus one of the legs and the cross bars on that leg.

Kitchen chairs are what I used to use. Always found it awkward to have them parallel. Dunno if there's a sense in this statement or not but I have torn my rotator cuff using parallel dip bars, never had a bother with the ones that widen.

Well as far as I know its the wider than shoulder width and ultra wide positions (in any exercise) that can cause joint problems/injuries. I prefer to stay neutral. Also, I would have thought an angled bar/grip handle is more of a bad idea than a good one. I'm still quite new to weight lifting though and am not a doctor so maybe someone else could shed more light.

• Advertisement

street wrote: »
    Well as far as I know its the wider than shoulder width and ultra wide positions (in any exercise) that can cause joint problems/injuries. I prefer to stay neutral. Also, I would have thought an angled bar/grip handle is more of a bad idea than a good one. I'm still quite new to weight lifting though and am not a doctor so maybe someone else could shed more light.

You're very likely correct. I'm just old. I can't manage any kind of parallel dipping anymore. That could be down to an imbalance or mobility issue.

You're very likely correct. I'm just old. I can't manage any kind of parallel dipping anymore. That could be down to an imbalance or mobility issue.

I've been working through a shoulder injury for the last few months, which I'm pretty sure was the result of doing wide pullups and pushups. I was grand for ages doing these exercises but then, one day.. shoulder/upper arm problem. And my form is decent and i do slow reps.. These things can happen over time, i think. Anyway, for that reason i'm staying neutral, at least until my shoulder is better.

Advertisement