Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veg Soup - Too Sweet

Options
  • 17-12-2012 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi, I have tried various recipes for vegetable soup, and found this from Kevin Dundon to be one of the better ones
    http://supervalu.ie/recipe/hearty-vegetable-soup/

However it is perhaps a little too sweet, how would I counteract this? I would imagine sweet potatoes, squash and carrots are all contributing to the sweetness.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Those veg are all high in sugars (for veg). Sweetness would be the dominant flavour, not surprisingly.

The parsley and the sourcream/ creme fraiche should counteract that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Hoe about adding some chilli? Won't counteract but will cut through the sweetness

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'd find this wayyy too sweet, sickeningly so. This is a very high sugar soup.

If you don't like sweet flavours I would get rid of the butternut squash altogether and replace the sweet potato with an ordinary potato. Then you'll still get a hint of sweetness from the remaining carrots but without that clawing sugariness that would have come from the other veg.

I'd also probably add an extra onion and more garlic but I like strong flavours so that's a personal thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Red Rua

Thanks, yeah I think I definitely will replace the sweet potato with an ordinary one

Advertisement