Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parking problems

Options
  • 17-12-2012 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Living in a new estate. Some people are parking directly in front of the entrance to our house making it a pain to get and get out. We can get in and get out but it is just a pain. Are there any legal rules about where you are allowed and not allowed park in an estate?

Is there a grey area between blocking someone so it is impossible to get out and just awkard to get out?

There is no management company. So technically it is a public road.

Rgds

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you can get in and out then there's no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

If you can get in and out then there's no problem.

Even if you have to do a 3 point turn when you should not need to? Or even if you can only get in if you have a small car? And even if you can get out but the way they are parking they are blocking your view?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

it's just unfortunate. Blocking is one thing but it just being difficult is another I'm afraid. Consider expanding your driveway entrance (requires planning permission etc...) That what people have done around me and I intend to do eventually.

I leave notes on people's cars. It's usually people rushing to a local shop near me that park for "just 2 mins" that block. Annoying all the same because it never seems to be "just 2 mins".

cookie1977 wrote: »
    it's just unfortunate. Blocking is one thing but it just being difficult is another I'm afraid. Consider expanding your driveway entrance (requires planning permission etc...) That what people have done around me and I intend to do eventually.

I leave notes on people's cars. It's usually people rushing to a local shop near me that park for "just 2 mins" that block. Annoying all the same because it never seems to be "just 2 mins".
    Entrance can't be expanded. Can a car legally park opposite this? I can get in and out with a lot of hassle. I thought you were not allowed park opposite an entrance?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I thought you were not allowed park opposite an entrance?
    Only with the occupiers permission.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

Victor wrote: »
    Only with the occupiers permission.
    I dont think that's true Victor. OP is not talking about someone parking across their drive/entrance, rather someone parking on the other side of the road in what sounds like a narrow road. But still allowing access to OPs drive.

I really don't think you have any recourse here, bar the friendly word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cabbage crotch

There's not a terrible amount you can do about this if you can still get in/out. We've had the problem almost everywhere we've lived and even with neighbours who parked flat across our driveway (requiring us to knock at their door to move when we wanted to go to work in the mornings) it's a difficult thing to resolve amicably.

There's not a terrible amount you can do about this if you can still get in/out. We've had the problem almost everywhere we've lived and even with neighbours who parked flat across our driveway (requiring us to knock at their door to move when we wanted to go to work in the mornings) it's a difficult thing to resolve amicably.

But if I drove a bigger car, it would be impossible to get in or out. Or if someone parks a certain way in our driveway it is impossible to get in or out.

I can't believe there is not some guideline to this. Typical Ireland. Make everything up as you go along and then let neighbours just fight and get stressed about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The guideline is simply the rules of the road, and local bye-laws: it's a traffic problem, not an accommodation one.

Lobby the local council for double-yellows on parts of the street that are too narrow for parking.

The guideline is simply the rules of the road, and local bye-laws: it's a traffic problem, not an accommodation one.

Lobby the local council for double-yellows on parts of the street that are too narrow for parking.

The road would look awful with double yellow lines. It is a cul de sac with a bunch of houses squeezed in on top of each other. But there seem to be no rules where you can and can't park.

If the road was wider it would not be a problem. So it comes down to the width of the road. Which means it is subjective. One neighbour can say not wide enough and another neighbour can say that's wide enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I have the same problem where we live. People park opposite, then walk to dart station. I don't have a solution.
    I tried parking in "their" spot with my car for a period of time, but a different person fill the spot when I went back to parking in my drive. It's really annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 208 ✭✭daver123

I think the guards can get a car lifted if there is not enough room for a fire engine to get by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

The road would look awful with double yellow lines. It is a cul de sac with a bunch of houses squeezed in on top of each other. But there seem to be no rules where you can and can't park.

If the road was wider it would not be a problem. So it comes down to the width of the road. Which means it is subjective. One neighbour can say not wide enough and another neighbour can say that's wide enough.

This made me LOL and think of Hyacinth Bucket. How are people supposed to know where they can or cant park on a public road without double yellow lines? If its only locals parking there perhaps they know the size of car you drive and that's why they park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Who cares how the road would look? Double yellow lines sort the problem and sound like they are exactly what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

The council are not going to put double yellows in a private housing estate, and the Gardai are certainly not going to police it.

Whats your green spaces like? In an estate I know they got the council to cut some parking spots into it, but they had ample green space.

It's a recurring problem in new estates where there is only 1.5 spots allocated per house.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

The council are not going to put double yellows in a private housing estate, and the Gardai are certainly not going to police it.

There are some estates in my area that have double yellow lines. No idea whether they were put there by the council though and I have no idea how well it is policed.

Whats your green spaces like? In an estate I know they got the council to cut some parking spots into it, but they had ample green space.

It's a recurring problem in new estates where there is only 1.5 spots allocated per house.

There is ample parking down the other end of the road. But Irish people like to park close to their house. The thing is, before you go off arguing with your neighbour about where they can and where they can't park. You need to look at it from their perspective.

They might think they have a right to park outside their house and they can legally park there and the 7 point turn is your problem not their's. As soon as they park outside their house that's what happens due to the layout of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 cabbage crotch

But if I drove a bigger car, it would be impossible to get in or out. Or if someone parks a certain way in our driveway it is impossible to get in or out.

Believe me I have been driven near insane from this kind of thing so I feel your anger about it, but there's really not a terrible amount that can be done because parking is a very emotive issue! The depths of pettiness people will descend into over parking are mindblowing, and I know plenty of people who don't speak to their neighbours at all solely because of parking rows. The solution? I don't have one, but I would just say try not to let it bother you (easier said than done I know).

Oh ffs. Next thing you'll be whining about the colour of their cars! :rolleyes:

You've said it yourself, it's a public road. Double-yellows are the mechanism that the council (legal authority for establishing parking regulations) must use to communicate "no parking" in this country.

If you want that mechanism changed to something prettier, then lobby your TD to have the colour or shape of them changed (dotted pink-and-purple, perhaps?).

In the meantime, either get over it, or work within the law as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Or push for pay and display parking

• Advertisement

You're right, people do go a bit OTT over this. It would make more sense for roads and footpaths to be a certain width to prevent these problems.

But we have planners who do not care that they create these problems and law makers who are not aware of them because they leave in big houses.

You're right, people do go a bit OTT over this. It would make more sense for roads and footpaths to be a certain width to prevent these problems.

But we have planners who do not care that they create these problems and law makers who are not aware of them because they leave in big houses.

You vote in the law makers - vote for the one who is tough on parking and tough on the causes of parking.

You vote in the law makers - vote for the one who is tough on parking and tough on the causes of parking.

I think the problem is with the planners. They do "degrees" for this sort of thing and should realise that when you make roads narrow and cramp houses and people need cars you get these problems.

I think the problem is with the planners. They do "degrees" for this sort of thing and should realise that when you make roads narrow and cramp houses and people need cars you get these problems.

Ah don't be blaming the planners now. Its always the accountants and senior management. It always comes down to making as much money as possible. To be fair you chose to live there.

I'd borrow a mates jeep for a few days and come barrelling in and out. :D

Not to mention the elected councillors who over-rule the planners recommendations ...

And I must question the assumption that "people need cars". Lots of people don't have them, or cannot drive, or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Facilitating cars just creates more demand for space. I was told of one terraced house in the centre of town, with four adults - all drivers with their own cars -
    with seven cars between them

Not to mention the elected councillors who over-rule the planners recommendations ...

And I must question the assumption that "people need cars". Lots of people don't have them, or cannot drive, or whatever.
    It depends where you live. I avoided buying a car for as long as I could and cycled everywhere but where I currently am it is impossible unfortunately.
    Planners are not passive agents. They reject permissions and apply conditions to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

It's reasonable to assume that a house will have 2 cars if it's say, a 3 bed semi-detached house in a young area...

So if an application comes in allocating 1-1.5 spaces per house with narrow in a new development of family homes? The developer should be told to cop on and sent packing until he comes back with something reasonable.

Most people who do not live in a city centre and live with a family house have 2 cars or more. Can't actually think of any I know who don't.

Most people who do not live in a city centre and live with a family house have 2 cars or more. Can't actually think of any I know who don't.

I can think of quite a few. Some cannot afford to run any cars at all (live in an estate with a decent bus-service, and you don't need one). Some choose to run one family car only. Oh - and a couple aren't actually allowed to drive even if they want to, for medical reasons.

And that's without even thinking about likely oil prices over the next 50 years.

Planners are not passive agents. They reject permissions and apply conditions to them.

Maybe it depends where you live. Where I live, planners recommend, councillors decide - sometimes contrary to the planner's recommdndations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭clevtrev

why don't you park your car on the road when its free and leave the spot outside your house free for visitors / turning your car. This at least will reduce the impact and pass on a message to your neighbours that parking there is an irritation

Advertisement