Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debit card in america advice

Options
  • 17-12-2012 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭

Heading away to new york on the 28th for 8 days,

Have some us Dollars got but will probably use my debit card a good bit for eating/shopping, Anybody have any good advice for using my debit card over there and is it a good idea to alert my bank that ill be using my card in america heavily for a few days. I'm with ulster bank also.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Ulster Bank, you don't need to alert them.

I'd use it for paying, mostly as the charges are lower for that than using ATMs. If you are withdrawing cash, I tend to use it for larger amounts less frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

you should let them know that ur gonna be out of the country and dates. if they see usage in USA they might put a block on the card. let ur branch know who will contact their visa dept and you're set.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Ulster Bank, you don't need to alert them.

I'd use it for paying, mostly as the charges are lower for that than using ATMs. If you are withdrawing cash, I tend to use it for larger amounts less frequently.
    Mind me asking what price of the charges?
    greenman09 wrote: »
    you should let them know that ur gonna be out of the country and dates. if they see usage in USA they might put a block on the card. let ur branch know who will contact their visa dept and you're set.

Will let them know so,Last thing i want out there is to ring them up with this problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Advertisement