Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vicious Dog! Help!

• 17-12-2012 5:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

We have the loveliest little dog. He's great around kids and so friendly. But when there is a man at the house that he doesn't recognize, he goes mad! He growls and barks and it's very frightening for the poor visitor! Of course he's great for security purposes, but it's not fair on the postman, meter man or other number of visitors that come to the house. It's strange because he's only this way towards men! Not women or children!

Does anyone how we can train him to stop doing this?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'm not a dog person but from what I remember there are two routes which can also be combined partly.

1) Make sure the dog is distracted and looking at you and slowly get it used to men benig around
    2) Have men throw treats to the dog with out actually engaging the dog (i.e. have a few people walk by as you walk him and throw a treat) to change his association of it

Obviously in both cases if he starts to bark etc. he gets no treat as it's all about changing his world view on strange men. In the end it comes down to that he feels the need to protect his family (i.e. being winded up and stressed as the rest of the family is not reacting) and to get him to realize he can step down from the duty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Our Vizla does the same, she seems to have begun the behaviour since being spayed. Now we are trying to train the postman :) to not try to engage her, or make eye contact or touch. just to stand his ground and be calm, then we hold her by the collar and tell her a firm no while he moves back and forth from the van.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Get a good behaviourist in, that's my advice. Let us know where you are and someone can recommend one.

Advertisement