Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Ingredient of the Week 16: Hot Toddy & Winter Warmer Drinks

Options
  • 17-12-2012 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭

Not so much an ingredient, but more of a seasonal theme. This week we are looking for your Hot Toddy & Winter Warmer Drinks - whether they get the chill out of your bones after a bracing winter walk, or a wee something to spice up an evening in front of the fire.

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Danish gløgg (mulled wine) is simply fantastic.

Soak a cup of raisins in half a cup of akvavit (which Danes call "snaps") if you can get it; failing that, use rum, or even vodka. You can also add some orange liqueur such as Cointreau or Grand Marnier. Leave to soak for a few hours or overnight. Toast half a cup of flaked almonds in a dry pan and set aside.

Take two cups of port with a the juice of two oranges and half a cup of orange liqueur, add 1/3 - 1/2 cup of brown sugar to taste, the zest of the oranges, a dozen cloves and two cinnamon sticks. (Throw in a star anise if you're feeling adventurous.) Put them in a big pan, bring to the boil, turn down to a simmer and leave uncovered to reduce for 15 minutes or so.

Add two bottles of red wine and warm it up with the lid on, but don't let it boil. Mix the almonds with the raisins, put a generous teaspoon of the mixture in a mug, and strain the hot gløgg into the mug. Serve with a teaspoon in the mug so you can eat the raisins and almonds while you drink. :)

This is traditionally served with æbleskiver, which are like tiny spherical pancakes, and come with icing sugar and blackberry jam. But that's another story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I hope someone posts a good recipe for Mulled Wine, we were in Budapest last week, and the mulled wine at the Xmas Markets there was delicious.

The stuff from Aldi/Lidl isn't the best.

My recipe for a hot whiskey is pretty simple.

A shot of some Irish whiskey, Jemmy, Powers etc.

Stud a half slice of lemon with six or seven cloves, and place in the glass with some sugar and then pour the whiskey over

Stick a spoon in the glass to prevent is from cracking when you add the hot water.

Add hot water to desired level, then stir to dissolve the sugar.

Allow to cool, and the lemon and clove flavour to infuse their flavours.

Drink.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Any good egg nog recipes ?

I hope someone posts a good recipe for Mulled Wine...
    I just did, but I realise I forgot to make that clear. :)Gløgg is Danish mulled wine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Danish gløgg (mulled wine) is simply fantastic.
    I was in Copenhagen last week and savoured this for the first time in the various Christmas markets. I wondered why I was given a spoon with it, but soon discovered why when I got to the bottom of the cup :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Honeyed vodka or krupnik, served hot or cold, is a favorite among Poles. And, since it's steeped in aromatic spices, less than top-shelf vodka will do just fine. Krupnik is the only alcoholic beverage served at the solemn wigilia or Christmas Eve dinner. No matter what temperature it's served at, krupnik warms the body from the inside out. Perfect for the holidays!

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons cold water
    2 cups sugar
    4 cups boiling water
    1/4 vanilla bean, split
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    2 whole cloves
    1 small cinnamon stick, cracked in half
    10 black peppercorns
    20 allspice berries
    1 1/3 cups honey
    Zest from 1 orange
    2 cups vodka
    Preparation:

In a large saucepan, combine cold water and sugar and heat until it dissolves. Add boiling water, vanilla bean, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon stick, peppercorns and allspice. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer 5 minutes.

Strain the simple syrup you've just created through cheesecloth or a coffee filter and return to the saucepan. Add the honey and zest, and heat, stirring, until the honey has completely dissolved. Bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat.

Gradually stir in vodka. Serve hot. If serving, cold, let honeyed vodka come to room temperature, transfer to a lidded jar and refrigerate, covered, until ready to serve.

Alun wrote: »
    I was in Copenhagen last week and savoured this for the first time in the various Christmas markets. I wondered why I was given a spoon with it, but soon discovered why when I got to the bottom of the cup :)
    Did you have æbleskiver as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I hope someone posts a good recipe for Mulled Wine, we were in Budapest last week, and the mulled wine at the Xmas Markets there was delicious.

I hate to tell you, but after visiting many markets around Europe over the past 20 years, most of the mulled wine sold is not from 'Granny's 60yo super-sekrit recipe', but from a bottle like they sell in Lidl or Aldi with perhaps an added bit of spice/juice/alcohol to make a bit of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

:)

Try the Mulling Syrup from the "make your own pressies" thread, it's lovely!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Rum
    Hot Chocolate
    Half a teaspoon of sugar
    Layer cream on top Irish coffee style.

Hot Whiskey the same as above but with Honey instead of sugar.

• Advertisement

Did you have æbleskiver as well?
    Of course :P

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Rum and Brandy toddy

225g sugar
    2 large lemons rind of in strips and juiced
    600ml rum
    600ml brandy
    1 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
    1 litre water

put water,sugar, lemon rind and juice over med heat and stir till sugar dissolves
    add brandy, rum and nutmeg, heat with out boiling, serves about 8-10

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

watched this last night, looked really good

http://hobbshousebakery.co.uk/recipes/detail/spicy-mulled-cider

Mmm, mulled cider is gorgeous.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Rich hot chocolate with a dash of amaretto. Yer only man,.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mmm, mulled cider is gorgeous.
    It'd have to be a proper cider like this or this

I've never tried Mulled Cider but with a decent cider I'd say it tastes amazing.

Tree wrote: »
    Hmmm, sounds interesting (and quite delicious). I love an Amaretto Sour cocktail, so I'm definitely gonna try this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Jamie Oliver's hot chocolate is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,418 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Stick a spoon in the glass to prevent is from cracking when you add the hot water.

I do this too. And I tell people its for the same reason. And most people I know who make them often do it also.

But, I've seen lots of people not do it, or forget. And I never seen a glass crack. I wonder how much truth there is to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

I've cracked a glass before :)

It was when I was a barman, and the water came out of one of those hot water machines.

In all probability, the glass was weak too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Mellor wrote: »
    I do this too. And I tell people its for the same reason. And most people I know who make them often do it also.

But, I've seen lots of people not do it, or forget. And I never seen a glass crack. I wonder how much truth there is to it.

Glasses have a certain amount of 'give' in them with regards to expanding and contracting at different temps. They also deteriorate over time, anyone who has worked in a pub can tell you the story of an old glass almost disintegrate in their hand or the bottom of a hot whiskey glass drop out when you added hot water. The glasses in bars get bumped around alot, your glasses at home don't so are less likely to break. Its a good idea to use the spoon to absorb some of the heat, especially if your using wine glasses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

I cracked a kilner bottle over the weekend by pouring hot water in. Thought I'd be grand!

If you make your own sloe gin, as I do, then when you bottle it don't throw out the berries, but use them to make 'slider', which is just cider, preferentially still, with the berries soaked in it for a week or so. Served warm it's great, and the alcohol in the berries leaches out making it stronger. Alternatively, first make 'shlerry' by soaking the berries in sherry, and then use the resulting berries to make 'shlider' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Tree wrote: »

I was going to say exactly the same :D

In that case, I've just finished making arancello from the christmas prezzies thread in the cooking forum. Its a spiced orange vodka drink :)

Put 1l vodka in a jar and add cinamon stick, star anise, 3 cardomon seeds and zest of 5 oranges.
    Leave a week
    Add 500mls sugar disolved in 500mls water.
    Leave another week.
    Strain and pour into sterilized bottles.
    Add in 1 stick cinamon and some grated orange zest for decoration.

Can't remember who posted this originally in the thread - but credit where its due - its delish

Advertisement