Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

One week soccer ban

Options
  • 17-12-2012 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭

Talked to the mod who said no

Anyway. don't expect this to be resolved in a week
    RasTa wrote:
    Don't be posting that crap in here. That article is also over 2 years old
    RasTa wrote: »
    aVZgT.gif

This is a great read lately

Those are my two crimes. I didn't know we weren't allowed to post those gifs anymore however mod said I was baiting when I wasn't. Good debating going on between the two mindset of fans.

I'll accept the first one but no way was I baiting in the second

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK, I'll take a look at this

You say you accept the first warning. As I'm sure you already know (particularly as it was pointed out to you in the first warning notice), a second yellow results in a automatic 1 week ban under the forum charter

Hence if the second card was warranted, the ban will be upheld.

I just need to have a look at the thread to understand the context and will post back here once I have done so.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Right, the situation as I see it is you are clearly a Man Utd fan (based on your posting history) and you are clearly known as a Man Utd fan by a lot of the Liverpool fans who post in the forum

As you are fully aware, Liverpool suffered a poor result over the weekend, and clearly a lot of posters, in particular Liverpool fans, had been discussing this in the dedicated Liverpool Team Talk/Rumours thread. As you also know the biggest rivalry in English soccer is between Liverpool and Man Utd fans.

You then posted the gif you have quoted in the OP above, stating "this is a great read lately"

It's clear to me that this post was made as message to Liverpool fans that you were enjoying the anguish they may be going through given Saturday's result in particular. That post is aimed at getting a reaction - ie it was trolling.

The Soccer Forum even has a specific rule covering the use of gifs in this situation:
    Gifs that only serve a purpose to inflame or drag a thread off topic or otherwise do not contribute to a thread will be removed, if it is considered that the only purpose of that gif was to further inflame an argument, then the poster may receive a warning for it. (ie Michael Jackson/Popcorn gif/pictures)

So this seems to me a pretty clear yellow card offence, as laid down in the charter. There can be no purpose of posting that gif and related message but to wind up Liverpool fans. Hence I can see no basis for overturing that yellow, and the 1 week ban follows automatically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Why does it matter who I follow? When did that aspect come into play in the SF. Did you read my posts after?

For example if I didn't post a gif would I have received a one week ban for my comment alone.

If I followed Liverpool would I be getting a yellow card? Very strange

So why did you post that gif and related message?

If you were a Liverpool fan you would hardly be trying to wind-up fellow Liverpool fans - maybe you would have got away with simple deletion - that's a local mod discretion issue. Here's another relevant quote from the rules on club-specific superthreads:
    Respect the thread subject, respect the supporters - You are posting on a thread where the majority of people who read the thread support the team or follow the league. If you post something inflammatory, you will be held accountable.

As everyone with even a remote knowledge of soccer knows, and I've already pointed out above, Liverpool/Man Utd is the biggest rivalry in the English game. I presume you accept that?

Beasty wrote: »
    So why did you post that gif and related message?

If you were a Liverpool fan you would hardly be trying to wind-up fellow Liverpool fans - maybe you would have got away with simple deletion - that's a local mod discretion issue. Here's another relevant quote from the rules on club-specific superthreads:

As everyone with even a remote knowledge of soccer knows, and I've already pointed out above, Liverpool/Man Utd is the biggest rivalry in the English game. I presume you accept that?

Simple because I just read 200 posts from one set of fans wanting the manager sacked(debatable) and the other defending him or asking for more time. Both sets with coherent and valid points for each line of reasoning, I pointed this out and because I follow United I'm banned.

• Advertisement

You may ask for an Admin to revew this should you wish

Beasty wrote: »
    You may ask for an Admin to revew this should you wish

Is there any point since you are still standing by the decision?

RasTa wrote: »
    Is there any point since you are still standing by the decision?
    Admins are the ultimate arbiter on appeals. I have upheld the ban on the basis it is in accordance with the forum rules. If you believe this not to be the case and want someone else to look at it, then the only other port of call is an Admin

It's up to you - you can accept the decision and move on, or ask an Admin to review it

Well considering I think I didn't post anything inflammatory as you mentioned from the charter then yes please

No problem

Could an Admin please review this

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I've read over the thread / posts in question.

A yellow for the popcorn post is harsh, but consistent with the forum charter.

As the second yellow, the week long ban follows ... again, this is harsh but consistent.

What exactly were you trying to achieve by posting the popcorn pic?

trout wrote: »
    I've read over the thread / posts in question.

A yellow for the popcorn post is harsh, but consistent with the forum charter.

As the second yellow, the week long ban follows ... again, this is harsh but consistent.

What exactly were you trying to achieve by posting the popcorn pic?

Nothing. There was no motive involved which is why I'm appealing, surely if you think it's harsh you can overturn it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

Well, I said harsh but consistent. What I'm interested in here is have you been treated fairly or not. I think you have been treated fairly ... in the context of the soccer forum.

Be it willful or not, your popcorn post breached the charter, and the mod action taken is consistent with the soccer forum charter.

It's not marginal, there's not much room for discretion, and your previous interactions on the soccer forum tell a tale ... I'm not seeing any reason to take an action here.

Think, tales and willful? Ok then...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement