Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mrs Robinsons - New Restaurant?

Options
  • 17-12-2012 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has taken a trip in yet?

I had a look at the menu, which seems good, very dfiiferent for Greystones.. which is good ;).. and had a look through the windows and im kinda thrown... is it a restuarant / or it a pub with grub?

Menu suggest Pub with retro grub but the decor and wine glasses everywhere suggest restaurant?

anyone?

:p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

They've posted the menu on their new Facebook page - I haven't been in yet but looking at the brunch menu, I hope they do really well, it looks really good.

www.facebook.com/MrsRobinsonKitchen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Cheers for that :D

I hope they do well too, Mrs Robinsons is the only pub in Greystones with a bit of life and soul about the place....

With a bit of luck this new venture will do well :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Are those prices for real? Am I the only one short of cash around here that could not imagine paying those prices? Even if I had it I wouldn't pay it.

Greystones is in some kind of vortex and I am for sure not in it.

Good luck and all but there is no way I will be visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Are those prices for real? Am I the only one short of cash around here that could not imagine paying those prices? Even if I had it I wouldn't pay it.

Greystones is in some kind of vortex and I am for sure not in it.

Good luck and all but there is no way I will be visiting.

some items are a bit steep but in general i still think it's worth a look to see if it's worth it,it would be hard to drag me from the Hungry Monk's fish and chips unless the one in Mrs.R's is top notch.
    I don't understand why you say that you wouldn't pay the prices even if you had the cash keeping in mind the fact you have yet to taste the food:confused:

some items are a bit steep but in general i still think it's worth a look to see if it's worth it,it would be hard to drag me from the Hungry Monk's fish and chips unless the one in Mrs.R's is top notch.
    I don't understand why you say that you wouldn't pay the prices even if you had the cash keeping in mind the fact you have yet to taste the food:confused:

I think the prices are ridiculously high! I actually find it farcical they have the front to even charge it. That is why. Is anyone paying that kind of money these days? What happened to passing on a bit of value. Pretentious ****e in my opinion. And I was quite excited when I saw this topic title because I foolishly thought a decent priced eaterie was opening. It is so over priced it is, almost. laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭AJAYC

Mrs.Robinson(Greystones) can cook, if only Dustin Hoffman knew all those years ago. Great to have another place to eat in town. Main course was good & the atmosphere as with the bar is very relaxed in nice surroundings, however, the single most important element for me, dessert, was a 3 out of 10! I agree with all other posters, prices are too high.

I think the prices are ridiculously high! I actually find it farcical they have the front to even charge it. That is why. Is anyone paying that kind of money these days? What happened to passing on a bit of value. Pretentious ****e in my opinion. And I was quite excited when I saw this topic title because I foolishly thought a decent priced eaterie was opening. It is so over priced it is, almost. laughable.

i think you're reacting a bit strong,it's not laughable at all imo,it's a bit dear,that's it.
    Few examples of main's....Pork Belly/Fish and chips €16,9oz rib eye €20,yes i am paying that kind of money these days to answer your Q above and if the food is good i am happy to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

i think you're reacting a bit strong,it's not laughable at all imo,it's a bit dear,that's it.
    Few examples of main's....Pork Belly/Fish and chips €16,9oz rib eye €20,yes i am paying that kind of money these days to answer your Q above and if the food is good i am happy to do so.

I have to agree with BobWilliams. The comments re. prices are over-the-top. Yes, it's not cheap, and could be a euro or two less, but it's not super-expensive by any stretch. I'll be trying it out.

I don't agree. To open a new restaurant when the country is on it's knees and to charge those kind of prices for fish and chips is ridiculous. To charge those prices for side orders??? Madness. Fair play Bob Williams if you can afford it and if you are willing to pay it. I think it is crazy when I can go into Dublin and get a deal for half that price. If I was to go out for dinner I'd be on the dart rather that pay this nonsense.

darter wrote: »
    I have to agree with BobWilliams. The comments re. prices are over-the-top. Yes, it's not cheap, and could be a euro or two less, but it's not super-expensive by any stretch. I'll be trying it out.

Do any of you travel abroad and see how exorbitant these prices are in comparison? It's nuts. We are not in the centre of a capital city. Clearly the market is there. I'll shut up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

There are probably quite a few like myself that won't worry too much re a euro or 4 over priced. Not because we are rich but simply because many of us eat out so infrequently that paying a little more doesn't matter.

That is once the food is of a high standard and the service / atmosphere is good. I really won't mind paying a little more.

Getting on darts and buses to go towards town is a pain. Especially on a weekend evening when there is, let's just say quite a mix of people using public transport.

I don't agree. To open a new restaurant when the country is on it's knees and to charge those kind of prices for fish and chips is ridiculous. To charge those prices for side orders??? Madness. Fair play Bob Williams if you can afford it and if you are willing to pay it. I think it is crazy when I can go into Dublin and get a deal for half that price. If I was to go out for dinner I'd be on the dart rather that pay this nonsense.
    I think sides are 3 fiddy......you think that's expensive????Come on.

FirstIn wrote: »
    There are probably quite a few like myself that won't worry too much re a euro or 4 over priced. Not because we are rich but simply because many of us eat out so infrequently that paying a little more doesn't matter.

That is once the food is of a high standard and the service / atmosphere is good. I really won't mind paying a little more.

Getting on darts and buses to go towards town is a pain. Especially on a weekend evening when there is, let's just say quite a mix of people using public transport.
    I agree,some of my mates slag me as I do dine out a lot,thing is I drink feck all and that,for me anyway,is the difference.
    The same mates would go out on a Saturday avo with no less than 100 euro in their phocha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Ok, here's the cost of a typical fish and chips dish from each of the main restaurants to give us an idea of where they're priced:

Three Q's - Fish & chips, fresh Haddock with home cut fries & homemade tartare sauce - €17.95
    Mrs Robinson's Kitchen - Ale Battered Fish & Chips - €16.00
    Hungry Monk - Fillet of Fresh Atlantic Wild Cod - €18.00
    Joker's - Cod and chips - €7.80

Twice the cost of a chipper but still cheaper than the Monk Bistro and Three Q's - the price seems right IF the fish is of similar type/quality. And if the quality is good, they should steal some clientèle from the others (not Jokers obviously).

I'm a tad surprised at the €16 Ravioli pasta dish though - it must be some damn expensive goat's cheese they put in it.

I will give Mrs. R's a go at some stage.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

€20 rib eye and hand cut chips is about right and no it isn't cheaper abroad. And no you cant buy it for half that price in Dublin or anywhere. I think it's €21 at 3Qs and it's good value there also. If it's just a ''feed'' you want; sure; go and sit in Jokers but if you want to sit down and have a meal with service and ambience, those prices are fair, PROVIDED, the food is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I think the menu looks great and i'm really excited to try it! Hope the food is good!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

no it isn't cheaper abroad. And no you cant buy it for half that price in Dublin or anywhere..

Funny that you mention that as I just bought a deal on dealrush this morning with a saving of 52% of a meal.
    You should do some research before making statements like that because I'm sure a quick Google search will prove that whole quote wrong.

DD9090 wrote: »
    Funny that you mention that as I just bought a deal on dealrush this morning with a saving of 52% of a meal.
    You should do some research before making statements like that because I'm sure a quick Google search will prove that whole quote wrong.

Agreed. The deals in Dublin at the moment are amazing. Many places are throwing in a bottle of house red and there is serious competition to get bums on seats with value menus.

I would not pay these prices full stop. It was a great opportunity for someone to open a restaurant that is not ripping people off, to stick two fingers up to this excessiveness. If anyone thinks those prices are ok for a town outside a capital city then they are deluded.

The comparison with those other restaurants is futile to me as I think they overcharge big time.

If I do eat here it is the bistro in the Hungry Monk, Bocchelis or the value menu at Chakra. To be honest I can't imagine how people find these other prices acceptable and so I generally go into Dublin. And yes the prices abroad are much much cheaper unless of course you are talking about central Manhattan so that was a daft statement.

I clearly am not the target audience for Greystones' restaurants.

audreyp wrote: »
    I think the menu looks great and i'm really excited to try it! Hope the food is good!

Yep the menu would be great if it was set at honest prices. Like I said I won't set foot in the place because it is a rip off IMO. I love supporting local business when it is a two way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Yep the menu would be great if it was set at honest prices. Like I said I won't set foot in the place because it is a rip off IMO. I love supporting local business when it is a two way street.

Your point is made now Cheekychops, so please leave it alone and let the people of Greystones decide whether the business will succeed or not. Times are tough as it is in Ireland for the service industry, without businesses getting slagged off the moment they open, or in this case before they open and before anyone has had a chance to try them out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

I agree, I think the prices are fine, about standard and I know there are groupon deals etc but thhy can be quite limited, only eat at Sunday at 4pm type thing. I also like not having the hassle of travelling to Dublin or having to drive home and not enjoy a glass or two of wine.

I'm thrilled for them and wish them every success!

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

As to whether it's expensive or not, that's a relative thing, isn't it?

Anyway, when it comes to restaurants, the key thing isn't the cost but the value delivered. If they deliver good value - in other words, good cooking, consistent standards, nice staff and relaxed atmosphere - then they will do well.

Looking at the menu, it's different enough from the other restaurants in the town that if they get the balance right, they could be quite succesful. In particular, I like the look of their brunch menu.

Like a lot of people, I can't afford to eat out as often as I once did, but when I do, I am perfectly happy to pay for good value.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Vue

It's mingin, wasn't impressed at all, won't be going back

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Vue wrote: »
    It's mingin, wasn't impressed at all, won't be going back

:confused:

Do you care to furnish us with a little more information?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

Have you seen the prices in Vino Pasta or Cavistons (who charge you for your sides)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Vue

DD9090 wrote: »
    :confused:

Do you care to furnish us with a little more information?

Yeh no worries! I got the steak sandwich, didn't think it was cooked properly at all, obviously just my opinion though! And charging 3.50 for some coleslaw is a joke.

Have you seen the prices in Vino Pasta or Cavistons (who charge you for your sides)?

I have been asked not to continue this and I agree I have made my point. If you read back you will see I have answered this already. I have nothing further to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,599 ✭✭✭eigrod

Are children welcome in the restaurant ? I understand that they are specifically excluded from the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Ok, so I didn’t start this thread in order to be negative about the restaurant… I just wanted some feedback from people who had actually been there that all.

Personally the prices seem ok they don’t seem outlandish. Overheads are still high, staff wages, rent, county council rents/rates all have to be taken into account when pricing in the service industry… so I don’t think the prices are off the wall. I did think the price originally in Mrs Robinsons bar for €10 per cocktail was crazy thankfully that has now changed.

IMO it’s a great addition to Greystones and I hope it does well, after all its very hard in this current climate to succeed in the service industry.
    I will be trying it out over Christmas and hopefully it doesn’t disappoint.

Eigrod…
    I for one am glad the pub is a child free zone, personally I don’t think it’s right having kids in a pub unless they are having dinner or something etc. It’s not a place for kids.
    The restaurant doesn’t look very child friendly and it doesn’t haven’t a kids menu, so I wouldn’t think so.

Anyway hopefully it will become another valuable asset in Greystones only time will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Newcomers1

eigrod wrote: »
    Are children welcome in the restaurant ? I understand that they are specifically excluded from the pub.

Can't speak for the restaurant, but they aren't excluded from the pub. Maybe they are not allowed after 6.30 or so, which is legislation I think, but before that they are allowed in!

Just wanted to clarify incase you had put off heading there thinking they were ;)

Advertisement