Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mrs Robinsons - New Restaurant?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

Wow that was quick. Sorry Mod, slightly trolling but not really because I believe it's true!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Those thoughts are better kept silent on thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Yep the menu would be great if it was set at honest prices. Like I said I won't set foot in the place because it is a rip off IMO. I love supporting local business when it is a two way street.

I agree with Cheeky. Take a look at this: https://www.facebook.com/BiaMaraBrussels?ref=stream

Two Irish guys started this place, now jumping and beloved of Bruxellois. Gourmet fish and chips, basically, but in a high rent capital city nothing costs more than €12 or €13. Prices like Robinson's in a small town like Greystones constitute barefaced robbery.

But they be fools out there who want to help make these guys rich!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

I have often chatted with fishermen in Kilmore quay who have been to Brussels/ Belgium and laughed at how they were able to buy a delicous seafood kebab of monkfish on the pier for pennies over there(capital of supposed euro beurocracy)
    yet here you would be arrested for the same thing. Always compare apples with apples. No one will get rich in that restaurant, I assure you.
    And c'mon. It's a fish and chip takeaway FFs! a nice one but TBH a lot of that target market here would prefer jokers.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I have often chatted with fishermen in Kilmore quay who have been to Brussels/ Belgium and laughed at how they were able to buy a delicous seafood kebab of monkfish on the pier for pennies over there(capital of supposed euro beurocracy)
    yet here you would be arrested for the same thing. Always compare apples with apples. No one will get rich in that restaurant, I assure you.
    And c'mon. It's a fish and chip takeaway FFs! a nice one but TBH a lot of that target market here would prefer jokers.

Then you should simply vote with your feet and don't eat there. If you are correct they will either reduce prices or close, simple as.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    Then you should simply vote with your feet and don't eat there. If you are correct they will either reduce prices or close, simple as.
    What Jokers reduce their prices? And no I don't eat at jokers. I'm not sure what it is that you moderate, but I would suggest you read posts before mouthing off. I was being supportive of Mrs, Rs and the prices they charge. Comparing their prices with a designer chipper in Brussels is not a fair comparison. Irish restaurants are hampered with a host of conditions that other countries restaurants are not.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I'm not sure what it is that you moderate
    Electrical, you must have missed it just like I misread your post :D
    It is quite easy to miss something on Boards when using an iPhone.
    I would suggest you read posts before mouthing off.
    Take a deep breath, life is too short.

Comparing their prices with a designer chipper in Brussels is not a fair comparison. Irish restaurants are hampered with a host of conditions that other countries restaurants are not.
    Agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I was being supportive of Mrs, Rs and the prices they charge. Comparing their prices with a designer chipper in Brussels is not a fair comparison. Irish restaurants are hampered with a host of conditions that other countries restaurants are not.

Agreed.

I don't think it's a realistic or fair comparison at all

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭stevestevenson

Haven't tried it yet, but it's run by the same folks that have 37 Dawson St in Dublin (formerly Ron Blacks); so if it's as good as there then we're in for a treat.

Regardless of quality though, slightly disappointed that the Greystones menu prices are the same as a City Centre venue - are the rates THAT high on the main street? I know councillor junkets to to Dubai aren't cheap, so maybe they are? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

I don't know why people are comparing a restaurant in greystones to restaurants in Dublin. Completely different market! just because You got a deal in town doesn't mean a local restaurant can afford the same. You have to factor in footfall, overheads, competition etc etc

And 10 euro for a cocktail isn't expensive either. When You factor in how much alcohol goes into them(usually two shots), fresh herbs/ garnishes and the time to make them 10 euro is about right.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

wicklowgal wrote: »
    This whole Mrs Robinsons malarkey has totally gone over my head. Anytime I've attempted to go in even for a drink to see what all the hype was, I've never really managed to get a seat at night and it's always jammed to capacity ie everyone bumping into each other, can't even get to the toilets etc. Maybe I'm just picking bad nights to go, I don't know but it's not my idea of a good night.

<<<snip>>>

Don't like crowded pubs either and after one visit I haven't been back.

But there is a class of sheeple that like to herd together at the waterhole and I guess this pub is for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mr Diamond

Don't like crowded pubs either and after one visit I haven't been back.

But there is a class of sheeple that like to herd together at the waterhole and I guess this pub is for them.

Ah c'mon - anything popular is busy. Is a packed stadium, a cinema, shop or even Concert Hall full of Sheep? Or are they simply interested in what is on offer at the time? Its a cool pub, imo, and sure its not everyones cup of tea. That's why there is a variety of options for people in Greystones which is a GREAT thing. No?
    Haven't tried the restaurant yet - it does seem to err on the expensive side, but the same could be said of the Beachhouse. We'll certainly give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭oinkely

Five pages of comments and a handful of people have eaten there........

Anyway, had dinner there one evening before Christmas and was very happy with the food and the service. We had booked (luckily as they were turning people away) but weren't told we would be sitting at the counter. Not the end of the world and was equally as comfortable as a table given the layout so no big issue there. To apologise for not having informed us of this they did give us a free cocktail each, which was a nice touch I thought.

I ate the sliders (mini-me burgers) which were very enjoyable, and my wife had the fish and chips. Again this was very tasty. I had bread and dips sort of things for starter and it was lovely and my wife enjoyed her fish cake thingies.

In all, great atmosphere, not super cheap (but no worse than the competition) but great service.

Thumbs up from this quarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Merrilady

Ate there last week with The Hubby - Lovely place, nice and relaxed and comfy. Super nice staff, cool décor.
    I thought the menu was good, nice choices and a bit of something for everyone - In my opinion.
    I had the sliders and the hubby had a few starters. From what I could see the food is made from scratch and they use fresh and good ingredients.
    I didn't think the prices was out of line with anywhere else, infact I thought it was good value.

Wines by glass priced under €5, sliders + fries were €15

Great to see it in the village, a BIG thumbs up from us anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

It's great to hear such positive feedback on the food, service, ambiance. It is just out of my price range. I must be the only one that can't afford these kind of prices anymore! That said it is great they are not taking the piss and are a quality food establishment.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Delganyman

Ate there recently and although only half full service so was terrible they knocked 70% off the bill. A wait of some 40-50 minutes for two main courses and a kid’s meal. Then one main course didn’t arrive leading to another wait of a further 10-15 minutes which, coupled with relatively high prices is not a good way to start. However food was good but won’t be going back. Unfortunately Greystones still lacks a good, reasonably priced family restaurant with a decent kids menu. Let’s have look at the choices for a family of four with young kids. Chinese or Indian, not of great interest for most kids and little in a way of a children’s menu. The Hungry Monk – doesn’t look like the place kids would be too welcome. The Three Q’s – a bit cramped for family dining and again little in the way of kids nosh. That really just leaves Italian. Vino Pasta again no children’s menu to my knowledge, no pizzas and pricy. Bochellis – the best of the pick for pizzas although a limited kids menu. How about a Captain America’s style restaurant or even Nandos would be most welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

Fwiw the Hungry Monk is very welcoming to kids

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Spongebopp

darter wrote: »
    I have to agree with BobWilliams. The comments re. prices are over-the-top. Yes, it's not cheap, and could be a euro or two less, but it's not super-expensive by any stretch. I'll be trying it out.

I think considering it is a pub after all? the prices are definatley on high side, maybe if they had a bit more range on the menu, they could have some mid-price meals.
    But at the end of the day as long as we keep paying, they will keep charging, It is simple supply and demand. While some products/services have come down in recent years (Hairdressing for example) eating out has not really. we value eating out as so many Irish People are hopeless cooks.

Spongebopp wrote: »
    I think considering it is a pub after all? the prices are definatley on high side, maybe if they had a bit more range on the menu, they could have some mid-price meals.
    But at the end of the day as long as we keep paying, they will keep charging, It is simple supply and demand. While some products/services have come down in recent years (Hairdressing for example) eating out has not really. we value eating out as so many Irish People are hopeless cooks.

you joking? nothing to do with that,there are still a lot of deals in Dublin for eg that you would not have got a few years ago.Eating out in general has come down.
    However,the top one's are still mega expensive as they're still getting plenty of people in the door.
    As above,it's supply and demand and the fact that there is still plenty of money around this area people will go there and that has absolutely nothing to do with not being good cooks.

We value eating out because it's a nice experience.Some people i know spend their cash on beer and betting,i spend it on going out for meals at least once a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Fwiw the Hungry Monk is very welcoming to kids
    FWIW the HM has gone way down in service since they opened the new area. they even charged us for ketchup and for extra pepper sauce on the steak! They made us wait in the new lobby when the table was late and didn't even offer us a drink or a seat in the wine bar.

we wrote to them and didn't even get a response.

• Advertisement

FWIW the HM has gone way down in service since they opened the new area. they even charged us for ketchup and for extra pepper sauce on the steak! They made us wait in the new lobby when the table was late and didn't even offer us a drink or a seat in the wine bar.

Seems to be very busy

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

Spongebopp wrote: »

Pub? This appears to be a restaurant, it is a seperate building from the pub and you cannot get to the pub without leaving thr building and walking down the street.

I ate there at the weekend with visitng family. Everyone thought it was great, the food was excelent and the price was no different to all the places we have eaten at over xmas.

The staff didnt know much about the menu and could not answer questions about the drinks or food but they were freindly and i am sure they will learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

It's likely the wine bar was full as it's part of the restaurant.

We had 2 meals in The Hungry Monk over the Christmas break and they were 2 of the best meals I've ever had there. It really is as good as it ever was. The service was 100% as always especially from Nick who always goes out of his way to make sure we have a good night.

They always seem to get a lot of stick on boards but I can't fault the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

Swanner wrote: »
    It's likely the wine bar was full as it's part of the restaurant.

We had 2 meals in The Hungry Monk over the Christmas break and they were 2 of the best meals I've ever had there. It really is as good as it ever was. The service was 100% as always especially from Nick who always goes out of his way to make sure we have a good night.

They always seem to get a lot of stick on boards but I can't fault the place.
    The wine bar was empty when we were there, the bistro was busy

Charged for ketchup??????hard to believe
    Anyway for anyone who's interested i was there with my kids last week and everything was 100%.
    Went with my wife 2 weeks ago and again it was faultless.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Emma A

Ate there Sat night - really impressed food was gorgeous portions really generous and service was great - we had two starters one would have been enough loads of chicken wings in a portion - two rib eye steaks and two drinks each for 70 euro. I think you would be hard pushed to get an early bird in town incl 4 drinks for that with really good food and big portions

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Oldlegs

Was in Vino Pasta recently - great menu, staff and overall ambience. Highly recommend the cured meat platter as a starter - or if you want something to have a glass of wine over rather than a main course

Was back in Bochellis last night with the kids. Small kids menu, but the kids pizza's are big. Their early bird menu continues on to 9pm on Sunday evenings and the place was busy without being too jammed. Great starters which we had included the Caesar salad, king prawns and huge bruschetta. Steak main course was exactly what I wanted, and others had the Saltimbocca (well recommended). 2-courses for €18.95 (incl. tea/coffee)- can't go wrong there.

IMO I think we have a wide range of restaurants catering for different price points. All within a stroll of each other. Hopefully they can all keep going through 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JanJanT

Went to Mrs.Robinsons for Sunday brunch, it was busy when we walked in. There was. At 4 tables that needed to be cleared with no one sitting at them but we were told only seats left at the bar. We sat there until a table for 2 had just left and asked if we could sit there. Waiter cleared that table and we sat down! Looked around and noticed most tables were waiting for their food! It took 45 mins to get our food - the sliders - food was tasty! We ordered a coffee and a coke when the food came, those took 20 mins to come to the table. There was four staff in the floor but none I them seemed to rush around, very laid back, strolling around! The tables that needed to be cleared when we got there were the same when we left! Wasn't impressed!

Hearing bad things now with regularity. They should have lifted their game by now. Heard about one example where three people ordered steak, one rare, one medium etc. Steaks came out but waiter had forgotten which were which so diners had to cut and compare. hilarious except €22 and that's not funny at all.
    Bar is still good and the cocktail barman knows his stuff and is very efficient, remembers people, their drinks etc. Table service seems to have gone though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Was in there a couple of weekends ago and get seated on a very uncomfortable chair. Fish and chips were very nice. Came on a bed of mushy peas though, bluergh. BBQ ribs were a little bland and just didn't quite taste right.

Wasn't too impressed with the all the food coming out on chopping blocks. Personally, don't think it's very hygienic. I will ask for a plate (if there is a) next time.

It's possible my impression was marred by the nursing of an almighty hangover though.

Advertisement