Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mrs Robinsons - New Restaurant?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

d31b0y wrote: »

Wasn't too impressed with the all the food coming out on chopping blocks. Personally, don't think it's very hygienic. I will ask for a plate (if there is a) next time.

Jesus only in Ireland...

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Jesus only in Ireland...

Not really

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

the foods all likely to be chopped on similar blocks and butchers blocks so i don't see your issue? some fairy liquid and a wire brush would have it as clean as a plate

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its a daft gimmick. Have you ever received your food on a plate and thought "jeez, I wish it was on a wooden block, or a roof tile"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Jesus only in Ireland...

I suggest you take a read of this.

http://www.fsai.ie/faqs/wooden_chopping_boards.html
    the foods all likely to be chopped on similar blocks and butchers blocks so i don't see your issue? some fairy liquid and a wire brush would have it as clean as a plate

I said personally. It's a personal preference. How do I know they are cleaning the chopping blocks with a wire scrubbing pad? I would, personally, prefer a plate that I know is going to be clean (or at least, I can see the dirt easier).

Besides, I don't mind the ODD thing coming out on a chopping block (like a cold meat platter or other dishes that you are going to be digging into with your knife when cutting your food) but every dish I saw come out of the kitchen was on a block. It was a bit silly in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Fiachra2

some fairy liquid and a wire brush would have it as clean as a plate

Or it might have at least sorted out your hangover.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Was in there a few weekends back for dinner on a Saturday night. Food was nice but the service was terrible.

Seemed to be no one running the place. The staff were just strolling around. Loads of tables had no drinks while a guy was over in the corner casually shining spoons. At one stage all the chefs seems to go on a break at the same time.

Had to ask for a spoon for our soup and butter for our bread. Only managed to get two drinks the entire evening, which was about two hours.

We spent some time trying to figure out who was in charge but couldn't.

Also thought the lights were too bright in some areas and the seats were not very comfortable.

Will probably try again at some stage but was not a good first impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

d31b0y wrote: »
    Was in there a couple of weekends ago and get seated on a very uncomfortable chair. Fish and chips were very nice. Came on a bed of mushy peas though, bluergh. BBQ ribs were a little bland and just didn't quite taste right.

Wasn't too impressed with the all the food coming out on chopping blocks. Personally, don't think it's very hygienic. I will ask for a plate (if there is a) next time.

It's possible my impression was marred by the nursing of an almighty hangover though.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Sad to hear all the negative opinions, I was there last week and thought it was great. I got a yummy cheese plate and the sliders. Staff were lovely! Great time and its really nice to have a casual enough place to eat!

Wish them every luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Pity it's not open on a Sunday evening :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Ate here last Saturday night with my wife.

We both love to eat out when possible, and the options we have locally to do that.

I'd say that Mrs R's is a good complement to what we're lucky to already have, and I hope it gets supported and becomes a mainstay of the town. The style and ambiance of the place makes it the most comfy and relaxing place for us to eat an evening meal out in Greystones - it's our type of place I guess.

That said, service and value could be, and should be improved. Service in particular as average service just isn't good enough in a competitive market.

Examples..... On arrival, we were left sitting for too long without being asked if we were ready to order / wanted a drink. The menu was also a bit unreliable (e.g. when the menu says half a roast chicken you expect breast and leg, not just breast).

That said we did very much enjoy the food we got, although our desserts were a bit samey - more variety needed in that part of the menu.

Without improvement it wouldn't make the top three in our "foodie nights out in Greystones" list.

So a guarded welcome - has the potential to be our top spot in town for a foodie night out, but what I'm willing to mark down as some early wrinkles definitely need ironing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

We ate there recently, and both enjoyed it and will be back to try it again soon. My food came on a plate thankfully!

Starters and main were particularly nice, while we felt the dessert was lacking - as they often are.

As others here have mentioned, we weren't blown away by the service. A lot of staff about, but difficult to get their attention, for which there is no excuse with such an open plan space.

I think the early part of the thread was concerned with price and value for money, we felt it delivered on both counts. Hopefully, they can take note of some of the feedback here regarding service and improve in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭eleMental

Agree with so many above comments. Ate there the other night - it was quite busy. Food was really good and very tasty (very big portions!) but the service was abyssmal. Again, seemed to be nobody in charge, long waits between finishing meals and having the plates removed, long waits between courses, long waits for additional asks like more water, or a Coke, or ketchup, or the coffees (and in some cases our requests were just forgotten). I think we had 4 different people serving / clearing up throughout the meal, there seemed to be no ownership or monitoring of tables and everyone seemed very, very junior and haphazardly just jumping in wherever they thought people were needed instead of a defined table waiting system. Dont get me wrong, the staff were all very friendly and chatty and helpful? But very disorganised.

Its a pity because it has real potential but they need someone to step in and manage it properly.

Also, less importantly I was VERY confused by the decor?!!!! Is it a bistro, is it a cosy restaurant, is it a 50's diner, is it a comfy eaterie?! Personally I prefer the cosy element side of it and think they should get rid of the hideous chip-shop style display board over the serving area - its quite out-of-place!!!! (IMHO ;))

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Wholeheartedly

Ate here just after Christmas and was disappointed, but we were hoping these were just teething problems and would have been worked out by now. Same problems as mentioned above - food not as described on menu (was given cranberry sauce out of a jar as a dip to go with breads instead of roast beetroot dip as advertised..strange!) Very inexperienced staff. And I believe in not judging prices until you have eaten the food, as the price of food should reflect the quality. But 92 euro for two courses for three people and a bottle of sparkling water is crazzzzzy! Especially when neither the food or the service were flawless.

I really hope they find their feet soon and thrive within Greystones!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

So eventually I made it in to Mrs Robinson’s Kitchen on Saturday night. We had booked a table for 6.
    Décor odd but suits the place, menu while small was ok and the staff were very nice and friendly.

Unfortunately we did have a number of issues we had to wait AGES for any drinks we ordered, and a lot of the times the drinks that came out were not what we ordered, some of our party ordered wine, when the wine arrived was just left on the table for us to open etc. Not that we mind pouring or own wine of course, but the unopened bottle was just left there, so we helped ourselves. :rolleyes:

My starter was pretty good (shared the antipasti plate), but was quiet expensive at €12 for what we got. The others did order starters too like chicken wings etc. said they were ok.
    I ordered the chicken salad for main course with no dressing and some tomatoes, when I received it I got it with TONS of addressing and not much anything else (no tomatoes) Etc – so infact it wasn’t a salad at all, just some cous, lettuce and chicken that’s it… apart from the tons of dressing.. The rest of the party ordered the sliders, none of whom were impressed they were all dry and not very tasty. I did however try the chips that came with the sliders, they were yum. We arrived at 7pm, and it took until 9pm for us to finally finish our main courses, the food took forever and while it was busy, not all the tables were full. We didn’t bother with dessert as everything else took so long, so all in all im very disappointed, won’t be going back. It’s a pity because I thought it looked like a great addition to Greystones. This was the general consensus with the whole group. :cool:

While they staff were nice and friendly, they didn’t seem to know what was going on and were all over the place, service was terrible.

After which we went into Mrs Robinson’s bar (I think they are connected business wise but have been told by many different sources they are not so I don’t know).
    As usual it was very busy with a good vibe and music….
    But the manager (the guy with the glasses) was a complete dick…. I’ve been in here many times and haven’t experienced this so hopefully it’s a passing phase.
    Its appears “his too cool for school” attitude is getting way out of hand – IMO anyway we will have to wait and see.

All in all we were disappointed and won’t be going back, the quality of food was ok (a step up from Eddie Rockets but expenbsive for what it was) but for diner style I think Eddie rockets is more on the money than Mrs Robinsons’ Kitchen.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

cocker5 wrote: »
    So eventually I made it in to Mrs Robinson’s Kitchen on Saturday night. We had booked a table for 6.
    Décor odd but suits the place, menu while small was ok and the staff were very nice and friendly.

Unfortunately we did have a number of issues we had to wait AGES for any drinks we ordered, and a lot of the times the drinks that came out were not what we ordered, some of our party ordered wine, when the wine arrived was just left on the table for us to open etc. Not that we mind pouring or own wine of course, but the unopened bottle was just left there, so we helped ourselves. :rolleyes:

My starter was pretty good (shared the antipasti plate), but was quiet expensive at €12 for what we got. The others did order starters too like chicken wings etc. said they were ok.
    I ordered the chicken salad for main course with no dressing and some tomatoes, when I received it I got it with TONS of addressing and not much anything else (no tomatoes) Etc – so infact it wasn’t a salad at all, just some cous, lettuce and chicken that’s it… apart from the tons of dressing.. The rest of the party ordered the sliders, none of whom were impressed they were all dry and not very tasty. I did however try the chips that came with the sliders, they were yum. We arrived at 7pm, and it took until 9pm for us to finally finish our main courses, the food took forever and while it was busy, not all the tables were full. We didn’t bother with dessert as everything else took so long, so all in all im very disappointed, won’t be going back. It’s a pity because I thought it looked like a great addition to Greystones. This was the general consensus with the whole group. :cool:

While they staff were nice and friendly, they didn’t seem to know what was going on and were all over the place, service was terrible.

After which we went into Mrs Robinson’s bar (I think they are connected business wise but have been told by many different sources they are not so I don’t know).
    As usual it was very busy with a good vibe and music….
    But the manager (the guy with the glasses) was a complete dick…. I’ve been in here many times and haven’t experienced this so hopefully it’s a passing phase.
    Its appears “his too cool for school” attitude is getting way out of hand – IMO anyway we will have to wait and see.

All in all we were disappointed and won’t be going back, the quality of food was ok (a step up from Eddie Rockets but expenbsive for what it was) but for diner style I think Eddie rockets is more on the money than Mrs Robinsons’ Kitchen.

:cool:

Any chance you could say/send this to the management of Mrs Robinson’s Kitchen? Your comments would be better served helping them getting things right as opposed to putting people off the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

cocker.what did the manager do to pish you off?
    fwiw i find him as you described,he goes on like someone who likes the smell of his own ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭bobwilliams

RosieJoe wrote: »
    Any chance you could say/send this to the management of Mrs Robinson’s Kitchen? Your comments would be better served helping them getting things right as opposed to putting people off the place.

if they're not checking out comments on boards it shows how out of touch they are

Rosie joe.... Firstlly I'm not trying to put people off the place, infact I was the poster who started the whole thread. This is my honest opinion of my experience. Secondly if you read the enitre thread you will see my experience is not the only one of this nature.

Thirdly, during my visit at the weekend their didnt seem to be anyone over 25 serving let alone a manager, as I mentioned above while the staff were lovely and friendly but all over the place. Norammly I would complain in person but we were out for a friends "engagement dinner" so i wasnt going to make a big deal.

;)

cocker.what did the manager do to pish you off?
    fwiw i find him as you described,he goes on like someone who likes the smell of his own ....

Well I have been going to Mrs Robinson since it opened last year and while I do like the place, the music and the vibe the manager has always been a tad over the top in his effort to be “uber cool”.

Apart from the fact that he serves all his mates before any other normal customers (even if they are behind you in the queue – and your obviously in front of them) on Saturday night he reached a new level of “knob” IMO.

What really pissed me off on Saturday night was I asked him if he had ¼ bottles of wine (as I was ordering round – the wine wasn’t for me)…
    his answer was no only by the glass… which is fine, so I asked me if I could get a glass from a wine bottle that was opened recently… his response is “where the f*ck do you think this this… the Burnaby” and he stormed off without another word, so I asked another (far nicer) bar man for my round, again with the wine request and he said no problem at all… no issue whatsoever.

So maybe he was having a bad night or something but still I worked in bars all through my college years and would never have carried on like that.

That’s just my experience… so Unfortuanlty all in all Saturday wasn’t a success.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

I would have walked out if a member of staff said that to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭legrand

I've not eaten at this place (I'm local) - but based on the feedback from customers posting here I can state I will not be parting with any of my hard-earned cash at Mrs Robinsons.

Management (if your reading) please take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I cant believe anyone sets foot in this place after the reviews ive read on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Car2318

Husband and I visited a few Fridays back.

All in all we really liked the place and will return.

Service was very friendly but I agree a little disorganised and it was very difficult to see who was in charge but I could not fault their manners or willingness.

Foodwise - we really liked it, reasonable prices and nice size portions.

Decor - felt it was a bit like Jamie Olivers new place in Dundrum (that is a big plus in our books). The music was complete 80s and we loved absolutely loved that part.

In general I think comments here have all agreed on service, however I do feel it is unfair to slam the restaurant experience over the behaviour of one individual who works in the bar only.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Pricewise it's similar to 3Qs. So why would you pay for untrained people to serve you? No matter how nice they are! The chef is the same guy as the failed Bels Bistro across the road so don't expect miracles there either. The Monk and 3Qs are doing a great job in maintaining high standards of food and service. Monk is conservative, whilst 3q is innovative. Sure try things out when they come to town but this issue of untrained ''nice'' waiters bringing wrong food and no drinks is unacceptable at the price. They have known about these ''issues'' for weeks now and done effectively nothing. Spend your money elsewhere. And yes that manager next door has lost his mojo. He was very nice and friendly when they opened but has changed for whatever reason. The bar and restaurant are owned by the same people. they also own The wright venue in swords and 37A Dawson St where the food is pretty ordinary too TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Had brunch last Sunday. Overall very pleasant with some of the well-reported irritations still present.

The big positives for us were the tasty food (all 3 mains were good) and the relaxing atmosphere. There was lots of space compared to many other local restaurants - a big plus when you have a toddler in tow. I really like the room and the relaxed atmosphere.

The service still does need to improve - I'd say 1 or 2 experienced hands could make a real difference.

Another simple fix would be to make sure the dishes match the menu. The farls listed with the breakfast fry sounded good, so two slices of white toast was a letdown.

I am hopeful these service and menu issues will get solved as I do see plenty of good things about the restaurant and would like it to thrive and become part if the local furniture like the happy pear, 3qs etc.

To that end, I'll mail the restaurant directly and make sure the feedback from here is being read.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 274 ✭✭The Durutti Column

Pricewise it's similar to 3Qs. So why would you pay for untrained people to serve you? No matter how nice they are! The chef is the same guy as the failed Bels Bistro across the road so don't expect miracles there either. The Monk and 3Qs are doing a great job in maintaining high standards of food and service. Monk is conservative, whilst 3q is innovative. Sure try things out when they come to town but this issue of untrained ''nice'' waiters bringing wrong food and no drinks is unacceptable at the price. They have known about these ''issues'' for weeks now and done effectively nothing. Spend your money elsewhere. And yes that manager next door has lost his mojo. He was very nice and friendly when they opened but has changed for whatever reason. The bar and restaurant are owned by the same people. they also own The wright venue in swords and 37A Dawson St where the food is pretty ordinary too TBH.

Maybe financially it's not doing well, and this guy is feeling the pressure.

Not an excuse, mind you. I don't go either to Mrs R or the restaurant precisely because I regard Mrs R as badly managed and inconvenient and the restaurant as over priced for what they serve, apparently poorly and inefficiently, even if in a friendly manner.

Easy to fill Mrs R. Not so easy to make money from it, for the same reason, unless everyone there is a binge drinker. Maybe not so long from now we won't be complaining — it'll be gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

they also own The wright venue in swords

Not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭JandS

Hi,

Myself and the wife were at Ms.R for dinner on a saturday night.

We had a great night - food was excellent, as was the wine and cocktails.

Staff were great, extremely helpful, and they even gave us a round of free cocktails as we were waiting for our table for a few minutes.

Prices are well set for the standard of food that you get. If you want a chipper, get a chipper.

Might be an idea for people to stop moaning all the time and instead try and give an up and coming business a bit of support.

It's a breath of fresh air having somewhere other than the Burnaby to go, which is filthy dirty, and full of idiots at the best of times. A bit of competition might do them good, as long as they play it clean (which, I've heard is not their style).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

I have been for the third time last weekend and really like the place. We take our visitors there now as a change to the other places and they have all really enjoyed it. Last time we went we had starters main and drinks and it only cost a few euros more than mains and drinks in the beachhouse and the same price as main, desert and drinks in the coachhouse in rounwood.

Advertisement