Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyrite - attic conversion

Options
  • 17-12-2012 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hello there

Just wondering if anyone out there has converted their attic in a home which has pyrite. I am thinking of getting the attic done but wonder if this is a bad idea seeing as my house (which has pyrite) has not yet been remedied. Are there any pitfalls / or anything to consider? I wouldn't have though that the attic conversion would be impacted...

Appreciate any thoughts / feedback..

gggg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I am not qualified to talk about the architectural pros and cons, but in simple economics terms I think it's something you would never benefit from. Unless you have reasons why you cannot move house and just really need the space?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 gggg

I wasn't talking about economics - sorry if not clear. No benefits economically, agree. I am talking about architectural reasons...

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I would be concerned about wall movement which could mean you'd have to re-do much of the work if it got damaged. How bad and how much affect is the pyrite having?

to be honest the pyrite has only affected the house minimally.. cracks are minor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

gggg wrote: »
    to be honest the pyrite has only affected the house minimally.. cracks are minor
    personally I'd put the money into fixing the problem. You'll never be able to move unless its fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭coadyd

cost or repair's for pyrite is around 60 to 80 k .. If it were me I would not convert the attic, eventually you will need to gut the house and replace the foundation .

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I wouldn't do anything before resolving the pyrite, as you could be undoing work. Talk to an engineer.

the pyrite will eventually be fixed by the builder so i wont be paying for the repair as such but want to make use of the extra space in the attic meanwhile..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

gggg wrote: »
    the pyrite will eventually be fixed by the builder so i wont be paying for the repair as such but want to make use of the extra space in the attic meanwhile..

If the work in attic gets undone by the pyrite will the builder repair that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,443 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I had my house repaired by the builder and the house was perfect afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Do not convert your attic until after pyrite issue resolved. The building is currently held together by the structure. When you temporarily weaken this structure it may change shape. Then fixing the structure in place which will be uneven.
    Once they address the pyrite the roof could be uneven or worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

If there's only very minor cracking due to the pyrite, get a reputable chartered engineer to design the conversion and go ahead.

If it was a massive problem with pyrite I'd say otherwise, but it really doesn't sound like it is. Do you have crack monitors in place, OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

godtabh wrote: »
    If the work in attic gets undone by the pyrite will the builder repair that?

That's actually a good point, my instinct would be surely not as the OP is going into the conversion knowing that there's a pyrite issue? That said, the OP has also already stated that the only cracking is very minor, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to assume that any cracking in the attic would also be minor. If the repairs are due to be made soon though it'd be worth holding out.

Advertisement