Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water (City Centre area) - smells like bleach!

Options
  • 17-12-2012 7:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

Anyone else finding that the mains water in the city centre and Montenottee areas is extremely over chlorinated ?

It absolutely stinks of bleach so strongly that I could even make tea with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Solair wrote: »
    Anyone else finding that the mains water in the city centre and Montenottee areas is extremely over chlorinated ?

It absolutely stinks of bleach so strongly that I could even make tea with it.

I get it sometimes for the last few months. I live in Ballinlough.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

It's been happening me too - a nice clean alternative to the usual brown tinted water that I get every so often

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Yeah have noticed that as well, at first thought there was a bottle of bleach under the sink after spilling.

I can't drink the tap water anymore between the chlorine and fluoride, it tastes horrible, and it can't be good for you either.

Bottled water all the way for me, if when they introduce water charges will have to bill them for the bottled water! Until they can give us good quality water.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

tis the same around ballintemple..Stinks of bleach

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Our water turned brown today too, but I think that's just some local work on a main. It's not a regular thing. It's normally completely clear, but really bleachy.

We gave the City Council a ring on Friday, I'd suggest other people do the same on here:

Phone Number 021 4924514 / 4924255 / 4924228
    Email Address waterservices(AT)corkcity.ie

They need to do some sampling and sort it out!

• Advertisement

I was told the pipes in my area (near the Mardyke) are old and have a lot of dirt in them. If there is a disturbance like road works or building the sediment will appear in the water. It usually goes away after a couple of days. The pipes have to get flushed by the council about once a year.

The smell of bleach from the water is from the chlorination process that kills off bugs and micro organisms. It doesn't do much harm, it's just a bit unpleasant for drinking. A brita filter or carbon filter will get rid of the taste of bleach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I was told the pipes in my area (near the Mardyke) are old and have a lot of dirt in them. If there is a disturbance like road works or building the sediment will appear in the water. It usually goes away after a couple of days. The pipes have to get flushed by the council about once a year.

The smell of bleach from the water is from the chlorination process that kills off bugs and micro organisms. It doesn't do much harm, it's just a bit unpleasant for drinking. A brita filter or carbon filter will get rid of the taste of bleach.

How much is 'much'? And why has the water never before smelled of bleach in my 37 years in the same area?

I'm not an expert, but I read somewhere that chlorine can react with other substances in the water supply to form toxins or carcinogenic by-products. It wouldn't be as bad as the nasty bugs that would be in the water without the chlorine though, like E.coli. Or as bad as the carcinogenic chemicals that come off re-used plastic water bottles. We will have to revert to medieval practices and drink only beer and wine for all our fluid intake again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I'm in Deerpark and it smells / looks fine here :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I live near MacCurtain Street and there's been a funky smell off the water for years. It annoys me but I just get over it because what else can I do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Commented only two days ago to OH about distinct smell of chlorine from water. Am mid-way between Glanmire and Mayfield.

I think you just have to keep calling them up / emailing them until they eventually agree to actually test the water.

They might be dosing a bit too high (even if it's within safety limits).

On the plus side, my toilet's looking FANTASTIC and my teeth are sparkling white.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

Solair wrote: »
    [...] my teeth are sparkling white.

You're thinking of fluoride! Chlorine causes tooth discoloration and sensitivity!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Cork water is brutal.

When ya smell extra chlorine it's the bacteria count has went way too high and there trying to bring it down

And imo it can't be healthy to be drinking chlorine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

tis the same in ballintemple, tis mank and i normally wouldnt be too bad with it but got a few bottles today rather than drink it

A Brita filter seems to reduce the odour anyway, although I'm sticking to bottled water for the time being.

Advertisement