Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bernese Mountain Dog

• 17-12-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

Hi,

Our beautiful Bernese mountain dog and great companion didn’t come from Bernice but from the Wicklow mountains. We bought it from a man called John Keaney in Carnew. He told us that he would be transferring the ownership a few weeks later and all the papers but we have never received anything. They could've got lost in the post- not sure.

We have tried to contact him several times but it keeps going to voice mail. When we brought the dog to the Vet, he gave us the chip number which starts with number 9 and has another 14 digits and advised us to wait for a few more weeks for the documentation to arrive, that was two months ago.

I remember he mentioned about a website (animal something), apparently most chips in Ireland come from there. Does anyone know about their website. I have unsuccessfully tried fido

Many thanks to all for your help
    Jose

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Sorry, but you've been conned. It happens constantly to people getting puppies when they go to a less than ethical breeder. Those papers will never arrive, they did not get lost in the post. You cant get through to him because he's probably changed his phone number now that he's sold all of his puppies and doesn't want anyone trying to come back to him if there's a problem. Sorry OP, but you just bought a pup from a puppy farmer/backyard breeder and you are never going to see these papers because they don't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Did you go to his house to see the pup? If so is calling over to him an option - say the pup has a card for his mammy or something? Or maybe call from a different number?
    Anyhoos for the chip you should have got a card with the papers that has a code - you put that into fido.ie and it lets you change the owners details.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

So, are you saying that your pup was microchipped when you bought him from the breeder?
    If this is the case, there is a chance that the pup is registered, and that there's some genuine reason why you can't contact the breeder: it's more expensive to microchip a pup than it is to IKC register a pup, so I don't know why the breeder would've gone to the trouble of microchipping, but not bothered registering. A pup must be microchipped in order to be registered.
    Now, don't get me wrong, this breeder could be as hooky as hell, I'm just playing devil's advocate here, because it is a little bit unusual that he went to the trouble of chipping the pup at all!
    Are you sure that the chip isn't already registered? Did you/your vet run the number through all the databases? When you say you'd no luck with Fido, does this mean you've confirmed that his chip is not registered with them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Funnily enough I was on Fido.ie earlier updating my guys details.. OP I'm assuming you've tried it in the checker thing? http://www.fido.ie/chipchecker.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Danes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭josvill2010

That's what we think too! But we have tried the websites below without any success. I will try the IKG tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Go back to the,breeders house and demand the papers. The ikc can't do anything as it's the breeder that has to reg the pups.

Advertisement