Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What happens when you fail a core module?

Options
  • 17-12-2012 8:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hope the exams are going / went well.

Personally, I was reasonably comfortable coming in to exam season, I had 6 exams, 5 in 5 days, and all of them were grand except I had one tricky enough one.

Anyway, the tricky one came right at the end of this intense exam sprint, and I was burnt out and just my mind was frazzled and when I was revising it I felt like I was unlearning stuff and confusing myself more than I was getting a handle on it. It's purely maths, so I thought just practice, practice and more and more will fall into place, but it didn't and I panicked and resigned myself to failure before the exam and then duly delivered once I got in there. Only a mirical could save me now from not failing the module.

My exams were for second year (first semester of stage two - 4 semesters total for stage two), so if I failed it, does that mean I just carry on my degree as normal, but with that fail hanging over me, and there's a second part to that module next year, so presumably I'll have to repeat that module before I can do the second one next year...so do I repeat it at the next exam sitting (summer of 2013) or do I have to wait for the module to be done over next year and repeat it this time next year (Christmas 2013) or what?

And if I have to wait until Christmas 2013, does that mean I wont be able to do the second part if it's in semester 1 of next year? And then does that mean I'll potentially have 1 extra semester with 1 extra subject (second part of this module) after I'm supposed to finish?

Uggggh, amazing how one fu*k up can throw everything out of whack. I was doing better than good with the exception of this module, now my GPA will probably take a major hit, and could throw my degree right of schedule....disaster. :(

Also, if you fail the repeat (which I wont) does that mean degree failed, goodnight?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You'll repeat it next summer. You can fail a subject as how many times as you want, obviously going to cost be expensive as you'll keep having to pay the repeat fee. Your grade will be capped at a D- for your GPA and you can't substitute it either. GPA will take a hit but losing 2.2 points maximum from 24 subjects should be easy enough to make up if you really want. You're lucky in that it's happened at the start of 2nd year.

Advertisement