Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iPad Versions

• 17-12-2012 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭

Quick question re iPads. My understanding is that to date there have been four versions of iPad, namely:-
    1. iPad
    2. iPad 2
    3. The New iPad
    4. iPad with Retina Display.

If that's correct, then is the older version that Apple is currently selling called iPad 2 the second generation model rather than the third? Why would they discontinue a newer one and continue selling its predecessor?

Thinking of buying someone an iPad for a present but would have some concerns that an older generation model may become obsolete rather quickly, i.e. Apple may not support with future operating system updates e.g. iPhone 3G. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭andrewdeerpark

This page sums up the list available to purchase currently.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/compare/

Which one to buy depends on what you intend to use it for; if just messing around on the couch surfing the web and only using a few apps buy the 16GB cheapest iPad (not mini). You get storage via iCloud.

You intend to play games and shoot some video, watch movies etc then you will need more memory.

I would not bother with any of the 3G models because you can get a MIFI router so cheaply if you want mobile broadband.

The whole 16GB, 32GB, 64GB memory size options with no SD slot is just an apple money racket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

The 4th gen replaced the 3rd, the only differences between the two are the lightning adaptor, slightly faster processor and 40 quid added on. They left the iPad 2 as the one below, I assume because there's a fair difference between the 2 and 3/4 but very little difference between the 3 and 4

They didn't do much advertising about the iPad 4 though because of the mini and iPhone 5. But they both have retina displays. Before the 4th gen came out the 3rd gen was also called The iPad with retina iirc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

If that's correct, then is the older version that Apple is currently selling called iPad 2 the second generation model rather than the third? Why would they discontinue a newer one and continue selling its predecessor?

Because there's not much difference between the third and fourth gen iPad. They both have Retina screens which is a very expensive component. Apple wouldn't be able to sell the iPad 3 as cheaply as they can the 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

Thanks, would definitely be going for the basic wifi only 16GB version as the person in question would not be a heavy user at all, just wondering if iPad 2 is now two generations in the past whether it would be better to go for the newer model for €100 more.

Edit: further replies since I started typing, probably iPad 2 is the one to go for. Thanks again, you've just saved me €100! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

The 4th gen replaced the 3rd, the only differences between the two are the lightning adaptor, slightly faster processor and 40 quid added on.
    FWIW, they also upgraded the front-facing camera from 0.3 to 1.2MP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Thanks, would definitely be going for the basic wifi only 16GB version as the person in question would not be a heavy user at all, just wondering if iPad 2 is now two generations in the past whether it would be better to go for the newer model for €100 more.

Edit: further replies since I started typing, probably iPad 2 is the one to go for. Thanks again, you've just saved me €100! :D

You won't be sorry. I love my iPad 2, and can't really see the difference with the Retina screen in the new iPad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Refurb iPad 2 16gb going for €319 but you gotta be quick!

Link

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Thinking of buying someone an iPad for a present but would have some concerns that an older generation model may become obsolete rather quickly, i.e. Apple may not support with future operating system updates e.g. iPhone 3G. Thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about it being obsolete either, the recently launched iPad mini uses the same app specs as iPad 2 (was advertised by apple as keeping it easier for developers). Not sure if they run identical iOS though... Still if they're still selling iPad 2 they're not gonna stop support for it anytime soon.

• Site Banned Posts: 236 ✭✭vader65

the main difference between 2 and 3 is the screen it is alot better. Between 3 and 4 I don't think their is much at lot although havn't really seen it to know for myself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I really hope you didn't. You'd almost make the difference back on resale and you really have decided on the most inferior model you could.

Did you see the difference for yourself in real life? That's the way to make your mind up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Dades wrote: »
    I really hope you didn't. You'd almost make the difference back on resale and you really have decided on the most inferior model you could.

Did you see the difference for yourself in real life? That's the way to make your mind up.

Agree, best value for money is probably to find an iPad3 on sale or refurb from apple... (non in stock at the moment) Only €70 more than a refurb iPad 2, worth it in IMHO http://store.apple.com/ie/product/FC705/refurbished-ipad-with-wi-fi-16gb-black-3rd-generation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

If money is no object then buy the latest and greatest.

iPad 4 with the retina display and A6 chip blows all the other iPads away so why not get it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

dont get a non retina model.... you wont regret it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

see this confuses me why people are so fascinated by resale value, maybe im the exception but i don't buy apple products to sell them on, i bought my ipad to last until it a:broke or b:got so old its useless.

if it was a gift like the op says it was id feel even worse selling on something someone bought me!

op i have the ipad 2 16gb and its perfect for internet browsing and gaming i haven't come close to using the memory (but then i have only a few movies (non hd) and no music on it) the ipad1 is only just becoming obsolete in the game updates im currently downloading so im not worried about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 228 ✭✭Panda Moanium

Haven't had the chance to compare yet myself, but its going to be for an elderly person who has been talking about getting an iPhone because they don't want to feel that technology is leaving them behind. In my opinion an iPad would be a better option with the larger screen / icons, however the person in question is certainly not going to be a heavy user - I'd imagine that Bridge will be about the most data demanding game that will be downloaded!. They're not the kind of person either to sell on as long as it is still working so resale is not a factor.

That said, I'm veering towards a third gen version if I can get one - a few outlets seem to be still selling them for about €30 more than the iPad 2.

Advertisement