Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, yogurt making........

Options
  • 17-12-2012 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭

I have a bit of a fetish, ok it's a full blown addiction for Glenisk vanilla yogurt, I like their Greek yogurt too.

I've sort of been toying with the idea of making my own yogurt, but I can fact the fact and admit that I know SFA about the entire process.

If I were to pursue this, what do I need to know in terms of equipment, ingredients, processes and expense :confused:

Many thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Buy an Easiyo kit, once you have that its pretty easy to make your own yogurt both from their packets and your own milk with added culture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

There are videos on Youtube about making yogurt in a slow cooker, it doesn't look too complicated.
    I've been meaning to try it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrX-dAPd5vY

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Simple.

1. Bring 2 litres milk close to the boil. If you want to flavour it stir in a capfull of vanilla and a little sugar.

2. Allow to cool until you can just hold your finger in there for 10 seconds.

3. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of live yoghurt. Then pour into a flask for 12 hours or put it in a bowl and cover with clingfilm and leave in a warm place overnight. It WILL set.

4. Whisk again before putting into containers.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭mirekb

I make it all the time as follows:

1tblsp plain, live yoghurt
    1 ltr organic milk (makes a difference and is still cheaper than buying the yoghurt!)

Heat up the milk until you can't leave your finger in (just before it scalds)

Pour into a cooling bowl (I just use a big ceramic mixing bowl)

When you can hold your finger in for a count of 10 mix a few ladlefuls with the yoghurt and then add it back into the milk.

Wrap up tightly in clingfilm and then an old towel and bung in the hotpress for a few hours, or overnight. You get different tastes and textures depending on how long you leave it set. Then I decant some into small pots with compote underneath and use other bits for cooking etc. Remember to keep some for your next batch and every now and then use a pot from the supermarket to freshen up the bacteria.

It couldn't be easier!

Edit:donalh087 - great minds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Thanks for all of the replies :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement