Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New eircom wireless router - cant connect computer to it

Options
  • 17-12-2012 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We got a new 'black' router from eircom as the old silver netopia one failed.
    No problems with it, that one computer will only connect to it once every 5 or 6 restart attempts.

We never had a problem with the computer/network card before.

The network card is a pci Belkin wireless G card. Im fairly sure a driver update would help, but its fecking hard to find the driver for it.
    Im using 32 bit win xp. I am unsure if XP has the latest service updates. That may help also

Anyone come across this type of thing before? Not being able to connect to a new router?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Connecting wired or wirelessly?
    If wireless you could try wired first and get into the router settings, fiddle with the wireless stuff.
    Your router and PC won't have the same wireless key if you just plugged the old one out and the new one in...

Ha, your username is a bit ironic... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Logical_Bear

a few things you can try dr

is any other wireless devices(phones) keeping the connection ok? if they are there could be something acting up on yer pc.

if you can connect the pc directly with a cable and type in 192.168.1.254 into a browser and this will bring you to the modem page.The password is broadband1 all small letters.

on the left hand side you should see networks in orange,click that then select wireless and change the network name(SSID) and also the password,then select save down the bottom.disconnect the cable and see if you can now connect wirelessly with no problems(you'll have to rescan for the new network name and type in the new password then)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Thanks lads, tried all those...
    I changed SSID and password etc, and it worked for a while then intermittely it started dropping signal

Phones laptops everything connects to the new router. Wired the computer connects fine.
    Wirelessly with a pci belkin card the computer connects intermittently...

I think its a driver problem...
    I cant fecking find the belkin driver online though

• Registered Users Posts: 13 efourc

Dr Nic wrote: »
    Thanks lads, tried all those...
    I changed SSID and password etc, and it worked for a while then intermittely it started dropping signal

Phones laptops everything connects to the new router. Wired the computer connects fine.
    Wirelessly with a pci belkin card the computer connects intermittently...

I think its a driver problem...
    I cant fecking find the belkin driver online though

Did you try and change the channel in the router from 11 normally to 6 or 7. These normally work better

• Registered Users Posts: 13 efourc

efourc wrote: »

Did you try and change the channel in the router from 11 normally to 6 or 7. These normally work better

If you are using Belkin wireless software change it over to the windows one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement