Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving Cert Ordinary Irish

• 17-12-2012 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hey everyone,
    just wondering do they mark hard on the pass paper? My teacher is usually the Higher teacher but unfortunately there was a change and he puts so much emphasis on how hard it is but every student i have talked to says they didn't do a tap and came out with As and Bs?
    any advice would help,

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

Well, like every subject, work is obviously needed to do well, and more work than that to get an A in. Those people who got an A/B by saying they did no work, were either naturally good at Irish and would have been able for honours, or did actually work for it. It depends what your level of Irish is, obviously if you're a really good Irish speaker (for the oral) and you find it as an easy subject, you could get an A more easily than someone who struggles through the course.

But yeah, saying that, you'll more than likely have to work to get the A. The grades work on a bell curve, so only a percentage of the candidates get that A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

My friend got a B1 in OL Irish despite their teacher being extremely bad and not doing half the course (genuinely - their class couldnt answer a whole question on a story because she never covered it). He asked me for help with a comprehension one day and had these hilariously wrong interpretations of the sentences. :pac: He got very high points overall though, but from what I've heard OL Irish is very easy because of the amount of people who do it (i.e. the lower half of the bell curve has to match the higher end more or less) and the fact that they know it has to be passed for most people. It is also pretty basic, so you can get away with rote-learning it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Just learn the basics for the stories poems and oral and youll be grand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭alleystar

The best thing to do is to get the Less Stress More Success Irish OL revision book- it's brilliant and if you have any old stories/letters from third year HL Irish read over those.

Focus on your oral, that's what I did. It's easy enough to learn off once you known the English translation of it. Oh and try not to spend too much time on the Sraith Pictuir since you're only doing ordinary, learn off general sentences and try and group pictures together that deal with the same scenario so it's easier to learn :)

I ended up getting an A2 and to be totally honest, had no Irish teacher for the two years. The Less Stress More Success book was a God send.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 LauraMcN

Thank you! The Sraith Pictuir seem to be never ending! >:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Went in to me Irish exam without so much as flicking through the book and came out with a B1. P1ss easy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

Its probably got to do with the student but if you should put a lot of work into your oral which is 40% i think. If you can do well in this sure your laughing. I went from a fail in mock did some work for the oral and came out with a B3, Hurlamoc came up for the story wasn't really sure on it, 'ta lisin foirfe' but anyway just put in the work, it really depends on you, what you want to get in it an d if you need a particular grade in it to get in to college goodluck :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

ray2012 wrote: »
    Well, like every subject, work is obviously needed to do well, and more work than that to get an A in. Those people who got an A/B by saying they did no work, were either naturally good at Irish and would have been able for honours, or did actually work for it. It depends what your level of Irish is, obviously if you're a really good Irish speaker (for the oral) and you find it as an easy subject, you could get an A more easily than someone who struggles through the course.

But yeah, saying that, you'll more than likely have to work to get the A. The grades work on a bell curve, so only a percentage of the candidates get that A.

Sorry to jump on you like this, but this notion that there is such a thing as someone that is naturaly good at Irish (or Maths or Science) is a falicy, how well you do is directly related to your motivation, the effort you put in and how you go about applying that effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

There is a such thing as natural aptitude. :confused:
    I was always very motivated, I'm naturally good at languages and they were my highest grades despite the relatively few hours I spent studying them, and I was motivated enough to do HL maths but I only got a C in it despite trying. So he is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭ray2012

An Coilean wrote: »
    Sorry to jump on you like this, but this notion that there is such a thing as someone that is naturaly good at Irish (or Maths or Science) is a falicy, how well you do is directly related to your motivation, the effort you put in and how you go about applying that effort.

I have to disagree with what you said. I see people in my year who don't do much work in a particular subject and they manage to get A's in it. Then there are other people who may spend hours studying it weekly (far more than the lad who got the A) and still not do as well as him.

Like for me, I wouldn't have to do THAT much study for French and I'd still manage to do grand in tests.. This other lad in my class, gets grinds, does hours upon hours of study for each French test, and I still manage to beat him (not boasting in any way, just using it as a comparison)

I suppose you could call a person who is 'naturally good' at a subject, a person who has a talent for that subject, like languages, sciences or whatever it be. Just like one may be able to sing great, without having any singing lessons, in comparison to another who struggles after having many lessons.

• Advertisement
Advertisement