Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SuirSide Radio/Crystal City Sound

Options
  • 17-12-2012 10:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭

Folks, can anyone remember Suir Side Radio and Crystal City Sound, I think they were the same station and owned by the same people but could be wrong. Basically am asking as years ago my dad bought several of their equipment and Vinyl and it was handed down to my brother who is now leaving Ireland but when we were going through all the stuff last week we found 2 large box's of personnel stuff such as financial statments and photographs, my bother said he was going to dump it all but there was hundreds of photographs in the stuff that had Crystal City Sound/Suirside on outside, I got the impression the photos were from the owner but can't be certain, there is a lot of pictures of a woman and what appears to be her son and pictures of this woman who she was younger. None of the pictures have names apart from one photo album which has the name Sheehan. I did few checks on line regading who owned suirside and the name Kevin Turner comes up but there is no mention of him in any of this stuff. I would like to return these pictures to whoever owns them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

A local fella by the name of Brian Kennedy just released a book about a month ago called Radio Blaa Blaa, its about ABC / WLR and Suirside... he would be the right chap to contact, im sure you can reach him through Roddie Cleere or Konor Halpin or any of the other radio anoraks :-) im sure they would be delighted to get the pics etc.. they were all at the book launch and would have been the right time to meet them all.. let me know if you need contact details for and of the lads...

H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Must get that book. I'm still waiting for alinton to dish the dirt. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3 writerbk

Rafa if you have those snaps I'd be very interested in looking at them. Getting them back to the exact owner would be hard but I'd know a few names.
    I'm the one wrote Radio Blaa Blaa and a lot of those snaps could be in the book, but I'm figuring more of them are not.

Regards
    Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

writerbk wrote: »
    Rafa if you have those snaps I'd be very interested in looking at them. Getting them back to the exact owner would be hard but I'd know a few names.
    I'm the one wrote Radio Blaa Blaa and a lot of those snaps could be in the book, but I'm figuring more of them are not.

Regards
    Brian

Hi, is your book at the Book Center?

mike65 wrote: »

Hi, is your book at the Book Center?
    Yes only place u can get it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭waterford

Anything thing in the book about Dungarvan Community Radio (D.C.R.) were Timmy and Sean served their time as DJs when they were in short pants and the Mary D---- Show with her Good Byeeeeee at the end of the show each morning

waterford wrote: »
    Anything thing in the book about Dungarvan Community Radio (D.C.R.) were Timmy and Sean served their time as DJs when they were in short pants and the Mary D---- Show with her Good Byeeeeee at the end of the show each morning

Yes two pages on dcr in it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The woman and son are probably Grace Sheehan and son Brian.

She managed and co-owned Suirside for a good while. (And was my boss there!)

I've no idea where she is these days though.

I'm sure someone would love to get that stuff back, please don't bin it! If no-one else from that era comes forward I'd love to have a look, I was there in the early 80s.

Oh, there's dirt alright!

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

alinton wrote: »
    The woman and son are probably Grace Sheehan and son Brian.

She managed and co-owned Suirside for a good while. (And was my boss there!)

I've no idea where she is these days though.

I'm sure someone would love to get that stuff back, please don't bin it! If no-one else from that era comes forward I'd love to have a look, I was there in the early 80s.

Oh, there's dirt alright!

A.

Think you may be right, I got a private message from someone that mentioned the above names that went to school with Bryan(Spelt with Y according to message) and he thought his mother owned Suirside, anyway he is friends with him on Facebook(He wouldnt pass on his mobile number!) and told me to contact him that way and see, he said Brian no longer lives in Waterford but didn't know what the story was with rest of family, if the stuff isn't belong to them I will contact some of the people here who were involved with the station and hand them over, but I won't bin them!.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

A fascinating book. It was interesting to see all those names again and to realise the damage that the scumbag Ray Burke did to Ireland and the Irish broadcasting industry. Even in a recession there was enough business to support three radio stations in Waterford city. The 57 year old head quote is sheer brilliance. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Book sounds interesting! I remember both stations very well. ABC Power 104.. Most of the lads who worked there used to session with us from Preachers. Will get the book after Christmas for sure!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lucy lue

Rafa1977 wrote: »
    Folks, can anyone remember Suir Side Radio and Crystal City Sound, I think they were the same station and owned by the same people but could be wrong. Basically am asking as years ago my dad bought several of their equipment and Vinyl and it was handed down to my brother who is now leaving Ireland but when we were going through all the stuff last week we found 2 large box's of personnel stuff such as financial statments and photographs, my bother said he was going to dump it all but there was hundreds of photographs in the stuff that had Crystal City Sound/Suirside on outside, I got the impression the photos were from the owner but can't be certain, there is a lot of pictures of a woman and what appears to be her son and pictures of this woman who she was younger. None of the pictures have names apart from one photo album which has the name Sheehan. I did few checks on line regading who owned suirside and the name Kevin Turner comes up but there is no mention of him in any of this stuff. I would like to return these pictures to whoever owns them.
    Hi, I and paddy nolan was the last owners of the station. We would love to have this stuff back please, as regards the photos we would know all concerned and would be in a position to return them. Thanks look forward to hearing from you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafa1977

lucy lue wrote: »
    Hi, I and paddy nolan was the last owners of the station. We would love to have this stuff back please, as regards the photos we would know all concerned and would be in a position to return them. Thanks look forward to hearing from you

I contacted the son of one of the previous owners and he said he will take a look when he is free. He said he doesn't have time as the moment, so maybe not until February, as he no longer lives in Waterford. I will make sure everything is returned to the right owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 roypod

Heathen wrote: »
    A local fella by the name of Brian Kennedy just released a book about a month ago called Radio Blaa Blaa, its about ABC / WLR and Suirside... he would be the right chap to contact, im sure you can reach him through Roddie Cleere or Konor Halpin or any of the other radio anoraks :-) im sure they would be delighted to get the pics etc.. they were all at the book launch and would have been the right time to meet them all.. let me know if you need contact details for and of the lads...

H

I just came across your post now........IF YOU STILL NEED INFO LET ME KNOW.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

I know who they are, the guy was in my class in school. Brian , his mother had something to do with the station or where it was based off of Ballybricken, where they are now im not sure though, altho he is on facebook so can ask him

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Deisedayo

Know a few lads worked on it. Have you still got some of the stuff

Advertisement