Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neck tattoo

Options
  • 17-12-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey there...thinking of getting a tattoo on my neck behind my ear...just a bit of writing...just a bit apprehensive about getting a tatt somewhere so visible with job interviews and that...also would behind the ear be seen as a kindof feminine place for a tatt? thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭greenybaby

If you are apprehensive about the location then you have answered your own question

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Depp wrote: »
    Hey there...thinking of getting a tattoo on my neck behind my ear...just a bit of writing...just a bit apprehensive about getting a tatt somewhere so visible with job interviews and that...also would behind the ear be seen as a kindof feminine place for a tatt? thanks

I wouldn't be worried about it being a feminine place for a tattoo ( I have mostly seen it on girls but some fellas) its down to what you want! However no matter how much we have progressed as a society visible tattoos , In my opinion, in professional workplaces are still very frowned upon I have one on the back of my neck but I made sure I could cover it up with the collar of my shirt! I've worked in places clothes shops, toy shops, call centers and in bars and none of those employers cared about visible tattoos. But now trying to get a job with my degree all the employers have a strict policy on it. But this is all just my experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

behind the ear would be very dificlt to conceal...unless i could just angle my head correctly...:P...really torn cause i really want it aswel...ill probably end up gettin it anyway...thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭niallam

Have you other tattoos?
    Personally I wouldn't ever get neck or hand tattoos, even now I can cover mine all easily enough.
    As already said society in general views tattoos differently than tattood people do, especially neck tattoos.
    I know artists that won't tattoo necks or hands on people that aren't already heavily tattood, I've been getting inked and they turned 2 people away in 1 day :)

yeah ive a few but my most obvious one i have at the minute is on the inside of my forearm so its handy enough to conceal...id have a good few more if i had the money ha

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

You'll probably find that if you're not already heavily tattood a lot of places will be extremely apprehensive about tattooing you in such a visible place. I was politely turned away from a studio when I went in to inquire about getting one there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

No just no. Seriously if you're not massively inked, hands and head should be off limits for ink

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Fuck it, if it's something you want and would make you happy, go for it I say.

Life's too short.

• Site Banned Posts: 152 ✭✭CUPimus

I don't behind the ear is feminine,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Arawn wrote: »
    No just no. Seriously if you're not massively inked, hands and head should be off limits for ink

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

My cousin has a tattoo behind her ear of a butterfly. Has never been an issue with her getting work as a secondary school teacher. It's well hidden and I never noticed it for nearly a year.

If it's small it shouldn't affect work, but then it does depend on the work you do I guess. Neither do I think it's a feminine place for a tattoo.

kinda made a decision...gonna leave the neck for a while and concentrate on my arms and shoulders...thinkin about something along these lines next
    wing-upper-arm-tattoo.jpg?m=1333018899

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    My cousin has a tattoo behind her ear of a butterfly. Has never been an issue with her getting work as a secondary school teacher. It's well hidden and I never noticed it for nearly a year.

If it's small it shouldn't affect work, but then it does depend on the work you do I guess. Neither do I think it's a feminine place for a tattoo.

Does she have long hair? As I would imagine that's why its easier to hide.

Does she have long hair? As I would imagine that's why its easier to hide.

yeah thats prolly true...im no skinhead but i do like to keep my hair faily short

Depp wrote: »
    kinda made a decision...gonna leave the neck for a while and concentrate on my arms and shoulders...thinkin about something along these lines next
    wing-upper-arm-tattoo.jpg?m=1333018899

Yeah man better off, I would absolutely love a big tattoo on the side of my neck but its not very realistic (over employers) to be honest I am hoping at some stage in my life I will be able to get it though. I like that wing tattoo by the way. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Adiboo wrote: »
    Fuck it, if it's something you want and would make you happy, go for it I say.

Life's too short.

That's my motto too, but life can be long enough to suffer if you have a tattoo in an obvious place that you were hesitant about getting in the first place and that may very well prevent you from getting a job that you really want down the line.

If it makes a difference, I have no tattoos, a few ear piercings but I don't wear them any more. I would love to have a ton of tattoos, but I'd rather be in my current line of work than have to worry about the problems that tattoos bring. Each to their own, but a neck / hand tattoo surely requires some serious, serious thought, more so than any other area of the body.

Yeah man better off, I would absolutely love a big tattoo on the side of my neck but its not very realistic (over employers) to be honest I am hoping at some stage in my life I will be able to get it though. I like that wing tattoo by the way. Best of luck!
    wait till after you retire man! haha...never grow up

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Anti Ka

The same old story isn't it... ''What do other people think...?''

People adorn their homes with art of some discription.. You choose to carry it around with you - What's the difference?

You are only a tenant of planet Earth... One hundred years from now, nobody will even remember you (sad..but true..).

If you want to get a tattoo behind your ear - Do it.

Why seek approval from boards.ie??

If being inked means something to you.... and if it's not a spur of the moment thing... Then be damned to what people think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Anti Ka wrote: »

People adorn their homes with art of some discription.. You choose to carry it around with you - What's the difference?

You are only a tenant of planet Earth... One hundred years from now, nobody will even remember you (sad..but true..).

If being inked means something to you.... and if it's not a spur of the moment thing... Then be damned to what people think!!
    Actually yes, care what people think because like most of the population you will be relying on someone else for employment and visible tattoo's very rarely help

Anti Ka wrote: »

not good advice at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

A lot of advice being given here but to be honest Im leaning on the side of the "no" campaign!!!!!

Having visible tattoos depends on where you want to be with your career.If you work in the industry or in any industry where you dont have to deal with the public or the small mindedness of some employers then by all means go for it.

However if your employer is old school then you will be frowned on having it done and it will affect furure employment prospects.

Me--Id have plenty of highly visible tattoos if I didnt have to have a job,pay the mortgage etc.Im not even allowed a lobe piercing in my current job.My last employer (doing the exact same job) didnt even mind short sleeved shirts/visible piercings etc as long as the job was done.

Thats the difference--you dont know a potential employers feelings on visible ink and thats a chance you cant take in an interview situation.

Now when I win the lotto Ill be getting a full facial tattoo , all the facial piercings I can put up with in one sitting and show up for work on Monday for work as normal ;););)

Advertisement