Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kreiger and Douglas

Options
  • 17-12-2012 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Has anyone insight into Krieger or Douglas barrels?

Was saving up to buy a new rifle some time late next year, but may need to buy it sooner than later.

Let's call the price of the rifle x.

Douglas blue barrel = x + $25

Krieger Stainless barrel = x + $350

So the obvious question, are Krieger barrels worth the extra dosh?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭tomcat220t

Hi Fisma, what caliber ?
    Regards,Tomcat .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Hi Fisma, what caliber ?
    Regards,Tomcat .

7.62mm/308

Hi Fisma, Douglas do different grade barrels and Kreiger only do one grade .
    Douglas is button and Kreiger are cut .
    So depends on what grade Douglas barrel you have priced .
    All things been equal my money would be on Kreiger been the better barrel .
    Is the difference in price going to reflect in the accuracy ...prob. not .
    I would still pick Kreiger ;) Great barrels :cool:
    Regards,Tomcat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I've had a Douglas 'air-gauged' barrel on both my 22-250 and .220 Swift since 1973 and 1975 respectively. Both of them have had a few thousand down them since then, but TBH, I'm not counting. Both still shoot five-shot groups about 3/4". If that's not good enough for you, then by all means go for Krieger barrels.

One is from the USA and one is from Germany - but these days, a Douglas barrel in any calibre will cost you more than $25 extra...if you can get a Krieger barrel for $350 you must know somebody in the factory!

How about Border Barrels? They are not English, if that matters to you, and I know it matters to some here, and their Archer series are very good,

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

What about german walther barrels , are they not up to snuff ?

http://www.lothar-walther.de/3.php

• Advertisement

tac foley wrote: »
    I've had a Douglas 'air-gauged' barrel on both my 22-250 and .220 Swift since 1973 and 1975 respectively. Both of them have had a few thousand down them since then, but TBH, I'm not counting. Both still shoot five-shot groups about 3/4". If that's not good enough for you, then by all means go for Krieger barrels.

One is from the USA and one is from Germany - but these days, a Douglas barrel in any calibre will cost you more than $25 extra...if you can get a Krieger barrel for $350 you must know somebody in the factory!

How about Border Barrels? They are not English, if that matters to you, and I know it matters to some here, and their Archer series are very good,

tac
    Hi Tac ,Border barrel won the European F-Class Championships 2013 a few weeks ago:cool:
    Bartlein barrel won the European FTR Championships 2013 ,aswell .
    Regards,Tomcat.

rowa wrote: »
    What about german walther barrels , are they not up to snuff ?

http://www.lothar-walther.de/3.php
    Hi Rowa,had a lothar -Walther barrel and it shot very well .
    Easy to clean,too .
    Regards,Tomcat .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

The barrels I mentioned are standard on the firearm I was thinking about getting - M21.

The prices were from different dealers, hence, the prices did not solely reflect the change in barrels.

I really cannot afford [money wise] to buy the rifle until mid-late next year. However, I also cannot afford to wait, time wise, until then to buy.

Not sure if anyone is watching, but gun sales went crazy the other day. Story.

People are starting to hoard every black gun, magazine, and box of ammo they can buy.

I looked on line at the usual places for the M21 and they are almost all back-ordered. Then I tried the AR50A1B, same story. Unless, you are a lefty, you're out of luck!

FWIW, even the cheaper, no-name lowers, which usually go for under $100, on the cheap, are now well over $200

Hi Fisma,if funds are tight then go with your Douglas ,mate .
    Still a custom hand lapped barrel .
    Regards ,Tomcat .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I have heard from a number of places that Lothar Walther barrels are very, very hard, to the extent that some gunsmiths will charge you for the reamer due to wear while chambering (Not sure whether this applies to any of our domestic guys). Some say this makes them hard wearing and long lasting, but any I've had the pleasure to shoot have been screamers, so I'd certainly be happy enough with them.

• Advertisement

Many custom builders here in Europe use Lothar Walther barrels, including Keppeler. Of course there is nothing 'wrong' with them, just that the OP seems to be located in the USA, and has a whale of custom barrel builders to choose from - like Lilja, not got a mention so far.

tac

tomcat220t wrote: »
    Hi Tac ,Border barrel won the European F-Class Championships 2013 a few weeks ago:cool:
    Bartlein barrel won the European FTR Championships 2013 ,aswell .
    Regards,Tomcat.

Darn this 'lost in translation' thing again.

I was pointing out that Border barrels did not get a mention. I was NOT saying that they were not good enough.

What to do I have to say, and how do I have to say it, to make that clearer?

tac

Advertisement