Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heart Rate Training Zones

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

godtabh wrote: »
    I'm far from an elite athlete but I am an engineer and I like to review data to assess progress.

For example last year I ran about 1500 km this year it's about 850km but I've added about 2500km on the bike.

The HR data is just another set of data. It doesn't dictate my training but it is a reference point.

I did the test this morning. 5 minute warm up. Then flatout* for 30 minutes with a 10 and 20 minute lap. The average heart rate for the 20 minute lap was 180.

*i picked a pace that I could maintain but I think I could do it again at a slightly higher pace. I'll use it as a starting point.

Not exactly flat out then was it? :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I would have bought one if I could afford one!

He's right though. Power meters are where it's at when it comes to data. I had a lend of one(and the bike attached) a while ago, it's a real eye opener.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    Not exactly flat out then was it? :p

Ah I was close enough.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sorry to bring this up again. I'm looking to do a LTHR test. can anyone recommend a good TT course around DUBOIN 18/Wicklow to carry out the LTHR test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Sorry to bring this up again. I'm looking to do a LTHR test. can anyone recommend a good TT course around DUBOIN 18/Wicklow to carry out the LTHR test?

Have a look on Strava for a good 20km flat segment...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

The N81

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭54and56

I hope resurrecting this thread isn't a problem but it's on topic so here goes, please feel free to move/close admonish me if necessary Mods!!

So I just turned 50 and have had an intermittent fitness regime over the years which generally involved gym based cardio 2-3 times a week and 5km - 10km runs (not breaking any speed records) at the weekends.

That changed 4 years ago when the cartilage ruptured in my knee when on a treadmill one morning. 12 months and one operation plus lots of physio later my running days were over and my cycling days had begun so now my typical week is 2 spin classes, a general weights program 3 times a week and one 80km - 120km cycle with my local club Sunday morning, again not breaking any speed records.

I'm 183cm and currently 96kg which I would like to reduce to 90kg or a bit lower.

I recently invested in a Heart Rate monitor (£25 delivered) and to test it out this morning I did a particularly challenging Spin class which really pushed me to my limit on a few occasions i.e. I was close to quitting the particular sequence to do a recovery but I stuck with it. I was (and still feel an hour later) completely wrecked which is good.

These are the HR results from the session. HR training is completely new to me so I'll gather some data over a few more classes, read up on how to train efficiently and hopefully train better as a result but in the meantime I'd be interested to get opinions from people here as to what they think is good/bad about the data, where I should be looking to improve or what I should try and avoid etc.

Screenshot201807271106081532686022.png

Screenshot201807271104141532685911.png

Screenshot201807271048541532685172.png

The app I'm using BTW is https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.myworkouts

Advertisement